• This topic has 187 replies, 162 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)
  • Who's still on a 26"?
  • pickle
    Free Member

Yep, only have a 26 and have no intention of changing.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Yep.
    26″ Preservation Society

NormalMan

I have a 29er ht but of the usual suspects I ride with 5 out of the 6 are on 26ers.

That said my fat bike is 26 and has become my main bike now!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

26 here, Giant Anthem full susser and XTC hardtail. Was looking to trade them both in for a more trail orientated 29er hard tail but seemingly pretty much worthless now so will be keeping them a bit longer!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I can’t edit my post, but I should have said that I got the bike that fit the bill, which was for a long-ish (well, 120mm) off the shelf trail hardtail. At the time that meant 26″, and I’m happy with it. The following year, it would probably have meant 650b, which I’d probably also have been happy with.

nwill1
    Free Member

3 x 26″ here…I use my brakes far too much…would have to use them even more if the wheels were bigger as they’re quicker…right?

kayla1
    Free Member

26″ HT here. I did have a go on a 650B Onza Jackpot at the NEC but other than it being a nice colour and it having a tapered head tube it didn’t really feel any different to my current bike.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

26er and no plans to change … ever!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If it ain’t broke – don’t fix it…….26 all round!

orangeorange
    Free Member

Yep times 2,still love my Neon Orange 5 and bought a s/h Zesty last year in 26 too.
    TBH I`m tempted to sell both to buy something more modern in 27.5 but no great rush,love both bikes anyway

langylad
    Free Member

26 for me. I do have to say it is getting harder to find smaller parts, such as a replacement for an axle i snapped last year. It would appear that the majority of riders are still on 26 so you would have thought someone would be trying to fill a lucrative gap in the market and manufacture the appropriate parts.

cloudnine
    Free Member

26er Transition Covert is my only MTB

ads678

2×26 here, Ragley Blue pig and Commencal Meta AM.

zerocool

26 here, but will probably go 650b when I upgrade, although it’ll be a while as my bike is only 3 3/4 years old and still great at what it does (downhill fast)

poah
    Free Member

26 dartmoor hornet built up before xmas

adsh
    Free Member

I race and train on 29ers but I have a 2013 Flux which I can’t bring myself to sell. It makes me smile every time I look at it even though I don’t ride it much. When I do ride it I need a better eye for lines, sharper reflexes and a lot more respect for ruts. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not for my XC riding but it’s a different sort of fun.

thecaptain
    Free Member

All 26″ here, newest bike is about 2012ish. If I was in the market for a new bike I’d probably go 29″, but the current collection stubbornly refuse to break. (Actually one did break the swingarm a couple of years ago, but the fix was by far the cheapest solution.)

mcnultycop

2x 26 and a 700c here.

I’ve just not bought a new mtb in the last 3 years.

peteimpreza

Four MTBs in two countries .

All 26″ and 3 X 9 .

When I ride the. I never think I want/ need bigger wheels .

I do think 2 X 11 would be worth trying .

mindmap3
    Free Member

reckon 650b has put of as many buyers as it’s won. I don’t think many people are “upgrading” to 650b, rather it’s coincidental to upgrading the bike they owned.

I thbkin in that category. I didn’t really want a 650b bike, but the frame I liked was 650b so I took the plunge. I can’t say it’s night and day compared to the old frame, but I do like it. I then figured when buying my Ti, dropping that kind of money on a frame I wasn’t buying one the industry is trying to kill off.

downshep

4 bikes with 26″ wheels. Two rigids with 8 speed and V brakes, a hardtail and full suss, both with 9 speed and discs. Three are from the 90s, newest is a 2005 model. They ain’t broke and don’t need fixing, the cost of marginally upgrading would also be prohibitive.

edhornby

Voodoo bokor 2010 vintage that refuses to die. Was thinking about slowly amassing a 29er via classifieds but the current one works and isn’t worth moving on (2nd hand values isn’t much if anything) so I’m sticking

crazy-legs

Not only is my bike a 26 but all the components on it are so old as to be pretty much obsolete or at least bloody difficult to get spares for.

2003 Cove Stiffee with RS Psylo forks (one of the good ones, they still work perfectly although at the last service they had, Tim Flooks said it’d probably be their last!)
    Dual Control levers
    ISIS BB and chainset (triple no less!)
    9sp
    25.8mm bars/stem

So as soon as something breaks, it will necessitate changing most of the other stuff on there. 🙁

The poor thing is battered to hell although it still just soldiers on steadily; I do sometimes think about a total strip, respray and rebuild with some new parts but to be honest it’d be easier and more practical to just get a new bike.

andytherocketeer

Still 26

2008-ish model Soul. I bought it as a bike for life, and have no intention of replacing it.

I must admit that I am seriously and frankly amazed that such a wheel size can rotate in “very round” circles, given that it is deficient by 25mm in diameter compared to the “right” and “most perfect” wheel, that inherits only the positives of other diameters and none of the compromises.

The trails must be well dead here though, what with it being 26er, 3×9, fixed seat post, bars less than 820mm wide, a massively stretched 60mm stem, and at 120mm a fork suspension length that doesn’t even register on the acceptable lengths list any more. Oh and 9/10mm quick releases.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Nope, sold my 26″ hummer and my 26″ pivot mach 5.7 last year, 29 and 29+ only for me, though I really want a Surly Wednesday, so I guess I will go back!

colournoise

Orange Alpine 160 26 (2014)
    Cotic BFE (2012) – 26
    Identiti Mr Hyde (2010) – 26
    DMR Trailstar mk2 (2001) – 26
    Lee Cooper XC (1996) – 26
    Peugeot pub/rat bike (1992ish) – 26

and wife has a Spesh Hardrock (2010ish) – 26

Totally behind the times in our biking household…

Northwind

Just been doing some work on the trusty Ragley but tbh it’s not been ridden much recently, it’s all been the clownwheeled mincetank and the fatbike- which is a 26er too I suppose. But I think just because they’re newer really. Also, usually I bitch about depreciation but even if I rarely ride it I’ll still justify keeping it as “it’s not worth anything any more”. 😆

(I think Brant might come and stab me if I bolt it into the turbo though…)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup, 26 only. BFe and Cover (2012) plus my original hardrock from 2005 t and have a build project for a Prince Albert Classic, 2012 frame I’ve had since new, use up some old wheels from my 2007 Reign. No infention of buying anything else size wise at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1 26″ and 1 29″.

In the end they are both just tools

BillMC

Genesis Core 40
    Maverick Ml7

26 doesn’t give me any grief, why change?

Matt24k
    Free Member

From the purely anecdotal evidence on this thread it really would appear that the MTB Industry has shot itself in the foot with all the 29er is better gumph. Especially as they tried to follow it up with actually what we meant was 650b is better unless we can flog you a Fat Bike cos any phule knows that 26 is best for Fat.
    Don’t even go there with the plus sizes. I thought that was fashion for chubby chicks but it turns out to be not only a slightly larger diameter but also a slightly fatter tyre.
    I know the marketing for these new sizes has actually put me off buying a new bike and it would seem I am not alone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the purely anecdotal evidence on this thread it really would appear that the MTB Industry has shot itself in the foot with all the 29er is better gumph.

Really, it’s very anecdotal like putting a sign up saying free beer for gingers and having a bar full of gingers.
    Also stw is full of die hards.

First thing is good bikes are good for reasons beyond their wheel sizes.
    I wouldn’t swap my 29r, it is a great bike.
    Sometimes people over think stuff.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Sometimes people over think stuff.

And come up with the idea that a bigger wheel size is better 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s different it has different characteristics, put the right package together and it can be different/better.
    There were some shitty 26″ bikes out there too.
    If we do what we always have done we will get the same results. Try changing some things see what happens, maybe we will end up with something that works. Just keep doing the same and you will never know.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Really??

You’re basing that on what evidence?

Rather, I see this thread as being evidence that there are many who see there 26″ bikes as being perfectly capable regardless of what the industry tries to tell them….

If we were all diehards we’d still be on penny farthings….

thecaptain
    Free Member

I thought STW was full of fashion victims who had to upgrade every 3 months.

athgray
    Free Member

26″ Canyon here from 2012 and 26″ Kona from 2010. No plans to change.

Klunk
    Free Member

I know, some of us don’t use strava either.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Building up a lovely carbon Covert today with my son.

I have a beautiful custom sprayed Lapierre Zesty ’09 that I would love to build up but fear it would never get ridden so for now it is just several box loads of bits.

I also have an Evil Sovereign that is currently in 26 light build mode…. such a great bike.

I also have a couple of 29ers and a 29 HT I run 650+… I have no hate for different wheel sizes, i’m just a bloke who loves bikes.

Anyone interested in a Zesty ’09 frame or pretty smart full build give me a shout…. or anything else for that matter…. I have enough frames and bits to build a wide range of 26 bikes.

cookeaa

If we do what we always have done we will get the same results. Try changing some things see what happens, maybe we will end up with something that works. Just keep doing the same and you will never know.

While I appreciate your positivity, I don’t think you can really look at the whole 27.5 thing as some sort of grand, philanthropic experiment by the bicycle industry. It’s quite clearly a cynical marketing driven exercise in obsolescence, inspired by the success of 29ers (which I think a few of them were slightly surprised by TBH) which isn’t all that odd really.

Perhaps we’ve had it a bit too good for a bit too long, other markets have this sort of thing, planned obsolescence is just part of how the capitalist in charge keep their business ticking over…

They didn’t do it out of the goodness of their hearts or help make bicycles in some way better.

don’t confuse change with progress or improvement, 27.5 wheels are just change, not appreciably better or worse than 26″ just newer…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Who's still on a 26"?’ is closed to new replies.