• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Who's ready for some proper football?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

NFL season kicked off last night and this Sunday see's my babies the Steelers at home to the Falcons, . . . I will be watching via gamepss and ignoring the missus for a good few hours, . . arrrrrr heaven.

Here we go Steelers, . . here we go!

Anyone else?

Call me crazy, . . but I got money on the hated Brownies to beat Tampa bay!

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh…American Soccer. Sorry I thought you meant proper football.*

*….you knew that was coming right? 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Pedant mode alert

If it were 'American soccer' they would be playing it under Association Fooball rules would they not, thereby making it the same as 'real' soccer.

If it were 'proper' football then they would be playing rugby football as that code was the first of all the various forms of football to be codified – in fact Association Football grew out of Rugby Football when various types wanted to allow tackling with the feet rather than the hands.

Pedant mode off. 😛

Jamie
    Free Member

@ muddydwarf

STW is no place for a well thought out rebuttal!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All I know is I've got tickets for the 49ers versus the Broncos at Wembley in October. To say I'm looking forward to it is a slight understatement.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Deadly, I might be going too gotta try grab a couple of tic next week. C ya in the green man for a bevy?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

in fact Association Football grew out of Rugby Football

[whiny geeky pedant voice] I think you'll find… [/whiny geeky pedant voice]

..that Rugby was a development of the game played by kicking the ball with your feet.

Yankee Football is some minority sport that hardly anyone plays really. Will probbly die out within the next 20-30 years or so, as more and more people realise how shit it actually is.

Proper football is truly the Global Game.

loddrik
    Free Member

Funnily enough I've just finished watching the saints Vikings game on sky plus. Love the NFL and eagerly anticipating the coming season.

I hope Brady is back to his best though.

I don't support the Pats but it's always good to watch a good west coast offense in full flow.

white101

missed the tickets for the wembley game this year, looking forward to another season, anybody tried the fantasy games?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

there are more tix available Mon at 10.00am ticketmaster.

rOcKeTdOg

and channel 4 is doing a live Sunday night game, anyone know if Carlson is punditing?

Hairychested
    Free Member

[pedant mode] Gaelic football is older than rugby. [/pedant mode]

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Actually Fred, there were many variations of the game 'football' but Rugby Football was the first codified sport in the UK. Association Football split from the Rugby Football code about ten yrs after it was codified because of the aforementioned tackling issue. Apparently the Rugby bods thought tackling with the feet to be ungentlemanly.
    Association Football is a younger sport than Rugby. Many local variants have been played around the UK for centuries but the game wasn't codified til 1863 i believe?

Rugby (School) rules were laid down sometime between 1820-1830.

Before 1863 rules had to be agreed before play because teams often played to wildly different rules, some of which allowed for the handling of the ball. In fact, ball handling during 'football' games is mentioned in rports of the game(s) from the 13th/14th Centuries onwards.

The definite ban on any form of handling the ball in Association Football was a way of finally separating the game from Rugby Football.

Kuco

Panthers are live on sky sports sunday 🙂 Though I don't think we are going to do to good this season 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Who's ready for some proper football?’ is closed to new replies.