Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Who still uses rim brakes?
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

offroad, not on the road as i’m sure we all have a road bike 8)

qwerty
    Free Member

I have them on my 29er SS, my 26er SS & CX bike.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Not on my 29er but do on my hipster bridleway bomber. Some nice Pauls Racers.

I wouldn’t rule them out on a mtb.

Northwind

On my cross bike and commuter, but they are ****, it’s only expense that’s stopped me changing. You can make them work well with time and expense but hell with that.

mintimperial

Cheap V-brakes on my commuter, it does go offroad for maybe 40-50% of my commute to avoid traffic. They’re actually pretty good.

spacemonkey

That last MTB I rode with anything other than discs was when borrowing a mate’s bike back in about 2004.

samuri
    Free Member

On my CX bike. There’s a bit of a delay in the wet/mud sometimes but hey, a shock is as good as a rest.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Loads of people use them. Most road bikes for a start. Loads of people use them for world tourers to keep it simple. Fixies use em a lot.

People running double dingle out back use em for quick gear ratio change without faff.

I’ve got XT disc latest ones but my next bike will be rim brake out back with double dingle. I dont have a beard or wear flip flops neither. Go figure.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yup, on my one do-it-all MTB, as does the missus, but all our kids have discs.

dawson

Yep, still use them on my SS bike – which was originally intended only as a ‘winter’ bike (when discs would be better for the clag!)

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve got some magura HS33s on my ss

a faff to set up properly but they work quite well (in the dry)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have a pair of M970s with matching levers on the Thorn. I use Swisstop Blue cartridge pads and Rigida Andra 30 Carbide-coated rims.

Love them. In the dry I could do a front flip on a fully loaded tourer on the flat.

In the wet you’d better start breaking 3 seconds early, ‘cos nothing happens ’till the rim is swept dry!

I was thinking about chopping 1/4 of the blue pads off and slipping a piece of soft compound rubber ones in there.

HS33s are similar, but a little more vulnerable. They require less maintenance- cables are still gonna get full of smegs every few months.

gmex619
    Free Member

Yep. Got a few rims brake sets.

Prefer magura power too usual v though..

avdave2

I’ve got one on the back of my off road commuter. Stopping is fine in the dry and I’ve got a BB7 at the front so even in crap conditions it stops. The rims are ceramic and nearly 7 years old but are still good. The thing I hate about them though is the mud they collect. I’ve thought about getting disc tabs added but I’d also have the expense of getting the Rohloff converted.

trevron73
    Free Member

Got some Magura HS33 on my beast of the east they are very good till the rain ,they are stealth black though not Lairy green ? They were the mutts nuts in ’97

SaxonRider

My brother. I gave him my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 as payment for some work he did and, as only a periodic enthusiast, has not had occasion to upgrade or buy a new bike.

But for his purposes, they work fine.

bigdawg
    Free Member

Me – still got xtr v’s on my Kona, still use it for racing most weekends….

Im just too tight to upgrade to discs, but then the bike is nearly 20 years old…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

trevron73 – Member
    Got some Magura HS33 on my beast of the east they are very good till the rain ,they are stealth black though not Lairy green ? They were the mutts nuts in ’97

You mean “Race Line Yellow” 🙂

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yup, on the rear of my M2 Stumpy.

curlie467
    Free Member

Yep, on my only bike, a SS DMR trailstar, I only run a rear brake too as my front lever fell apart. Gets interesting at times.

kcal

yep. hybrid (now son’s bike) had them. no real need to upgrade change.
    Singlespeed has them for well simplicity. Hardtail (M2 Stumpy) has disc front (upgraded forks, so could add disc), but rear is still V-brake.

Mongrel M2 Stumpy (yes, another one) has Vs front and rear too. Again, simple.

wordnumb. Is yours Mango / yellow from about 1998?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Yup got f&r M950 on my retro rockhopper, still work brilliantly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Had tiny disks on the SS until not long ago which were possibly even less effective (wouldn’t actually lock up!).

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve ridden my 85 Ritchey a few times lately. Canti front, rollercam rear.

Squeezing the brake levers harder has no correlation with stopping faster! 😯 I think that the fork or chainstays just flex more. After using discs for many years, I find those old rim brakes shockingly bad.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I have a old ish killi flyer that i use summer time on my local ride with my mates
    It’s got xtr v brakes so works very well . But just a pain in the mud

asterix
    Free Member

I have XT Vs oN my one retro M900 – no option to change to discs

kiwijohn

I still run V’s on my 95 DBR Axis TT. No option really, but it’s only used in summer.

trailhound
    Free Member

Another 1 with XTR V’s on my Pace RC200 – not too bad at all really unless its proper filthy out

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my mates tandem has a disk and a v brake on the rear wheel – the v brake is a parking brake.

wordnumb
    Free Member

kcal –

wordnumb. Is yours Mango / yellow from about 1998?

Nope, blue Comp, for stealthy camouflage in the rain. Awesome frame, just a shame one can’t use a disk on the rear (without a clunky bodge). Having said that, I’ve never needed any more braking power on the back than the v provides.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Who still uses rim brakes?’ is closed to new replies.