Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Who still runs a triple up front?
  • cinnamon_girl

Yep, 8 speed triple and 9 speed triple. Suits me, as does 26″ wheels. 🙂

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

8,9 & 10 speed & 26′ wheels here.
    The road bike runs a double.

kcal

MTB – hardtail has triple, 8 speed (26″)
    road – easy compact double

general purpose – currently transferring to a triple as well.

plus a SS MTB and a fixed frankenbike.

AD

3 x 9 (22,32,44, 11-32 cassette) on my 26″ Flux (with a Race Face 1/2 bash which solves the apparently ‘massive’ problem of bent chain rings).

1 x 9 (34, 11-32 cassette) on my 26″ Bontrager.

To be honest I do miss the bigger gears on the Bontrager but no doubt I’ll end up with a 1 x 11 (or similar) on my next bike.

Sundayjumper

My FS & HT are both 3×9. Granny ring for the steepest climbs, middle ring for most singletrack, big ring for descents and road sections. I don’t understand people who claim front mechs are difficult, that coping with two mechs at once is hard. Do they have trouble with other multi-tasking situations, like walking and breathing at the same time ?

I also don’t believe weight saving being a big part of the change to 1x, because weight doesn’t seem to be any kind of concern anywhere else nowadays with trail bikes generally being 30lbs or so. My HT with one of those OMG IT’S SO HEAVY front mechs still comes in under 20lbs because I do care about the weight of everything.

I changed my wife’s bike to 2×10 only because a cheap groupset came up and I’d already been planning to upgrade the cheap rubbish that came as stock. She just leaves it on the big ring all the time. In the garage. It never actually gets ridden so any benefits are moot.

Modern road bikes, I’ve got two 2×10, just because that was current when I got them.

Retro bikes, I’ve got 3×8, 3×7 and 3×6. I really ought to get properly retro with a 3×5 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

Me, no other way of doing 25+ mph without going mental.

My bikes get used both on and off road, sometimes pulling a trailer or carrying bags of shopping, sometimes not. I have no intention of throwing a load of cash on a drive train which will give little or no benefit over what I have now, spinning at 120rpm in order to make decent headway on downhill road sections isn’t a good look either imo.

Think of it as a 3x 1x.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

3×9 on my xc race bike – for me theres no other way to get the ratios I need..

souldrummer
    Free Member

I still have a triple on my Soul. Don’t see any need to change it as it still functions perfectly. I have a double and bash on my Alpine, primarily as I tend to use it in rockier situations; otherwise it would still be triple as well.

dirtydog
    Free Member

overlaps that aren’t really overlaps unless you are clumsy enough to change a front ring and then crank the chain back 5-6 sprockets.

+1 its a poor argument used to justify the latest 1X.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Interesting to read the posts about catching and bending/breaking the big ring on rocks and logs. Never, in over 25 years of riding, have I ever once damaged a chainring in this way.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

not for a long time.

nickc

Never, in over 25 years of riding, have I ever once damaged a chainring in this way.

but surely it’s not beyond your imagination to think that this might be an issue for other folk, though.

Personally As soon as I learned that I was carrying more gears than I could use, your carrying 27 on a 3×9 and 30 on the 3×10!! But only something like 14 are unique, and gears that I couldn’t actually use on a traditional 3 ring chainring set up (at the extremes), I got rid of it as soon as I could!

6079smithw
    Free Member

#TRIPLE4LYF
    Get to keep up in the slipstream of cars on roads downhill in 44-11 #winning

adsh
    Free Member

3×10 – Race in the winter on the 32, use the big ring on tarmac and climb long Chilterns climbs in the mud after 50miles in the granny. Weighs a bit more, clatters a bit more but gives me versatility.

One thing people rarely mention is the negative effect of large cadence changes on steep climbs when you’re tired. Using the granny and not being right at the top of the cassette allows you to spin and change without leg sapping drops in cadence.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

2×11. Highly unfashionable, almost frowned on, but it is so much more versatile for heavily mixed terrain. I enjoy riding/slogging up horrendous stuff and pedalling back down. 1×11 just leaves it a bit short of the desired range for me. I don’t get confused by all the levers and wouldn’t exactly say the bars are cluttered thanks to ispec etc. Ride what suits you, and ignore the fashion police.

DezB
    Free Member

3×9. Why would I replace a load of perfectly functioning kit just to be on trend?

matt_outandabout

Yep I still have 3×9 (all XT) on my 29er hardtail, for the simple reason that I’ve not run out of spares for it yet.

This. On all five of our family bikes – Deore, SLX and XT 3×9 is cheap, and I have a couple more mechs and one more cassette to go…

eulach

Neanderthals, all of you ^. Opposable left thumb is for the dropper.

chestrockwell

This is a great thread and a real tonic to the endless narrow minded ‘1x is the answer to everything, anything else is rubbish and used by stupid heads’ threads that pop up daily.

My current bikes are three 3×7, one 3×9 (Wife’s) and one 3×10. My main bike is 3x because it came that way.

I rarely use the big ring but have and will again. I have some vouchers hanging about so I might replace the big ring with a bash but this will be because I can get one in Hope blue that will match my other blue Hope bits. Saying that, I’ve been threatening to do it for a year or so and just have not been bothered.

andytherocketeer

Neanderthals can only use Opposable left thumb for the dropper.

ftfy
    the rest of us have multitasking capabilities 😉

tenfoot

3 x 10 on my 26’er MTB

So 2011…..

Sanny
    Free Member

3 x 10 on my Fargo works btilliantly. I moved to 2x on my mountain bikes as I had a tendency to catch my big ring on rocks somewhat regularly. I was never a big user of the big ring so haven’t really missed it. 😀

Each to their own though. My Fargo wouldn’t be as good if it was a 2 x se up.

kayak23

chestrockwell – Member
    This is a great thread and a real tonic to the endless narrow minded ‘1x is the answer to everything, anything else is rubbish and used by stupid heads’ threads that pop up daily.

Pop up daily in your mind, that would be…
    😀

A lot of riders use different setups on their bicycles.I must have missed these threads where anyone can be bothered to scrape the bottom of the annoyance barrel and summon up enough passion about a bicycle drivetrain to actively insult those who don’t share their setup. Except maybe a few on this one… 😉

matt_outandabout

I forgot another good reason not to leave 3×9.

Rapid Rise is the win. 8)

robdob
    Free Member

“As i said before, a 32/11 gives you 20mph at 70-80 rpm. So 23-24 mph is perfectly pedallable. So why the need for 3x?”

I like to be still cranking at 35mph hoping to go faster! Still trying to beat my personal record of 50mph off road.

On my Spesh Pitch I have a double with 38t large ring, but 38/11 isn’t high enough, i have considered going back to a triple to get higher gears but not gone for it yet as I haven’t ridden much recently due to injury.

mattbee

Ah. It wouldn’t be STW if, rather than just saying “Yeah, that’s how I have my bike set up” people didn’t defend their choices by mocking others.
    I don’t run more than 1 front ring on my mtb. I don’t find I miss the others on the South Downs. I run my dropper where the front shifter used to be as it makes sense.
    I do have 2 rings on my road/fire track/whatever drop bar bike as it gives me the gears I need.
    I don’t give 2 figs what anyone else does, moreover I don’t feel the need to belittle them for making their choices or think that their circumstances may be the same as mine.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve got 3×10 on the Solaris and 3×9 on the 26er Soul.

The Soul trans is shagged and needs replacing. I very, very rarely use the big ring (only if I find myself on tarmac) so wouldn’t miss it. My mate just got a Soul275 with 1×11 (on Cy’s recommendation mainly) and I’m keen to see how that goes. It’s certainly easier to clean! Bearing in mind that I have a boxed XT groupset (bought in a fit ‘forward thinking/planning’ when Merlin started doing them sub £300 a couple years ago) I suspect that’ll go on it next. But then again the 6-7 yo stans 355 hope wheels have also seen better days so it’s getting to the stage of working out whether to throw the towel in on it and go 27.5. Which then beggars the question of two hardtails why not a full sus and, oo, that Giant Trance is around the same price as a new Soul….

Sorry, what was the question again?

:mrgreen:

nickc

Ah. It wouldn’t be STW if, rather than just saying “Yeah, that’s how I have my bike set up” people didn’t defend their choices by mocking others.

well quite, as some one* said once on here: “Pick a side and be a dick about it”

*can’t remember who

robdob
    Free Member

“I don’t give 2 figs what anyone else does, moreover I don’t feel the need to belittle them for making their choices or think that their circumstances may be the same as mine.”

WOW U R AMAZIN.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Went from 3×9, to 3×10 for the clutch mech. Sram X9.

Works beautifully, there’s many hills which are just too steep around here and go on for too long, cat 3+4’s. Its nice to spin up them with a good cadence and keep the legs fresh for the rest of the ride.

Any road work linking the trails up, the big ring gets used every ride.

Although I can see why people run 2×10, 1×11 etc, some ride trail centres, less elevation, don’t ride road, like the simplicity on the bar, less weight etc etc

jools182
    Free Member

I like this thread

Nice to see that we are not all sheep

peepingtom
    Free Member

Boardman pro ht 2010 with a triple , have to admit that a 1×10 looks real tidy but id be lost without a 42t .
    As for weight saving ‘what a load of bull’ .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice to see that we are not all sheep

I know feels good to break the mold and try something different, though some will still cling to what was on their first bike like it could never be bettered.

eulach

Chaps, there’s no need to get so upset about your bicycle parts. It was just a light-hearted tease.

Rich_s

3×9 or 3×10 here…

I might have missed something here, was 1x or 2x the brainchild of sram & co? Reason being Shimano were still getting front mechs specced on bikes as their’s are betterer?

chestrockwell

Pop up daily in your mind, that would be…

A lot of riders use different setups on their bicycles.I must have missed these threads where anyone can be bothered to scrape the bottom of the annoyance barrel and summon up enough passion about a bicycle drivetrain to actively insult those who don’t share their setup. Except maybe a few on this one…

Really? I guarantee MikeS is literally dying to post up his interesting chart about gear range for the 350th time this week. 😉

Also interesting to see people who want to defend 1x seeking out a thread about people who still run 3x so they can get upset that people are being mean to them. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol its a good chart 🙂 it actually tells you what the numbers are as most people seem to think it’s all a bit magic…

ratadog

1×10 with a range extender on the 29+, 2×10 on the Scandal I use for MTBO – because the 3×9 wore out and I decided to try something different, 3×9 on everything else until it wears out.

kayak23

Also interesting to see people who want to defend 1x seeking out a thread about people who still run 3x so they can get upset that people are being mean to them.

I wasn’t seeking a thread out, or looking to defend anyone, merely doing a bit of light reading about bikes. Just find it interesting that folks quite often belittle others on their choices… 😉

chestrockwell

It wasn’t necessarily directed at you mate. 😉 😉 😮

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Who still runs a triple up front?’ is closed to new replies.