• This topic has 55 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Who still buys Full Cream Milk?
  • JulianA
    Free Member

Cravendale blue top all the way…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Drac – Member
    Yeah we do for the kids. For young kids your supposed to for calcium count or something that and it's nicer. I'll use semi-skimmed though skimmed is utterly pointless it has no taste may as well use water.

Also to do with the fat soluble vitamins available in full fat milk, don't think calcium changes much between full fat & skimmed/semi skimmed.

hh45
    Free Member

Good thread. According to my bottle of blue top 'whole milk' it is 3.6% fat that is basically sod all. More than fruit and veg but way, way less than cheese (15-30%), crisps (20-30% plus), red meat and fish (20% plus), cake (15-30%). Brown, wholemeal bread and pasta are marginally lower at 1.5-3.0%) but that is splitting hairs I think. I'm a skinny b@stard to say the least and at my last medical I was 12% body fat so drinking milk @ 3.6% (bearing in mind it has all the extra nutrients) is no big deal surely. I get through 3-5 pints a week.

At my last medical this June my colesterol was so low / good it was almost off the scale and the doc was obviously well impressed. That said I eat very little cheese, no biscuits, not much cake, no gravy, no butter or margarine and try to keep booze under 25 units a week.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Me. I hate the vile tasting low fat stuff. When I was a child they used to sell the skimmed stuff cheap to pig farmers as 'waste product' to feed to the pigs as it was considered not viable to sell for humans to eat.

I did used to 'grow my own' milk at one time, when I used to farm goats. Not skimmed milk either 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

At my last medical this June my colesterol was so low / good it was almost off the scale and the doc was obviously well impressed.

Almost off the scale and your doctor was "well impressed" ? ……..change your doctor then.

Abnormally low levels of cholesterol is associated with high levels of suicides and strokes.

http://www.ctds.info/low_cholesterol.html

convert

I've been a skimmed milk drinker for about 15yrs and I have to say I've got to the stage where it tastes perfectly normal to drink. I'm naturally heavier than I'd like to be for bike racing and used to obsess a bit about keeping my weight as tight as possible (used to race at about 7% body fat), so skimmed seemed to make sense.

However, a friend who has just been revisiting his sports nutrition training is trying to persuade me to go back to full fat. Am yet to read anything myself but in a hearsay kind of way it sort of makes sense to consume smaller quantities of less modified foods. I've already switched back to butter.

hh45 – back of fag packet maths – 5pints of whole milk a week = 100grams of fat. Common nutritional advice is 30-33% of energy consumption through fats which for most people on a maintenance diet = 50-60gms a day of fat in your diet. Your milk consumption a week equals the best part of 2 days worth of your recommended total fat intake a week. I guess if you are very active (which your might well be seeing where I'm typing this), you might need more calories than this. What I'm trying to illustrate is that even though something might only have 3.5% fat, if you have enough of it (and you have nearly 3kg of milk) it all adds up. 5 pints of whole milk has the same fat content as nearly 300gms of full fat cheddar cheese, which is quite a lump!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(Sits contentedly eating a whole packet of butter)

br
    Free Member

So:

3.5% Whole milk or full fat milk
    1.5 – 1.8% Semi-skimmed
    Less than 0.3% Skimmed

Looks bugger all in it to me, we only have blue-top at home.

Drac

Also to do with the fat soluble vitamins available in full fat milk, don't think calcium changes much between full fat & skimmed/semi skimmed.

Aye that was it, sorry a bit tired and my brain just couldn't think.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We have it for our almost two year old. Nice on cereal!

cinnamon_girl

Been drinking skimmed milk for the last 25 years. It's fine for porridge and my proper coffee. 🙂

Royston
    Free Member

I used to buy full fat milk and butter not margarine however a recent medical showed high cholesterol so I was advised by my GP to change so I have.

large418
    Free Member

We all drink full fat milk. None of the family (2 adults, 21,19,17 yr olds) is overweight. Judging by some of the overweight tubs of lard picking up cartons of green top in the supermarket, I think it is probably true to say that: full fat milk makes you slim; and skimmed or semi skimmed makes you fat. And semi skimmed tastes horrible.

Royston
    Free Member

Incidently, Kids actually only really need full fat milk up to two years of age, beyond that apparently it's not really necessary.

konabunny
    Free Member

UHT full fat only.

Drac

Incidently, Kids actually only really need full fat milk up to two years of age, beyond that apparently it's not really necessary.

Shh the wife will here you and I'll we'll have to have semi skimmed all the time.

3.5% Whole milk or full fat milk
    1.5 – 1.8% Semi-skimmed
    Less than 0.3% Skimmed

Looks bugger all in it to me, we only have blue-top at home.

Blimey nearly twice as much fat, didn't realise the difference was so much. 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Who still buys Full Cream Milk?’ is closed to new replies.