Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Who is still commuting by bike?
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

My 15yr old son. He cycles to school and back pretty much everyday 3 miles there 3 back. I worry about him on the road of course. Think hes only got another couple of weeks before its too dark.

Mister-P
    Free Member

a young guy in a Toyota

I live in a village with only one exit route out and don’t really want to bump into this individual again.
    The irony is he was wearing a halfords work uniform.

A fairly easy individual to find I would have thought. I hope nothing happens to him.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Still riding to work, only 10 minutes for me though so I can’t get too wet or cold before I arrrive 😀

gummikuh

And all that does is escalate. Trust me I couldn’t sleep very well on Thursday night, and the thoughts raged through my head. But by doing anything you have reduced yourself to his level. The police were called and have recorded common assault against him and he has admitted to doing it, what his reason was, is he had overtaken me a few minutes before and felt I was riding dangerously by overtaking a static line of cars, so had to stop me!
    You can’t reason with this madness.
    I have contacted Halfords and informed them and they were going to start a disciplinary against him, who knows, he may lose his job and have to give the keys back of his 17 plate car.

highlandman
    Free Member

Fasthaggis- From near Glamis, up Denoon Glen and over the top to Auchterhouse, then back roads to Templeton woods, Camperdown and into the town. Return route is very similar with slight alterations to get better singletrack in places. There’s a decent amount of fun trail along the way, including sections of the Glamis circuit in the likes of the Murley woods. If you’ve been on the fat bike day in Angus, you’ll have ridden some of that.

benp1

Thanks all. I previously had the impression that everyone was going 30 mile roud trips like heroes every day, and then smashing the weekends up in the mountains

Mine is 10 miles each way, more if I want to extend. Fairly flat though, only a few hundred feet of climbing in that. Done 4 days a week (1 day a week at home), with the odd day by tube if I have a meeting offsite or something else, usually take the Brompton in for that and cycle part or all the way home

Now makes my commute feel more impressive! It’s usually a steady pootle, rarely trying to set any records

soobalias
    Free Member

ive been listening to the rain hammer down for the last couple of hours and slightly regret not picking the correct clothes on the way out this morning

LMT
    Free Member

My commute is only 3.5m so no worry, got soaked on way home today but Home!

I commute everyday to work, nothing has stopped me yet!

snaps
    Free Member

Yep, yesterday had to dig out the winter gloves & merino base layer as it was only 4 degrees, I had to take fresh clothes & fill the fridge today so drove in but will ride tomorrow & Thursday, day off Friday walking on Exmoor then riding Quantocks Saturday.
    Comute is 12 miles 35% offroad but the roads I use have grass growing up the middle & I see more tractors than cars 😆
    Took these last few days.

P20

I’m still commuting, but it’s only 1.8miles!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Been bike commuting regularly since Feb, hoping to continue through Xmas bar exceptional bad weather days this year, for the first time since my bike RTA on 23/12/2013.

The bus is only £6 for a weekly Bluestar 18 ticket, but I want to save the money towards bike kit and keep this year’s discovered fitness ticking over.

snipsnap
    Free Member

Currently on a bit of a commuting break due to a combination of overdoing it, a change of role at work, and a general cant be arsed-vibe (triggered by overdoing it!)

Used to do it everyday apart from snow/ice/hurricane 😉
    24 miles e/w to Salford.

Not possible any more due to simply not having the time but it was a great way to keep fit – I simply couldn’t gain weight!

I do still occasionally do it, when work/family commitments permit but it’s a rubbish route and always into a headwind on the way out. Not being as fit as I was, in any way shape or form makes the route out demoralising each time.

Great work for all those doing it and enjoying it every day. Keep it up as the rewards are significant. I do envy a lot of you!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

That was nowhere near as unpleasant as expected and tomorrow morning’s forecast is looking much more favourable. Thanks for the motivation STW.

DezB
    Free Member

Wow, can’t imagine the act of any driver stopping me from riding to work. For one thing, I’m on such shit money I couldn’t pay the mortgage if I had to fill my car with diesel more often and for another my sanity wouldn’t take it.
    Shocking, the things that happen, but you cant let em win.

sirromj

Daily commuting here. Only 4 miles each way but frequently extend. Weather down South in the towns on the East Kent coast is rarely any challenge beyond windy. Hardly saw any proper frosts unless heading further inland. Commute starts in town and heads out along quieter lanes and/or off road depending on mood/energy. First child this year so finding I need to take it easier a lot more. Rarely any real problems with drivers. But there’s no real trails without the car.

Bregante

5 miles each way here, although if I get away early enough and it’s still light (usually a 6 am start), I extend the return journey to 10 or 15 miles – most of which is then off road. I rarely get the opportunity to do a full week but these were both taken in the past seven days.

spooky211
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

I must admit I have the fear cycling down Union St in Glasgow at 5pm in the dark

mmm union street is a bit mental, I used to ride it daily about 25 years ago, wouldn’t do it now. Surely Buchanan street would be a better option?

I get what you mean about the fear though, on the first dark commute home last Monday I hated going through shawlands, you soon get used to it again though.

Aye Buchanan St would be safer, was actaully contemplating the Squinty Bridge – Paisley Rd west – Shields rd then onto Kilmarnock rd from there. I feel relieved when i get to Shawlands after dealing with the city centre!

schmiken

45km round trip, now trying to make sure I ride in Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays so I’m getting good quality training sessions done. Lack of evenings due to 2 kids and a wife starting a new business as well as being a teacher means very little free time.

thorpie
    Free Member

Yep, every shift, day or night for years.

olddonald

Me too. 18 miles roundtrip across Leeds – he only way to travel through Leeds – traffic is pants.

breadcrumb

I’m still on the bike when I’m not on daddy duties. Usually 3 days per week.

My commute can be as short as 4 miles. If little miss breadcrumb lets me get a decent night’s sleep I’ll take the ten mile route in.

tjagain

Every day for the last 20 years. Rain or snow.

A few years ago when we had major snowfall I was one of the few who could get to work on time. Studded tyres meant my commute took no longer than usual. I have no option. Its bike or taxi to work. Only once did I revert to a taxi – I got halfway up the hill to work with sleet in my eyes on a 30 mph wind. I saw a taxi, flagged it down and put my bike in for the rest of the journey

Trekster

Me. On my 38th year 😀
    Started when MrsT became pregnant with Tjnr, she learned to drive and bought me a bike!!!!
    Worked shifts for 30 odd years so only bike on day shifts and the occasional night shift in the summer months. It’s only an 8ml round trip commute. However Mabie is a nearby attraction so a trip after work and then home is a 20-25ml after work option 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve done it for the last 15years but always had the bail out option of a car/2nd vehicle for the grotty days. The last year we’ve gone down to 1 vehicle and it’s surprising how much money you save not being a 2 car household.

stennah
    Free Member

Mine is a 40 minute ride mainly off road which I’ve been doing on my Corsair Konig but I have to pass a pikey camp and I’ve seen a few looking at the bike so I’m leaving it until they move on might build a winter hack if they stay any longer

garage-dweller

Commuting by bike is one of the things I wish I could do/ could bring myself to do.

16 miles of hilly and heavily trafficked suburbia, endless traffic lights, crap cycle and road infrastructure topped with southern Muppet/psycho drivers and shit air quality. The longer countryside routes have less psychos per mile but narrower and/or faster roads. Neither is worth the risk imo so I split it train and car.

Twenty years ago I commuted 4 miles each way in the same town on the same roads in all weathers. I don’t even think I’d do that direct route regularly now it’s too narrow for safe passing and traffic volume is a lot higher.

SaxonRider

Jeez some of you have some long commutes! I have 4 miles each way, and when the sky is ugly, I just remind myself that my bike is my vehicle.

lunge

Lush ride in today. Air was lovely and cold, not too many idiots on the roads and my legs felt pretty good as well which meant under 45 mins for a hilly 12 miler. I’ve also finally got my Paddy Wagon fully winterised, fixed wheel, full length mudguards, reflectors everywhere, good lights, it’s now the perfect winter commuter bike.

Now sat in the office buzzing.

BruceWee

Since I got my waterproofs sorted out I’m actually quite happy riding in the rain. I arrive, strip off the waterproofs and that’s it. I’m also quite happy riding in the dry.

What I hate is that ‘Is it raining?’ weather where if you put on the waterproofs there isn’t enough water to keep you cool and if you don’t then you get wet. Either way you end up sitting at work damp.

prawny

It was super icy by me this morning and it normally gets worse further down the hill. After my 25mph dive off on black ice earlier this year I thought better of it.

Will be back on the bike tomorrow though. Not looking forward to the train home.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Cold this morning!

Came along the canal, so no probs with slippery roads. Face hurt though.

kcr
    Free Member

About 24 years commuting by bike in different cities and work locations. I dread the thought of ending up on a job where I have to drive to work. The last 5 years has been very local, so it’s an easy 20 minutes each way in my office clothes. Not so good for keeping fit, but very convenient. Driving or public transport would take longer and be more difficult because of timing and parking.

benp1

No rain last night so didn’t get to test the reproofing of my waterproof, nevermind

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks all. I previously had the impression that everyone was going 30 mile roud trips like heroes every day, and then smashing the weekends up in the mountains

20 miles each way for me pretty much every day 🙂

Very icy this morning which was horrible. Bit of ice on the car but the pavement was fine so set off, got on the moor and every puddle was iced up. Wouldn’t have ridden if I’d known.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I am!

If it wasn’t for commuting I’d be super unfit.
    I have barely any other time to ride with a little baby and lots of DIY to do.

Also, I find commuting by car utterly depressing, and the train is completely unreliable and expensive, especially if you cycle a few days a week and can’t take advantage of season tickets.

If it’s raining I give it a miss these days and take the car, though i still cycle the last 2 miles.

Superficial
    Free Member

I bought a few items of clothing in the summer to make winter commuting more tolerable so in fact I’ve been looking forward to using them. Bought a Gabba LS jersey (called Perfetto now) which seems perfect for cold / frosty days. I might start using the winter boots soon.

I have no plans to stop although like others I’m a bit more selective. When I know I’m going to be on call until 10pm I’ll drive. I’m on nights this weekend so will probably drive for that as well. I feel a bit soft but I’d rather enjoy it (which I do most days) than see it as a chore.

The thing that’s doing my head in at the moment though is that it’s taking longer. I don’t quite know why, perhaps it’s traffic or extra weight or not wanting to crash on icy (ish) roads but I definitely go a fair bit slower in winter.

woody2000

Came on the MTB today, found another piece of my “how much of my commute can I do off road” puzzle, reckon I’m up to about 80% now and can’t really do any more I don’t think. Lovely day for it 🙂

simondbarnes

Rude not to commute when the weather is like this…

40km in on the mtb

grenosteve
    Free Member

I got a lift home last night – it was pissing it down, and I’ve had a niggling lower back ache ever since I bought the trials bike (big surprise there!). Basically couldn’t be arsed dealing with either last night!

Did some stretches at home last night and something let go, getting some very painful spasms now. 🙁 Still got a lift back into work this morning and intend to ride home tonight, hopefully a steady spin will help the back ease off…

flyingmonkeycorps

Don’t really have much choice, but it’s only 6 miles each way and like others have said once you’re out the door it’s rarely as bad as you think it might be.

Chilly face and fingers this morning though!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Who is still commuting by bike?’ is closed to new replies.