• This topic has 98 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Who are the innovative UK bike/part manufacturers? No handbuilt road frames!
  • Daffy

But not innovative. Early Rider is a better shout.

P-Jay
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    I’m not sure where its made but Steve Peat now does sealant.

I thiny Peaty’s involvement is limited to brand engineering.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t get the love for superstar, they are a good manufacturing story in terms of “uk plc” but nothing innovative.

For me, it’s the business model that’s innovative.

In almost every other manufacturer in the UK they might start here, but soon enough they’re either importing parts from abroad or quietly outsourcing some of their production to the point when it’s pretty much made in China / Taiwan or the like and shipped here in kit for form final assembly.

Even Orange make, or made some of their HT frames abroad.

They’re going the other way, they started with by taking a large margin item, copied it and produced their own via out sourced manufacturing, but have slowly started to shift production here, modified some generic stuff and is now designing and making stuff here whilst still undercutting their competition.

I’m not sure how they are for pay levels and staff relations, but I suspect it’s an awful lot better than your average worker drone in China.

If only they didn’t use such gash anodising colours they’d be a bigger threat to Hope 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

thepodge – Member
    I’m not sure where its made but Steve Peat now does sealant.

I thiny Peaty’s involvement is limited to brand engineering.[/quote] Yes, very much so

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought, from their about page they designed the frames themselves:

True, but then it’s still not novel/innovative.

If you look back through P-X’s back catalogue you get bikes like the 456 which really were different, not just cheaper versions of what Specialized/Trek make. Then they made the C435 which really was a novel idea.

They’ve gone off the boil in recent years with a lot of open mould road bikes and their MTB line-up got left behind by geometry changes. But you can’t deny they had a huge impact on UK MTB’ing, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who’s been MTB’ing over 15 years that hasn’t owned an inbred or 456 at some point!

TiRed

ICE trikes have led the way for development and improvement of recumbent trikes. Followed on from Mike Boroughs who is an innovation institution of course.

daern
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Islabikes? Brilliant design for kids to learn/progress. Designed here, manufactured Taiwan, built here.

Yes, indeed. Not technically UK made (I don’t think they even build them here – they just fettle them before shipping) but you can’t doubt that Isla Rowntree has had more impact on kids’ cycling than anyone else in recent years and she has created a micro-industry in decent quality kids’ bikes that is absolutely thriving. Great support too 🙂

faustus

If you want shifting compatibility then Jtek engineering are UK based and made. Fairly niche products but seem good, and just about to order one myself! Also, bike part related: Muc off started life as X-lite in Poole, making some lovely components then branching out into cleaning and lube products.

On epicyclo’s metal question, plenty of steel is still produced in the UK, millions of tonnes of it. Doubt if any ore comes from the UK though. Google says there is only 1 small Aluminium smelter in the UK in Lochaber, and don’t think there’s any UK bauxite. From what little I read the smelter was to be used for car parts so for alu bike parts made in the UK, most must use imported billets?

daern
    Free Member

Oh, shout-out to Braeview Engineering who make a quite excellent bearing extraction tool which is a great addition to the toolbox of anyone who services their own frame bearings.

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

Paton-bot strikes again

warpcow
    Free Member

Aren’t there a couple of British guys getting ready to release an oleo strut damper? I forget the name, but remember having seen it on PB a couple of times.

paton
    Free Member

http://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCi0S9HW1iE[/video]

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YamiV2DR_r8[/video]

paton
    Free Member
Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Who are the innovative UK bike/part manufacturers? No handbuilt road frames!’ is closed to new replies.