Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whiskytrackworld
  • Spud

Mrs Spud likes a good Islay malt and it’s her birthday in a week. So, having had and liked Laphroig, Bruichladdich, Lagavulin, what would the collective recommend from Ardbeg and Caol Ila. I’m not an Islay malt fan so wouldn’t know where to start.

ski
    Free Member

My Wife bought me a bottle of Ardbeg Renaissance, made me a very happy bunny, must be love as it costs her over £100 for the bottle 😉

bigG
    Free Member

Caol Ila everytime. There was a cracking deal on it in Heathrow terminal 5 duty free the other day. My handbaggage was clinking on the flight home!!

Spud

Be nice to try something a bit different. At the rate bottles go down here I’d probably not go for £100 bottles as lovely as I’m sure it is.

ski
    Free Member
    Inbred456
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with a bottle of Glenmorangie for the ladies. Smooth with vanillery notes. Mrs Inbred likes a tipple of this but wouldn’t touch any of the so called classic malts.

kcal

Used to go for the knockout blow of Ardbeg, but Caol Ila is slowly winning me over – always liked it, now I might indeed prefer it to Ardbeg.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Islay Elements, not found in supermarkets though

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Spud have a look at Scapa from Orkney. Not that common and like a mild Islay IMO. My favourite drop.

dannybgoode

Laphroig Triple Wood is about as good as it gets for £50 or less. Also for something different try a Compass Box – Spice Tree.

Had some at a whisky tasting and it was very very good.

Cheers

Danny B

joepose
    Free Member

Bunahabhain….. nuff said

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

and what was it,…Kilchoman i hope?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bunahabhain….. nuff said

Thats what I was gonna say. My fave Islay malt but Iv’e not tried Kilchoman yet.
    However I’ll be on Islay in 6 weeks time so I’ll be giving it, & a few others a bash!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Passing the Fettercairn distillery the other day, I popped in and picked up a bottle of Fior

Peaty, sherry casked, lovely colour, shapely bottle, staggeringly good drink. Not Islay though
    EDIT .. and unusual, not something you’ll see in Tesco

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Bunahabhain is the least Islay like of all the islay’s, so she might have been unimpressed, maybe we will never know….

i’ve not tried Kilchoman either, but there is a bottle of their new sherry cask release staring at me…eeek

drinking cheapo ardmore, to keep me at bay

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

However I’ll be on Islay in 6 weeks time so I’ll be giving it, & a few others a bash!

wow nice, i really fancy taking the bike over and pootling about distillery to distillery then falling off…

Bowmore have actual accomodation on site how awesome is that, brings a whole new meaning to the term midnight snacking 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Last time I went to Islay I brought a mate a miniature Bunnahabhain, which he’d never tried before, & believe me, he’s tried some!
    When he tasted it he said, ‘now that’s what whisky should taste like’.
    I’m rubbish cos I just love them all!!

Edit, my son got me a bottle of BHB for Xmas & it didn’t see New Year. 🙄

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i only by Whisky’s i can pronounce,……..and are on offer at Asda 😀

EDIT: My first rule is never have a good bottle of whisky hanging around when your friend from Northern Ireland is over for a visit,..jeeez those measures would have killed a small horse!!

grum
    Free Member

Ardbeg Uigeadail is bloody lovely.

http://www.ardbeg.com/shop/ardbeg-uigeadail.html

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bunnahabhain
    Boonahavven.

Caol Isla, = Couleela.

Or so I’ve been told.

jakey6873
    Free Member

Kilchoman is still too young, favourite islay is a17 yo ardbeg but very hard to get now but should be some more in a few years! Caol Isla is nice but I always end up back at ardbeg, will be back over in islay in July,egg when you are over bruichladdich is always worth a visit as there is always something you can only get at the distillery and nowhere else.

longmover
    Free Member

I have a bottle of Ardbeg Alligator open at the moment, I have my eyes on a bottle of Corryvrecken at the moment. Also on the go at the moment is a bottle of Balvennie 17 peat cask which is bloody lovely.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whiskytrackworld’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM