• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bfw.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which winter tubeless tyres that stick to teflon coated roots?
  • bfw

Which winter tubeless tyres that stick to teflon coated roots? any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ferrit

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bontie Mud Xs are soft compound, so stick better to things than – say – Panaracer Trailrakers, which are harder.

But in reallife(TM) the person that creates anything that sticks to wet roots is going to become a MTB God in his/her lifetime.

chiefgrooveguru

As essentially nothing does, you’re better off looking for a tyre that doesn’t get knocked offline by them too easily, so something that you can run soft that doesn’t clog up too badly.

nixie

I’ve found recently that my Mud Xs don’t stick to roots at all. With the roots and mud mix around here I’ve been finding its better to have a tyre that handles the roots better and just deal with the lower traction on mud.

shortcut

I believe you are after the moon on a stick.

Look where you are going. Catch them at 90 degrees, look for alternate routes around, improve technique (unweight etc.).

bwaarp
    Free Member

2.35 High Rollers….if you can be bothered humping them around….they are massively better than the Mk2 Mountain King 2.2 black chillis that I had on my Mega when it comes to rooty terrain….

devs
    Free Member

2.35 swampthings work for me. Dunno why but they do.

Northwind

Conti Baron does a lot better than an XC-type mud tyre- stickier compound, bigger carcass. But nothing really sticks to wet roots.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mud X’s aren’t that great on roots.

Specialized Storms are better, but Specialized Purgatories are betterer

br
    Free Member

Minion DHF worked fine yesterday in the slury, Ardent on the rear just followed-ish…

smiff
    Free Member

yeah for roots you want more rubber (so 42a minion is good) but this is opposite of mud traction. i agree i’d go for more rubber esp. on front, put a mud tyre on back. mud-x is pretty good all round despite the name, bit narrow for roots though.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Agree with what others have said about Swampthings. I use 2.35s super tacky on the front ‘normal’ at the back. They may be a pita to get on and off but the are great winter/mud tyres.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Bigger, softer tyres run sub 20psi work best on wet roots. Nothing beats a bit of speed and some bravery though.

scaredypants

it’s all a compromise

gripwise on roots it goes: trailrakers lethal; mud-x not great; ST swampthings splendid

traction in mudwise it goes: trailrakers > (swampthings / mud-x)

for making you cry when riding on hard ground or tarmac: swampthings >>> trailrakers > mud-x > any non-winter tyre

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

gripwise on roots… …ST swampthings splendid

Is it true? A tyre that grips wet roots? There is a God!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Talent 🙂

scaredypants

Is it true? A tyre that grips wet roots? There is a God!

It’s all relative.
    Except God – God’s absolute.

bfw

thanks for all the advice

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which winter tubeless tyres that stick to teflon coated roots?’ is closed to new replies.