Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which waterproof socks ???
  • blastit
    Free Member

On the quest for dry feet was wondering which are good .
    I have some Shimano waterproof boots which are good for a few hours, so was thinking of some Sealskin or Goretex socks to help out.
    So which ones thick thin long short.
    Which ones do you use ??

scotroutes

Long is best – coz that way your tights will go over the top of them.

The Gore ones are fine as you can just wear whatever thickness of socks you need underneath.

Sealskinz are fine as you don’t need a liner sock.

Either way, your boots/shoes really need to be one size larger as you’ll otherwise restrict blood circulation and end up with cold feet.

Northwind

Long sealskinz for me, really excellent. Got a set of Gore ones too, they’re weirdly not foot shaped- might well work effectively but I’ve never even ridden in them, too unpleasant to wear.

Horrible socks for sale?

scotroutes

Size?

Northwind

They’re not marked but probably the 8-9s?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Whichever you get make sure you follow the washing instructions and don’t dry them on a radiator.

scotroutes

Same as mine then. A spare pair might come in handy right enough….

dantsw13

My wife tumble dried mine – they became baby socks!!

matther01
    Free Member

Army sealskinz for me. Long ones.

lee170
    Free Member

Seal skins for me to,
    Really good socks

nuke

Sealskins for me. I do always wear thin cycling socks underneath them and, if its really wet out, put livestong-style wristbands around the neck of the sock to improve the seal helping to prevent water running down my leg going into the sock.

blastit
    Free Member

Ok that’s great, Looks like the sealskinz are the ones to go for.
    Where is cheap at the moment anyone ??

Northwind

Thing with waterproof socks is, yep, sometimes you do get wet, and people spit the dummy without ever seeming to think what it’d have been like without them. The worst case scenario is your feet get wet but at least it’s the same water all the time so you stay warmer.

PS, if you’ve got a pair that have lost some but not all of their waterproofing, pop some decent sized holes in the bottom… Sounds daft but they still work better than no waterproof socks, and it stops them filling up.

CraigW
    Free Member

Anyone tried neoprene socks?

Del

gore, goretex socks rock. as above, you will still eventually get wet, but they do a pretty good job of letting water out too, so you’re never left with a bucket of water on your foot. i have some i’ve been running for a few years now. sealskinz only ever lasted me a year at most. gore sock have a good, snug cuff at the top which keeps the bulk of the water out. my 2p, ymmv, etc.

cakefacesmallblock

Not long in from a late afternoon spin round our very wet n muddy local patch.
    Been wearing my Christmas socks. Well ok, my first pair of Sealskins dry socks. Got to say I’m very pleased, I’m in no doubt that my feet would have been wet without them.

jonnyrockymountain

I have used sealskin and porelli, and I preferred porelli saying that I just use Shimano goretex boot with normal riding socks ie de feet woolie boolie

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which waterproof socks ???’ is closed to new replies.