Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which tyres for Comrie Croft?
  • peabrain
    Free Member

The lad is doing a race there soon – last time it was on the blue trail.

The choice of tyres is

DMR moto digger x 2
    Racing Ralph x 2 (but one is a bit worn)
    Specialized Roller x 1

The moto diggers are on the bike at the moment and seeing as I can’t really be @rsed changing tyres what I’d really like everyone to say is the moto diggers will be fine and that I am overthinking it for a kids bike race!

Thanks 😀

jonathan
    Free Member

You’re over thinking it for a kids race….

..now my two are racing on grass tomorrow night. Big one will be on his cross bike, but the little one is on his 20″er – currently with a “semi-demi-fat” 2.1 small block 8 up front. Will that be OK pumped well up, or should I put the 1.8 Explorer back on?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Round ones. Black ones usually work well. Even better if they match the size of the rims.

poah
    Free Member

depends if it is wet or dry. wet good luck with the rocks with any tyre. blue trail if its the blue then the ralfs will be fine

matt_outandabout

See you next weekend – I have prime place as marshall trackside..

peabrain
    Free Member

Thanks, I am now convinced that the round black ones will do just fine….

Forecast is wet, very wet – I think I’ll keep the moto diggers on (any excuse..)

jonathan – you are handicapping your kid 😮 tyre choice is uber important in the under 6 category!

matt – see you there, are your kids racing too?

matt_outandabout

Yes, eldest_oab and the senior groups from Wallace Warriors have been up there for last four weeks practicing. I hunk they want a win. Look out for a wild riding style on a Claud Butler HT….

peabrain
    Free Member

Excellent 😀 So is the course the same as last year?

My son will either be rocking a retro Norco B-line or a Trek hardtail. I think the hardtail would be the best choice but he loves riding the Norco (if he can push it up the hill…)

peabrain
    Free Member

Just checked the forecast again and it has got even worse…

Greater than 95% chance of rain and bloody cold too…

hainman
    Free Member

Rode there in snow/slush before in Hans damf/Magic Mary combo and was fine.To many roots and rocks to go mud tyres

iainc

When is the race on ? I was thinking of heading up on Mon with the kids (8 and 12), forecast to be a good day..

matt_outandabout

The race is Sunday, all day by the time practice and runs are done.

iainc

Thanks for info. Horrid forecast 👿 , glad we’re going Monday !

Northwind

It’s really good, Comrie. So good tyres.

matt_outandabout

Wet screams! The weather did the wet. I did the screaming (sore throat here from encouraging all the riders here).

What appalling weather for a fab event. 84 riders, all had a fabby time and some really quick riders in there.

peabrain
    Free Member

So chuffed – my lad won the under 10 (he is only 8!) 🙂 🙂

Matt – by any chance were you the marshall after the boardwalk? There was certainly a lot of encouragement going on! If so I was the wet (and probably miserable) lady with the small boy in tow.

We had a great time despite the weather 😀 How did yours get on?

matt_outandabout

Good effort by your lad!

Yep, that was me on the sand pile with surroundedbyhills of this parish as well.

It was a miserably wet day. All the marshals commenting on email now about the kids having smiles and up for a ride though. Ace.

peabrain
    Free Member

I would have come and said Hi if I’d have known! I was trying to “shelter” under the trees… Didn’t make any difference 😀

The kids all did really well, stars the lot of them!

At some point today I need to go and remove the pile of wet stuff from the van – at least it is sunny today!

iainc

Heading up there at lunchtime with my kids, hope its dried out !

peabrain
    Free Member

Well I’m sure it can’t be any wetter 😉

Have fun!

peabrain
    Free Member

matt – please pass on my thanks to all the marshalls and organisers. I really appreciate the effort that goes into making these races happen. Especially on a day like yesterday…did I mention it rained a lot? 😉

iainc

Top fun day with the kids there today. 2 laps of the blue with a cafe stop in the middle. Warm and sunny and not busy on the trails, although busy at the cafe area, including a wedding party. Kids preferred it to GT 😀

Northwind

Just saw the pics on their facebook, kids are brilliant, I’d not have got out of the car in that weather! Full marks.

iainc

Looks grim ! What a difference a day makes – t-shirts today and proper warm on the climbs !

peabrain
    Free Member

Ha great photo! I have one wee issue with it though – he mentions older boys taking the top spots but my lad is only 8. Not that it really matters, honest! 😀

peabrain
    Free Member

Missed your post iainc. Sounds like a good day. We have never been there apart from the race days but definitely planning to go back – I think my little one would love the blue. Well the down bit of it anyway!

peabrain
    Free Member

And sorry to flood the thread, but does anyone know when/where there will be photos? Roots and rain?

iainc

We have never been there apart from the race days but definitely planning to go back – I think my little one would love the blue. Well the down bit of it anyway!

my 2 loved the blue, the eldest is a great climber and the younger a good descender, so we compromised 🙂 I did try and cajole them into going right up the hill and round the red, but it wasn’t to be !

peabrain
    Free Member

the eldest is a great climber and the younger a good descender

The problem I have is the older one is 8 and the younger is 4 – my husband doesn’t ride so trying to find a ride that suits both of them is really hard!

matt, thanks 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ha! just spotted this thread.

My two girls raced for the first time one got both a medal (3rd in U12)and good raft of bruises to add to the story.

@Peabrain were you in the blue shimano poncho sheltering in the trees, staying at a caravan nearby? If so I was the “other” marshall just after the boardwalk we had a bit of blether after practice!

peabrain
    Free Member

were you in the blue shimano poncho

Not me, I was wearing a yellowish jacket and had a small boy in blue with me.

Well done to your girls 🙂

Anyone doing the other rounds at Nevis Range or Aberfeldy?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@ Peabrain sorry but not in our schedule – I am on a coaching course same day the WC 🙁 spectacularly bad planning on my part, since she qualified for guest pass too.

Just read the race report that says my youngest “decided not to do another run” except she had a very “respectable crash”, hence the bruises and and incomplete 2nd run…

peabrain
    Free Member

not in our schedule

That is a shame. I think we will do Aberfeldy then the final.

Shame about the race report (and the crash!) The race report also says that the winning under 10 girls slowest time was faster than the winning under 10 boys time – not correct! I will admit her fastest time was 2 seconds faster than my son’s, but she is a Carrick-Anderson!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which tyres for Comrie Croft?’ is closed to new replies.