Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which tubeless 29er/CX tyre to use one a 26" flatbar frame?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OK, sounds wrong, but many years ago I did THIS & I now what to do the same with a frame that fits me better, basically a hybrid bike with better geometry (for me) & a bit more up to date, so the tyres need to be tubeless & very capable on road & pref only mildly scary on sensible off road, good puncture resistance & light.
    I was thinking of THESE, does anyone have a better suggestion?

Many thanks.

nedrapier

conti cx speeds? Not sure about tubelessnessity.

edit: neither’s this guy:

They look good, right?

They didn’t work. At first, we had gentle bubbling through the sidewalls, with Stans coming through. You’d hear a leak, and see a bubble start coming through. If you popped the bubble, the process would start over. It was not confidence inspiring.

There was also a minor problem with a tire exploding off of the rim. I think Chad will eventually recover his hearing.

Suffice it to say: Continental does not advertise the Cyclocross Speed as being tubeless compatible. It is not. They’re super light, but the casing does not hold air. Don’t get me wrong–for tubed applications, there’s no tire I’d rather run. They’re great. Light, durable, good traction for intended purposes. But they do not work tubeless. (I’ve read that elsewhere on the interwebz, too).

http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2012/11/11/stans-crest-wheels-bontrager-cx0-700x38c-team-issue-tires/

After some research and soul-searching, I decided to try Bontrager CX0 tires, in the team issue. But they come in 34 and 38c widths. Given my lightweight and predilection for skinny tires, that’s an easy question, right? Wrong. The CX0s are factory spec’d at 340 grams and 370 grams. So there’s only a 30 gram difference to go to the wider size. That’s pretty compelling. I ended up giving the 38s a shot–and they came in right at and right under the 370 gram weight.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

Wtb cross boss.
    Light and very tubeless orientated.
    Goes up a treat.

Had a potential problem with the front one in that it had a pin prick hole in sidewall but stans sealed it in an instant.

dobo
    Free Member

i know kenda small block 8 run tubeless and are reasonably fast rolling and grippy.
    Michelin mud 2 also work great tubeless and ok all rounder but wear fast on road.

I also like the look of them bonty cx0, cant justify more tyres at the moment.

non of the above have an ounce of puncture protection but are light.

The trigger pro have some protection but are heavier if i recall, i use landcruisers i need to not puncture, cheap heavy and reasonably fast rolling, not tried tubeless but not worth it on them.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks to all, I ordered the CX0 in the end, I’ll update if it wears as fast as the reviews claim.

Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which tubeless 29er/CX tyre to use one a 26" flatbar frame?’ is closed to new replies.