Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Which smart phone?
  • nicko74

With the prospect of leaving my job – and hence my work phone – behind, I realise that I need to start thinking about getting a new mobile. The current one's an HTC Tytn II (Windows Mobile, 3G, Wifi, GPS, SD card, all the bells and whistles), and I'm keen to get something similar, but it'd probably have to be cheapish or secondhand.

What's the current thinking on things like the HTC Hero, newer HTC handsets and suchlike? Or am I just better off getting a secondhand Tytn II from fleabay?

crikey
    Free Member

I've got an HTC hero and its brilliant.

footflaps

Android?

JoeBones
    Free Member

There is only one

iPhone

stuartm555
    Free Member

Hero is great … although the Nexus One looks better!

naokfreek
    Free Member

HTC HD2 if you can get one. Flat mate has one from his work and it's a very good piece of kit indeed.

ratadog

Using an HTC Hero android phone and very impressed so far.

Dibbs
    Free Member

HTC HD2, I just wish I could get one on Orange 😥

nickname
    Free Member

Using the hero here. It's my first smartphone and I do love it, but some bits do niggle me.

Camera has no flash

Dialler is a bit annoying as I keep accidently calling people

Sometimes lags, but generally not that bad

Android is being developed quite fast, but phone companies seem quite slow in getting the updates through to the users, if at all. I'm not really willing to root the phone just so I can get the latest version

Overall though its brilliant!

glenh
    Free Member

I've had windows mobile, android and iphone OS phones and I'd go with android every time.

My new nexus one is ace.

petestuart
    Free Member

Love my HTC hero – only really annoying thing about it is its reluctance to connect to wifi. Wont do it in my house, or round my parents. A known issue apparently with the handset and some routers…. quite common though. Doubly annoying that my friends G1 will connect to my wifi, as will another chums iphone… Grrrr.

Other than that its superb. Hopefully the next ROM update will fix wifi issues….

glenh
    Free Member

p.s. nickname re: updates, first nexus one update direct from google is out today – that's not slow!

Oh, and the nexus one has no lag issues (1GHz processor!), and wifi is better than on any of my previous phones (inc. G1 and iphone 3G).

crikey
    Free Member

Pete, try getting Wifinder app from the market…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

What networks is the nexus available on? Or is it sim free for now?

stuartm555
    Free Member

i think it's only available from google for now for about £300 … might be wrong though

Taff
    Free Member

Iphone, HD2 or Nexus 1 seem to be the best on the market with the iphone being the easiest to use

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah just found it on google. It's around £330, $529. Also says it'll be on vodafone in europe soon

petestuart
    Free Member

Tried wifinder, but thank you. It will find wireless networks fine. Just wont connect properly. I googled the problem and it seems there lots and lots of people with the same problem… would be intrigued to hear what stw-ers experience of the hero wifi are…

stuartm555
    Free Member

funkymonkey – Aye a colleague at work got one last week … only took a few days to arrive from America too. I actually prefer the looks of my Hero – but I prefer everything else about the Nexus!

petestuart – wifi works fine for me … although the HSDPA connection is so fast that i hardly ever use it!

kimbers

yep im waiting to see what vodafone offer for the nexus out this month allegedly

vrapan
    Free Member

Tried a Palm Pre and a Hero, sorry but not even close to the iPhone for things that matter. Though it is not as good for other things main of which is lack of multitasking.

AlasdairMc

I had a Tytn II and have moved over to an iPhone 3GS with no regrets. I miss Memory Map, but supposedly that's on its way soon so no big loss.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

can any of you with the htc hero tell me if you have tried using it with memory maps or any other OS map product? i already have many of the areas i ride in with memory map so would want to stick to that to prevent any further expense.

and has anyone used it as a sat nav? and which product do you use? it looks like a great phone for what i want, and i can get it for near £20 a month which is only a little more than what i am paying for an old phone now. as people have said above the new android releases are quicker, but then they will be more expensive and i will end up saying 'oh the next one is better, i will just wait for that one!'

nicko74

HD2 looks good, but is mahoooosive – you could have a picnic on it. Plus it ain't cheap.
    Android looks cheaper, with things like the HTC Hero, TMobile pulse and suchlike looking acceptable. It'd be a shift tho – I've got used to WM's quirks, notes, exchange syncing and so on.

My main issue is that Orange aren't going to give me much of a deal with my current talkplan (£10 a month for 200 minutes 500 texts), and if I leave the job I'm moving abroad, so wouldn't want to sign up to a more pricey contract. Soooo… HTC Hero or fleabay it may be, I reckon

sputnik
    Free Member

Sorry for crashing the HTC party here, BUT:
    The new Blackberry Bold 9700 is a serious bit of kit. Wifi, 3G , micro SD, built in GPS, lots of apps available, very fast and no lagging. Push email , good media player, flash, 3.2mp camera, good solid build and decent battery life. A very smart phone.

Jezwick
    Free Member

HTC HD2 if you can get one. Flat mate has one from his work and it's a very good piece of kit indeed.

+1 Loving mine at the moment, if you liked the TyTn your love this beast !!!

stuartm555
    Free Member

defaultslipper … there are OS map apps for android but they require a data connection so they're useless! i've kept my old Windows Mobile phone just for running MemoryMap on. as alasdair says above there is a rumour of MM for iPhone

for satnav i've got copilot on the hero and it works fine

FuzzyWuzzy

I've got an iPhone myself (and am very happy with it) but might be worth a read http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/smartphones/?p=126&tag=nl.e101

joemarshall
    Free Member

viewranger (OS maps application) are definitely building an android version that will work on HTC Hero.

It is very good, although you'd have to buy your maps again.

I don't know what the battery life is on Android with the GPS on – on the iPhone I understand it is pretty useless and you can't swap the battery meaning that iPhones are basically no use as a gps for any decent length of ride.

joe

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Sold my iphone 3gs last week and bought a sim free HTC Hero. Loving everything so far, so many excellent apps that are free and the customization is a lot better than the iphone.

Looking forward to when they release Android 2.1 for the Hero as it'll make this little smart phone even better.

Not saying it's an iphone beater just different.

Cammer
    Free Member

I'm currently beta testing ViewRanger on my HTC hero 🙂

Impressed with what they have created so far, still quite a few bugs and it's lacking in features, but it tracked my ride at the weekend perfectly. Can't seem to import gpx files yet but they are only upto version 0.1.6.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

another +1 for the HTC HD2, got mine yesterday. nice step forward from my old Touch Diamond.

tho if you dont want something as big as the HD2, then the Touch2 is a nice compact size like the Touch Diamond. (only thing the Touch2 seems to be missing, is the gsensor so it doesnt rotate pictures when you turn the phone on its side.)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Which smart phone?’ is closed to new replies.