Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Which musician, who was part of a great band, has produced the worst solo stuff?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Lou Reed? ? Huh? Are you mental?

That takes this forum to a new level of mental

Anyway, Nick Cave, nothing of note since The Birthday Party, apart from when Kylie has carried him. 😉

jekkyl

Syd Barrett

Octopus is a interesting listen though, if not for the mental chord changes then for the lyrics.. hey ho, huff the Talbot!

egb81
    Free Member

Johnny Marr has released some turgid AOR. Chris Cornell’s solo stuff was god awful.

Peter Gabriel wrote Sledgehammer and Shock the Monkey so he’s all good my book.

DezB
    Free Member

Nick Cave, nothing of note since The Birthday Party

You. Are clearly mental. 😆

muggomagic

Billy Corgan of the smashing pumpkins effort was horrendous as was Julian Casablanca from the strokes. Didn’t the Edge do a solo album too?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Nick Cave, nothing of note since The Birthday Party

Jesus man. You have no soul!

nickc

Billy Corgan of the smashing pumpkins

hmmmm, he pretty much was the Smashing Pumpkins though, so I don’t think that counts.

honourable mention has to go to Dave Grohl, aka “the nicest man in rock” lovely bloke I’m sure, but he has produced some pretty MOR turdigity*

* yep, totally made up.

ElVino

+1 for John Squire of the stone roses,

allan23
    Free Member

Anyway, Nick Cave, nothing of note since The Birthday Party, apart from when Kylie has carried him.

I’ve seen some barking mad things on the internet but that takes it, clearly you woke up with a bad case of insanity this morning 🙂

BoardinBob

Great guy but he churns out sonic magnolia with the exception of the first Foo’s album. Probot stuff was decent too though

BoardinBob

I’d single out Steve Howe’s solo stuff long before Wakeman’s. Saw Wakeman many times as a solo artist and he was always excellent.

cinnamon_girl

Saw Wakeman many times as a solo artist and he was always excellent.

I was in the audience at the Royal Festival Hall for the premiere of Journey to the Centre of the Earth, with David Hemmings narrating. Incredible!

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Captain Sensible

philtricklebank

Serj Tankian. System of a Down were sublime at times. I’ve tried to like his solo stuff, but really not taken with it. Whether he’s the worst, is entirely subjective.

muggomagic

Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance. Not that they were that great bar the odd ok song, but his solo album was awful.

Edric64
    Free Member

Dave Knopfler.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Anyway, Nick Cave, nothing of note since The Birthday Party, apart from when Kylie has carried him.

I thought The First Born Is Dead was an excellent album. Haven’t listened to much since though

metalheart
    Free Member

You’re obviously Davidtaylforths alternative login and I claim my £5

RustySpanner

Waxl.

And that Bob Dylan’s done nowt since he ditched The Band.

spud-face

Tom Morello as The Night Watchman.
    Saw him on jools rambling on about creeping up on someone with a baseball bat (something like that) “cause I’m the night watchman”
    Embarrassing.
    At least he was acoustic so no helicopter sounds for once.

CountZero

Peter Gabriel had moments of genius after leaving Genesis but also whole albums of utter tosh as well, I still like the fact he wasn’t afraid to experiment.

Which one might that be?
    Having, as I do, all the Genesis albums up to Wind And Wuthering, the last one with the inestimable Steve Hackett on, and Gabriel’s entire recorded back catalogue, I’m struggling to think of any really duff songs, let alone an entire album.
    Of all the Beatles, the only one to produce anything of any worth after leaving the band is Ringo; It Don’t Come Easy is as good a song as any of the others ever wrote.
    A band where the whole genuinely is greater than the sum of its parts.
    Re: Richard Ashcroft – load of turgid, whiney rubbish. The Verve weren’t much better, mind…

donks
    Free Member

Oh I wish the Perry Farrell vid had never been posted…. I mean yes nothing he’s done since ritual has been monumental but to be fair most has been reasonable…. But that shit… Wtaf was that. I might hunt him down now and demand an explanation 😯

I listened to Ashcroft on 6music today and wondered why radmac were giving him the time of day tbh.

I suppose most artists that go solo eventually make some shite because they have no one else to put their foot down. Neil Young put a song out last year I think that was so bad I almost wept…. Something about saving the planet etc etc

edhornby

Given that he was in two successful bands, then his first (eponymous) solo album was great, the artist who has slid the furthest is Paul Weller; anyone bought a recent album of his and not regretted it? I stopped after Stanley Rd.

edhornby

Suggs solo album, anyone? Thought not

eddie11
    Free Member

John squire again.

edhornby

That bassist from the Housemartin’s was a right flash in the pan as well.

Harry_the_Spider

Whatever crimes against music Andrew Ridgeley committed you cannot overlook that fact that:

a) He got rich
    b) He got out quick with his sanity
    c) He is married to 1/3 of Bananarama
    d) He lives by the sea, surfs and can drive a racing car

No matter how bad his solo stuff was he has won.

No wonder he looks so bloody pleased with himself.

Mr Ridgeley, I salute you.

lesgrandepotato

The answer is clearly John Squire. Time changes nothing it was a true stinker

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

anyone bought a recent album of his and not regretted it? I stopped after Stanley Rd.

Oh, snap.

Lots of souley, samey wallpaper, with a few really beautiful ballads.

I saw him live many years ago. You had to push through “Changingman” or whatever it was called and hope he’d play “That’s Entertainment” or “Down in the Tube Station at Midnight” before he went home.

jamj1974

John Squire – seriously has to be up there near the top.
    Richard Ashcroft – I’d agree with Binners except his second album has some good moments, On a Beach from his first album is good and the last Verve album was largely rubbish.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Morrissey’s getting a hard time on this thread! Bona Drag, Viva Hate and Your Arsenal are classic albums. National Front Disco, You’re the One for Me Fatty, Suedehead and Every Day is Like Sunday are brilliant songs.

All in my humble opinion, obvs.

Yeah – I know – I’m a fan, and Morrissey fans are notoriously loyal, yet I’ll admit he’s had some forgettable patches (Vauxhall and I!)but he’s established a musical legacy that will long outlive him. Because it’s good.

So there 😀

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Dave Gilmour.

“On an Island” is a nice song about going on holiday to Greece with his wife.

Not exactly “Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun” is it.

copa
    Free Member

Another vote for Weller.
    Peaked at around the age of 19 and everything post Jam has been dissappointing. Lost his accent and started to make dreary music.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

J. Lynn Johnston

Needs to reform Mad At Gravity!

senorj

I said Mr Ashcroft before I opened the thread !.Dezb’s comments v true.
    Loads already stated so I’m saying Fergal Sharkey.
    The Undertones were truly great ,”a good heart” ,close but no cigar. 🙂

leegee

Roger Waters,

joolsburger
    Free Member

I know this one! It’s Sting isn’t it.

BigJohn

No it’s And.

Out of Chas and Dave.

He was OK in McAlmont and Butler but he’s done nothing good since.

Caher

Well I think Paul Weller does give Sting a serious run for the money, both seemed to reinvented pompous rock.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, Weller’s a good one – especially as I read an interview with him where he actually said he was getting “experimental”! Yeah, copying the Small Faces is so original in the 2010s.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Which musician, who was part of a great band, has produced the worst solo stuff?’ is closed to new replies.