Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • which brakes for dh bike?
  • Toombsy
    Free Member

I have a new dh bike with avid elixir 7 brakes but fancy putting them on trail bike (cause I need new brakes on it). What brakes would you lot recommend for dh (i am thinking especially for the week in the alps)?

ruscle
    Free Member

Hope V2’s

dashed
    Free Member

Hope if you want to support British engineering.

Saint’s in you want to stop quickly.

Saint’s need setting up properly tho – need a syringe to basically pressurise the system slightly from the calliper end otherwise there is a hideous amount of lever travel.

skywalker
    Free Member

Not XT, they are shite, my brother has some and they have never worked properly for more than 10 minutes.

Hope would be my choice, best brakes I have ever used.

Toombsy
    Free Member

I have never used Hope – I love the Britishness and they look good but do they perform?

flyingmonkeycorps

Love my Formula The Ones.

roddi18
    Free Member

Avid codes. They aren’t light like the formula brakes but they actually work and are easy to bleed. I had a set of new formula the ones on my dh bike and they were dreadful so sold them and went back to avid. A couple of mates have saints and both agree that my new codes are a lot better. Saints/ shimano may be great at stopping you dead occasionally but they are so inconsistant with their power. I had a set of the new xt trail brakes on my trail bike and they were again really inconsistant so i have gone back to a set of elixir cr’s and can’t fault them

MRanger156
    Free Member

Saints if you have the cash.

lardman
    Free Member

Hope V2’s… they’ll stop ya.
    Mine (all three) have worked a treat with NO maintenance for 4 years.

Modulation, power, adjustability.

And, i’m not even a big hope fan either. They do work tho’.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Codes or Code R’s

ruscle
    Free Member

On a recent mtb magazine test the V2’s were in the top 3 for power. They have loads of power if you ever need it and if you want more power you can get the vented rotors.

coogan
    Free Member

Shimano SLX brakes are acearama. I’d go Shimano every time.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

SLX

LoCo
    Free Member

Have seen a few sets of Saint clipers with XTR levers which are supposed to be amazing, failing that XT or Saint setups or Hope kit.

clive
    Free Member

Shimano all the way, the rest of the them have no modulation at all

As for hope good for the 1st 2 rides then there a nightmare

Thats the reason the British dont make cars any more

Hope …………Austin Allegro 😀

votchy
    Free Member

Hope V2’s plenty of modulation with the ability to detach your retinas if required 😯

sambob
    Free Member

New SLX are pretty impressive for the money.

skywalker
    Free Member

Shimano all the way, the rest of the them have no modulation at all

Errr…Hope have way better modulation than Shitmano, everyone knows that.

As for hope good for the 1st 2 rides then there a nightmare

Really? Mine seem to be fit and forget, like many others. My brothers Shitmano XT’s however, haven’t worked properly for more than one ride.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Budget dependant, but i’d probably stick a set of the new XT’s on there. Good balance of power, weight & sensible price.

No budget, Formula. More powerful than Hope & a shed load lighter.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I assume you’re happy with the Elixir 7s as you’re moving them over.

Why not get a second set?

Will keep spares / service items simple.

Or get a second set and fit a Code calliper to the front?

I run 185/160mm (f/r) rotors with a Code calliper up front, Elixir calliper at the back and Juicy Ulitmate levers on my Shocker and have never had an issue with being under-braked (lots of Alps use). The brakes feel great, really well modulated. Not on/off like others. But that’s how I like them set up.

To be fair I run the same set up on my Hustler (185/160) and Stiffee (160/140) too.

Should add, I’m not a whippet or easy on machinary.

I_Ache
    Free Member

How do current Shimano brakes compare for power? They all look like a very similar design, do they just vary in weight or do they get more powerful the more expensive they are?

I have some Deores on my BFe and am very impressed with them. Would some SLX be more powerful? Or just lighter and more adjustable?

turboferret

2nd vote for Formula The Ones. Not cheap though 😯

Formula have a factory sale every year where I got mine less than half retail price, although I doubt you want to wait until October…

Saints are supposed to be very good as an alternative, and pretty good value.

Cheers, Rich

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I don’t have a bad word to say about my Hope V2s or my Hope X2s

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘which brakes for dh bike?’ is closed to new replies.