• This topic has 317 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 318 total)
  • wheres this cairn(?)
  • sadexpunk

thats if it is a cairn of course….

mates bet me i cant name the place, but he doesnt know how clever you are on here and that ill be asking 🙂
    think ive narrowed it down to the lakes….

matt_outandabout

Grizedale?

sadexpunk

Thanks. Any further info on that? Could you pinpoint it for me please? 🙂

sadexpunk

he says it was at the start of a 5hr walk if that helps?

martinhutch

Strictly speaking, pretty much everywhere is at the start of a 5hr walk…

oldbloke
    Free Member

I think that’s in Rothay Park in Ambleside.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s not a cairn AFAIK, It’s a momunent monunemt sclupture
    Well It’s not a cairn anyway!

grumpyrs

It’s a sculpture called ‘The Turning Point’

The Turning Point

Scroll down a few pics.

fubar
    Free Member

yep as per oldbloke the park in Ambleside…
    here

The grey path through the park labeled vicarage road with the footbridge over the stream in the background.

sadexpunk

thanks chaps. knew youd come good 🙂

martinhutch

That’s a relief. I knew I had the right hill in the background but was trying to narrow down the viewing position. Never been to Rothay Park…

oldbloke
    Free Member

I recognised the park rather than the sculpture. Many nights wandering back through the park from the Golden Rule to the holiday flat my parents rented over the burn.

sadexpunk

your excellent work shocked my mate, and hes now sent me another photo to identify, believing theres no chance. again, hes been in the lakes this week, so its gonna be from up there somewhere……

anyone recognise it?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

That’s on the path to Aira Force waterfall.

sadexpunk

haha, thanks a lot mate 😀

unsponsored
    Free Member

Tree with coins embedded is at Tarn Hows in the Lakes. Northern end of the tarn.

samej
    Free Member

There must be a lot of trees with embedded coins in the Lakes! There’s one on the coffin path between Rydal and Grasmere too…

edit:
    Yep reckon that’s the coffin trail one.

sadexpunk

this is his latest one, apparently its a wainwright. anyone help me out here?

thanks 🙂

ElShalimo

It looks a bit like High Street trig point

mangoman
    Free Member

Loadpot Hill

sadexpunk

haha, loadpot hill it was. much appreciated 😀

sadexpunk

hes upped his game and set me this challenge now 🙂

anyone?

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Glenridding?

honeybadgerx

Sourmilk ghyll, borrowdale (seathwaite)

sadexpunk

honeybadger seems confident, is yours a guess ormancheep? 🙂

do i go for sourmilk ghyll?

thanks 🙂

sadexpunk

youve been spot on so far lads, got every one right. hes upped the ante now tho. firstly this one may not be too difficult, but where is it?

now, hes getting desperate i think…… im not really expecting anyone to be able to get this but you never know. hes taken a couple of pics from inside a room and wanting to know where he is and which room number? 😀
    just thinking outside the box, if we can work out which b&b/hotel or whatever hes in, then i can ring them and ask about the bedding in different rooms 😀

honeybadgerx

Lodore Hotel, by Derwent Water? Somewhere around the southern end of Derwent Water anyway.

sadexpunk

ill look into that then thanks, is that where the first pics are taken too? south end of derwent water, is that what itll be called?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Pic one looks like the jetty at Abbot’s bay (called Highbrandlehow by the launch company), pic two is the sculpture by Victoria bay, and pic three looks like the jetty at Barrow bay (called Ashness by the launch company).

sadexpunk

thanks mate, ill report back on how successful that is 🙂

from a bit of googling i dont think the bedrooms the lodore hotel, none of the pics of the rooms have beds like that?

any other ideas?

boxelder

Pics are west side and south end of Derwent water.
    I reckon window and decor is too old for The Lodore. The view looks like across the valley to Maiden Moor/Cat Bells, from a hotel in/near woods, so I’ll guess The Scafell Hotel or Mary Mount. Can’t be assed to search though. Good luck.

sadexpunk

nope, hes not in either of those, nor the royal oak next to the scafell (bit stalkery this innit, but its a quest now) 😀

sadexpunk

a bit of a breakthrough hopefully…. ive seen another couple of his pics that seem to overlook a campsite. anyone know it?

EDIT: btw, you were spot on with the first few pics, thanks 🙂

sadexpunk

aaaand, just found this too….
    could it be a farm hes staying at that does b&b plus camping? anyone recognise anything yet? im wondering if hes staying in the building in the background…..

mangoman
    Free Member

The VW camper ‘cafe’ is on the Lingholm Estate but I’m fairly confident the bedroom is room 9 at The Old Dungeon Ghyll.

Esme
    Free Member

Room 9 😀

sadexpunk

just had a google, bluddy hell mate youve got it!!!

how the hell did you know that?? i think he’ll have a heart attack when i tell him!! 😀

mangoman
    Free Member

The wall’s recognisable and I’ve got work to do so thought I’d spend my time on this instead!

sadexpunk

haha. hes astounded, his facebook answer was just ‘gobsmacked!!!!!!!!!!’ makes it all worth while 😀

i thank you all. dread to think what he’ll come up with next, but i know youll be up to the task 😀

deejayen
    Free Member

What’s the story behind your quests? Did you tell him you know the Lake District like the back of your hand, even though you’ve never set foot in the place?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 318 total)

The topic ‘wheres this cairn(?)’ is closed to new replies.