Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Where was the best steak you have eaten?
  • rewski
    Free Member

At home – For me it’s got to be a Bavette steak or beef skirt simply grilled on bbq or griddle, bags more flavour in the skirt and a very very cheap cut, very popular in France.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had an unexpectedly nice bavette steak in Pierre Victoire, on Wardour St (I think) in Soho.

Lovely sauce and fantastic frites as well.

FuzzyWuzzy

A porterhouse @ Rothmann’s in NYC, the wine list was pretty good to 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

The Grain Store in Edinburgh

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

Moab, Utah.

grumm
    Free Member

Had this recently at The Midland in Morecambe of all places – was pretty spectacular.

Pan seared 8oz Cumbrian fillet steak glazed with Blacksticks blue cheese, crisp rosti potato, sautéed baby spinach, roasted vine cherry tomatoes, pink peppercorn sauce

DavidB
    Free Member

fivelittlefish – Member

Moab, Utah.

Please don’t say it was in that dingy western style restaurant a bit out of town? We had steaks there and they were average.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Orgiva, Andalucia.

simonralli2
    Free Member

A little restaurant in La Linea (which is the town on the boarder of Spain and Gibraltar). It is quite phenomenal, down a little side street and you would never find it unless you knew it was there and were shown it. Apparently it was in The Guardian’s top 100 steak restaurants in the world. Quite unbelievable and one of the few things I miss from living in Gib.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Munchies in chamonix does a great Argentinien fillet with a bernaisse sauce.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It was on a plate, in front of me.

Sorry. IGMC shall I?

johnny

Best steak was in a random restaurant near Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina. It was a ‘bife de lomo’, a kind of mega-fillet. Steak, watercress salad and tomato salad, with a bottle of Finca Flinchmann Caballero de la Cepa. Sublime.

As far as the Argies are concerned, Santa Fe produces the best steaks. It’s low-lying, humid and flat, so the vegetation is lush, meaning the cows don’t have to move much to eat lots.

PSA: If you want a decent Argentinian style Parilla (BBQ) over here, the best I’ve been to is Santa Maria de Buen Ayre in Hackney. It’s proper argie and not bad pricewise.

A proper Argie steak has salt rubbed into it, for a while, then barbecued slowly over wood embers, raked under the grill- no direct flames or charcoal! The wood burns in a brazier at one side and is then raked under as required. The result is a toasty, caramelised outside with a tender, juicy middle.

-I’m salivating now, so it’s a good thing I’m going back over to Mendoza at the end of next week…

juiced
    Free Member

Gaucho – central london.Amazing.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Clarabel’s in Ayia Napa does a nice steak, meat imported from New Zealand as far as I recall.

Amos
    Free Member

Gaucho in Valencia better than the Churrascarias in brazil

molgrips
    Free Member

I tell you what. It wasn’t steak as such, but I had roast venison last night at the hotel which was tremendous. I think it was probably a fillet or something, so pretty steak-like.

Really was something else.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The Russian Embassy, Guyana – damn fine I must say 😉

Otherwise it would probably be one of the many I have had in Orkney (the beef from there is better than the Kobe I have had IMO – properly rich and tender).

Although given the rib roast I got from my local farmer last year in Cumbria I may have to give one of his a try sometime… it may be a bit special.

Woody
    Free Member

Several fantastic steaks in Livigno, Italy but not quite as good as one cooked by my mate Didier before he had Silver Darlings restaurant in Aberdeen.

benkitcher
    Free Member

Fillet, cooked on slate (with plenty of pepper), overlooking Lac Montriond from the tin mines, after a days riding in Morzine. Not bad 🙂

Oh and Carnivore in Milwaukee was INCREDIBLE also.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Luxor steak house. Las Vegas.
    The fillet minion didn’t need chewing…

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Cattlemens in Bulawayo. Superb every time. The franchised one of the same name in Vic Falls was shiiite though.

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

Some place in Torrey, Utah. Stopped off overnight on a roadtrip and stumbled into the first place we saw. Superb steak and an unreal sunset.

Tvco
    Free Member

Can’t remember the name of the place but it’s in Rome and we found it by accident. The restaurant had two full cow carcasses maturing in refrigerated units in plain view in the restaurant. The steak was simply cooked and served with sautéed potatoes with a nice bit of sea salt……….mmmmmmm

callous
    Free Member

St Clements restaurant in Hastings or Jamies Italian in Oxford.
    Although I’ve been around the world those appeared in my memory as best.

oddjob
    Free Member

Another for Peter Luger’s in Brooklyn or La Caveu in Cleremont Ferrand – both superb

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Fillet – medium rare – at the Packhorse in Crowdicote, near Longnor. A few years ago now, and I think they have since changed hands.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

toss up between a steak house on Malta and Franzl’s Austrian restaurant in Birmingham

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

A place in Orlean, France. Cooked to perfection with just the right amount of garlic & seasoning.

ocrider

I’m actually amazed that anyone has had the best steak ever in France. 10 years and yet to find a butcher that hangs beef long enough.

Best steak I ever had in France was a cote de veau in a Michelin star resteraunt near me. It was alright, but nothing more.

Best steak ever? From a butcher’s in county Mayo.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

maybe it was the horse that tasted so good.

I’m more amazed that anyone has found a good steak in Orgiva, Andalucia.

Scamper
    Free Member

Had some good ones in Morzine this summer.

However, nothing comes close to what is served up at Gidleigh Park, Exmoor.

beanum

Churassco – Argentinian Steak House in Lausanne, Switzerland.

I’ve eaten at Munchie’s in Cham a few times, never tried the steak..Mmmm

flebby
    Free Member

The seahorse inn, on the beech under bat infested trees, negril, Jamaica.

yoshimi

Three Sisters, Amsterdam

popstar
    Free Member

Kobe beef from Wagyu cattle at the Dorchester Hotel in London. Shame I am not that rich to eat it everyday, … was working there at the time so had some treats’n’freebies.

sam_underhill

In the interest of fairness, I tasted my niece’s steak last night while out for dinner. Whilst it wasn’t the “best ever”, it was certainly the best I’ve eaten in a while (other than cooked by myself obviously!). It was tender, well cooked, well seasoned. and where was it? A beefeater attached to a premier inn (I wouldn’t normally eat there, we had some fussy eaters with no pallet that basically won’t eat anything that tastes nice!).

TheFopster
    Free Member

Wild Reindeer in northern Sweden, just inside arctic circle. Utterly gorgeous. Have since become a bit of a fan of reindeer, but wary of mentioning at home for fear of “you’ve eaten Bambi” recriminations from the kids. Lovely stuff, though…

ButtonMoon

69ers – Abu Dhabi……………

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Where was the best steak you have eaten?’ is closed to new replies.