Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Where there's blame, there's a claim quandary?
  • alanl
    Free Member

Looking for other peoples views on this.
    My OH slipped over in the private car park of a local business that has lots of visitors calling in to them through the day. Not going into details, but think of similar to Doctors/dentists etc. The car park was covered in ice, she trod on a drain and went over.
    Anyway, she’s got a nasty break of the upper arm, and now in plaster from the shoulder to below the elbow. Much pain with any movement.
    Two people have asked her today if she will be claiming off the company for her distress/ suffering.
    We wouldn’t normally bother with such things, but she is now thinking about it, as she cant sleep, has hardly moved off the settee for 2 days, cant wash properly, cant sleep flat in bed etc, so the settee is her home for at least the next week.
    Any views on whether they should be held to account,and claimed against, or is it just one of those things?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Sympathies to your OH, but surely one of those things?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

“Held to account”?

Did they go out and put some ice down for her to slip on, or did it just get cold one night in January? Sympathies to her, but it gets cold at this time of year and ice forms. That does not mean that someone is negligent. Shit happens.

dannybgoode

It was cold, there was ice, she fell over. Horrid for her but agree with Ashy on this one.

epicsteve
    Free Member

It was cold, there was ice, she fell over. Horrid for her but agree with Ashy on this one.

+1

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they said its not really negligent for ice to form when its cold and the accident is not life changing just annoying

core

I burned my finger badly at Chimichanga on a sizzling platter back in the autumn, totally my fault.

One of those things, I was dull, yet everyone at work asked if I’d complained, was seeking compensation or had got any free meals out of it.

They were genuinely bemused that I just took it on the chin and didn’t try to get some recompense, for my own stupidness.

Claim culture.

It’s crap, but suck it up, buttercup.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I can’t even see how this was negligent on their part. Assuming you mean a drain (and not a manhole cover) the there’s no way to grit it anyway – the grit would just fall down the drain.

Take this as a lesson. Don’t walk on drains covered in ice.

alanl
    Free Member

Well, yes, she didnt even think about making any claim until 2 of her friends said she must, as the Company really should try to mitigate the effects of the ice (grit it etc).
    She probably wont bother, but it is pretty annoying for her to be laid up aching.

jekkyl

nahh to all them lot, try a claim, why not, what have you got to lose? Everyone can use some extra dosh. They’ll likely have liability insurance anyway.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Company really should try to mitigate the effects of the ice (grit it etc).

Really? If this were the case then they’d have to cover the car park in the summer in case someone got sunburn! What would she/you do if it had happened on your doorstep?

Nasty thing to happen and I wish her well, but it really is just one of them things.

[nearlyajoke]Was she on her way to Specsavers?[/nearlyajoke] 😉

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yeah, what they said. Normally I’m pretty keen for people to claim where someone else (usually a car driver) has been negligent but it’s hard to blame anyone for the presence of ice unless exacerbated by poor maintenance or something like that. Eg if there was a dripping gutter that had turned the place into an ice rink, she might have a case.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not aware that anyone has been successfully sued for not gritting? Seem to remember that this was raised a while back as to whether you’d be sued if you cleared snow from the pavement outside your house and someone slipped on the subsequent ice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sunburn, stupid comparison

ampthill

If the postman walks up your drive tomorrow and slips breaking there arm, would you consider yourself liable for not gritting the drive?

sharkbait
    Free Member

You’re not wrong 😳

matt_outandabout

Where’s the car park? I could do with a new bike….

irc

Was it freak local conditions causing black ice in that car park but nowhere else? Or was it reasonable to assume that freezing temps might make things slippy? If it was me I’d tell myself I’d been a tit for not looking where I was going.

Google suggests otherwise though.

http://insider.zurich.co.uk/legal-matters/firms-failure-remove-car-park-ice-leads-damages-claim/

Is this a local business she wants to keep using?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I think every council in the land would go bust if a claim like that was processed.

alanl
    Free Member

The argument is (just saying, not agreeing with it), that as the Company, (actually, it is local, but a National chain, possibly a franchise) knows it has many people calling in to them in the mornings for appointments. Being as their car park is an ice rink, they should do something to make people aware of the slippery nature, by, either putting up a sign, or, gritting it, which is what they did yesterday (I went to fetch her car).
    They have been on the phone, and one of them is coming round tomorrow to see how she is.

yosemitepaul

Am genuinely very sorry for the injuries caused. Must be a right pain!
    What did your OH do to mitigate the effects of the ice? I assume she knew it was icy? What had the weather forecast predicted? Had she previously scraped ice from her car and whilst driving it seen the temperature? Did the car park look different, i.e. white with ice? What shoes was she wearing? If she knew it was icy did she wear those Yaktrax type grippers?
    I’m with everyone else. I know its difficult for both of you, but shit happens!

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m normally one of the first to suggest that people should claim for genuine negligence*, and almost tempted here, but I’m struggling to see genuine negligence. I suspect if she had been wanting to claim then I might not argue against that, but if she doesn’t want to then probably best all round to chalk it down as one of those things.

* though I should point out that I probably could have claimed for medical negligence after both my hernia ops but didn’t – was a bit tempted after my first one as it would have been a private hospital picking up the tab, but not at all when it would have been the NHS

SaxonRider

Please don’t claim.

My sincere sympathies to your OH, but it really was just one of those things.

Growing up in Canada, I have seen people slip on ice and fall under buses; I have seen people get nasty head gashes just by walking down a pavement; I myself have broken my right hand by falling on someone’s drive. I don’t think that the idea of claiming against anyone would have crossed anyone’s mind.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What’s happened here? How come everyone has gone all nicey nice? The op would normally have been torn a new one for even suggesting it was someone else’s fault.
    And apologies for not saying in my last post, hope she gets better soon.

slowster
    Free Member

their car park is an ice rink

Why was it in that condition? This is key to whether the business could be deemed negligent, and consequently be held liable.

It might be that there was sudden snowfall/freezing rain only a few hours or less before your other half fell over, in which case there may have been little that the business could reasonably have done.

At the other extreme, it might be that the car park has poor drainage with the result that pools of water occur every time it rains and do not drain away, and will inevitably freeze in winter whenever the temperature falls to zero. In that sort of scenario, the business should have been taking active steps to fix the drainage, and in the meantime it should have procedures in place whenever ice formed, such as prompt gritting/salting. In that event, I would think you should most certainly claim: it’s important where businesses are irresponsible and they cause harm as a result, that there is some comeback (even if it’s their insurers that pay), otherwise there is no incentive for them to properly manage the risks on their premises.

MoreCashThanDash

The business may not own/control the car park, of course. Might be the owners/landlords issue.

tomd
    Free Member

Jesus wept. You need a local newspaper article with a sad compo face to have any chance of a successful claim.

project
    Free Member

ice is a natural thing this time of year dress your feet accordingly, look where youre going etc, as son as she puts in a claim of her name will go off the customers list in the office she was visiting.

She will recover, compo or not.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Do the right thing. Don’t complain. I know the potential for money is tempting but you’ll feel better about not pursuing it.

edlong
    Free Member

Is it just me being ‘served’ adverts for solicitors at the bottom of this thread?

jimster01

Sympathies with the OP.

However there’s probably a sign in the car park disclaiming the owners of any responsibilities to anyone using the car park, and if any salt/grit had been put down they would have compromised the original sign.

johndoh
    Free Member

She fell and it is someone else’s fault?

Really FFS get a grip.

nealglover
    Free Member

However there’s probably a sign in the car park disclaiming the owners of any responsibilities to anyone using the car park

You can’t avoid your legal responsibilities just by putting up a sign saying so. It doesn’t work like that.

woody74

If you truly believe the company has done something wrong and were negligent then sue. If not then it is just one of those things, Would you sue the council for ice on a pavement or road?

cheers_drive

I came off the road bike on some mud a farmer a deposited on the road around their field entrance and broke a finger a few weeks ago. I feel they are more to blame than the OPs example but I’m still think it’s just one of things. Perhaps if the injury was life changing my decision would be different

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect looking at who else has posted on this thread you’re not alone, but I’m not seeing any – that would be taking the p 😉

skids
    Free Member

It’s perfectly normal for a car park to be slippery in sub zero temperatures, if you fall over because of that then it is 100% your own fault, wear better footwear or improve your balance

ampthill

OP salted your drive yet….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Another scenario, suppose frost was predicted overnight, the company gritted the car park, it then pisses down for an hour and washes the grit away, then it clears and freezes making it icy.
    Who’s fault and who is liable?

atlaz
    Free Member

TBH as much as I sympathise with your other half, it’s her own fault for not realising it was icy as I assume she must have noticed the cold weather and seen the ice when driving in. TBH, if I owned a business and people were suing me over an icy carpark I’d be inclined to make the carpark staff-only and make people find somewhere else to park. It’s a hassle you don’t really need.

It’s -10 here and we have snow/ice all over the place. Some places are gritted, some are cleared, some are not. If I went for a ride or walk and binned it on some ice I’d be more inclined to chalk it up to experience/stupidity than look for someone else to blame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Where there's blame, there's a claim quandary?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM