Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Where in UK haven't you been?
  • nickc

In reality the UK mainland is pretty small, I’ve got to go to Lincolnshire and East Yorks for business, and I’ve just realised that it’s a part of the UK I’ve never been, ever, not once. Is that odd? Great swathes of Scotland may as well have “here be dragons” on my map as well. Are there bits that people just ‘don’t go’ have you made an effort to get around to see the UK?

I do now, however, have to go to Wetwang, which pleases my inner 8 year old 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Liverpool and I dont want to go

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very north of Scotland
    Devon & Cornwall

thats it

nickc

I’ve been to Lossiemouth (dad was RAF) but not further North in scotland than that.

grum
    Free Member

Never been to Devon/Cornwall! Or Pembrokeshire. Not sure there is anywhere else I’ve not been that I particularly want to go. Northern Ireland maybe?

Liverpool is actually pretty cool these days Pigface.

weeksy

Loads of it… I’ve probably been to about 25% of it… although have passed 50% on a motorway getting to various places.

Never been to Cornwall, most of the north east, most of Scotland, most of Ireland.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

NOrth of Scotland and Islands. Southampton, Hull, Cardigan bay, Leicester.

Travel a lot for my job so been all over although usually it’s M’way, premier inn on industrial estate, industrial estate, M’way home. 😕

tang
    Free Member

Never been to Scotland. Several trips planned but always cancelled. I’m 40 now and have been all over the world to remote places, but never Scotland. Hope to remedy this soon!

fionap

People who’ve never been to Cornwall – go! You’re missing out. I lived there from the age of 4 to 29 (with the odd gap) and I’m increasingly grateful that I got to grow up there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Far north of Scotland/Islands
    South east of england

Liverpool is a cracking place IMHO

mintimperial

I’ve got to go to Lincolnshire and East Yorks for business, and I’ve just realised that it’s a part of the UK I’ve never been, ever, not once. Is that odd?

You’re not missing much. Hundreds of miles of flat, boring fields, mostly.

Liverpool’s ace.

I’ve never really been to South Wales, apart from one stag do in Cardiff which doesn’t really count. Must get round to it at some point, I hear there’s some OK riding if you know where to look for it… 😉

kayla1
    Free Member

Northern Ireland, Wales, northern Scotland. We’ve been to lots of England through work though.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Leeds. unfortunately i have been to Hull, Liverpool and Coventry 😥

trail_rat
    Free Member

never been to london – other than heathrow airport …. but thats like saying ive been to singapour , doha , kuala lumpur

never been to ireland either

hilldodger
    Free Member

England – pretty much all regions visited, haven’t found anywhere “better” or “worse” just a wide range of diversity and customs
    Wales – sadly under visited except for touristy bits, must try harder
    Scotland – worked in Edinburgh for a year, seen bits of it on the TV, look pretty enough in parts but too far for short trips and what it offers in geographic charm isn’t enough to make it preferable over the cultural richness of other parts of Europe for a holiday destination

richmtb

Never been to Orkney or Shetland, Never been to Lewis or Harris or any of the Outer Hebrides. Been most every where else in Scotland.

Not seen a lot of England outside of London and the Lake District, been to Wales on holiday once. Never been to Northern Ireland.

maccruiskeen

Milton keynes
    Mull, Islay and Jura
    Birkenhead
    Isle of Wight
    Isle of Man

I’ve been to the main islands of Shetland and Orkney but non of their little siblings (discounting the ones that are connected by bridges

rocketman
    Free Member

East Anglia. Never been don’t think I ever will. And that bit down south from kind of Dorset to the Isle of Wight

Most major cities

Everywhere else is familiar-ish

stumpy01

Tons and tons of the UK/British Isles that I am yet to see!

Never been over to any part of Ireland,
    Barely scratched the surface of Wales, although have been to quite a few bits.
    Lots of the South Coast still to see.
    Done a bit of the NE coast, but very little of the NW coast.
    Seen a bit of the lake district, but not much.
    Scotland, barely seen any of it.

rogermoore

Not visited Channel or Scilly Islands, Isle of Wight, Shetlands and Orkneys or the very top of Scotland yet. Can’t really think of any other area I’ve not been to or passed through during work or trips!
    RM.

senorj

Norwich ,Ipswich , Northern Scotland ,South of Exeter.

grum
    Free Member

unfortunately i have been to Hull, Liverpool and Coventry

I bet they loved you too.

Wales – sadly under visited except for touristy bits, must try harder

I’ve been to Wales quite a bit and while there is some beautiful countryside I just can’t seem to fall in love with the place, unlike Scotland or the Lake District/Yorkshire Dales or even the Pennines. Not sure what it is. I have Welsh heritage too – just generally find Wales a bit odd somehow.

maccruiskeen

What can be a surprise is places close by that you’ve never been to. I had a job to do in warrington a few years back – less than 15 miles from where I grew up and where my folks still live – if I’d fallen asleep on the bus its where I would have woken up. Wasn’t til I arrived on site that I realised I’d never been there before. Same with Birkenhead – looked at if from across the water – even been over on the ferry – but didn’t get off the boat.

fasthaggis

Halifax,Southport,St Davids area up to New Quay and some of the Scots islands.
    Used to travel a lot for work and did a lot of motorbiking at weekends,so I have been to most parts of the UK.

binners

Done most of Scotland, Wales, and Northern and South Western England. Been to Ireland (north and South) quite a lot too. When we were younger, we’d just bugger off somewhere different on the motorbikes for the weekend.

Most of the South East (outside London) holds absolutely zero appeal though. Every time I end up down there (usually with work) , I wonder how on earth people actually live there. Its ****ing awful! Its all looks the same. Utterly characterless! It may be ‘terribly nice’ but my god its dull!

And its too flat! Theres no hills. I get a bit jittery and borderline agoraphobic if I can’t see any hills

househusband

There may be a few counties I’ve missed but the only area in the UK I haven’t set foot on is N. Ireland.

Mackem

Western Scotland and the islands. Shetland too.

nickc

Binners TBF there are parts of S.E. that are really nice, the Chilterns for example is the largest unbroken expanse of woodland in southern Britain, and it’s picture postcard in places (particularly where there are no folk…)

But there are also bits that are awful (true of anywhere really)

Still, Wetwang…. 😆

fasthaggis

When we were younger, we’d just bugger off somewhere different on the motorbikes for the weekend.

Yup ,this is what we used to do,with a car or two hauling all the camping gear. I hope some of the Yoof still do this,it was a great way of getting to know places.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Places I haven’t been but think I’d really like to see

Western Isles of Scotland
    Western coast of Northern Ireland

Should see;

Liverpool
    Glasgow

@binners – South Downs are spectacular, North Downs I know you’ve spent some time in but they are pretty special given how close they are to London. Cotswolds.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Most of it tbh to be honest, obviously not counting travelling through..

In England, I’ve only been to manchester, newscastle, liverpool, london, glastonbury, portsmouth and coventry.

Never been to wales.

Never been to any of the scottish islands apart from Arran.

In Scotland I’ve only ever made it as far north as Golspie and Torridon.

Belfast and Downpatrick would be the only really places I’ve been to across the water in the occupied north. 😆

Plenty exploring still to be done. I would think it’s unusual that people have seen the whole of the landmass or covered most of it. we are creatures of habit and generally holidaying abroad is more popular I think.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Jambalaya – Member

Western coast of Northern Ireland

The brits back at the old empire building again? 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

unfortunately i have been to Hull, Liverpool and Coventry
    I bet they loved you too.

i think the feeling was mutual. unlike Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle which for me were far nicer places/people and no obvious regional chestbeating and distrust of people who are ‘different’ maybe it’s to do with a long history of trade/immigration that makes them more tolerant of ‘outsiders’

not spent much time in the borders, i guess people whizz through on the way up to Scotlan and for some reason want to try York and Durham but the touristy thing in York puts me off. the north west of northern Ireland is also on the visit list.

mintimperial

And its too flat! Theres no hills. I get a bit jittery and borderline agoraphobic if I can’t see any hills

Too right. I went to Norfolk once, it was horrible. You’d drive for ages and not be able to tell the difference. Felt like the sea could just flood in and destroy everything at any time. And where would you hide from invading enemy troops/zombies/aliens? Got to have some decent hills, basic human right really.

grum
    Free Member

i think the feeling was mutual. unlike Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle which for me were far nicer places/people and no obvious regional chestbeating and distrust of people who are ‘different’

You’d rate Birmingham over Liverpool? Birmingham is an absolute dive IMO.

It’s probably more a distrust of arrogant London hipsters than just any people who are different. 😉

Got to have some decent hills, basic human right really.

+1

tomhoward

Basically anywhere not on the mainland, except the Isle of Wight.

Don’t think ive ever, knowingly, been to Essex. Meh…

tomd
    Free Member

Places I’ve not been and want to go:
    – Harris / Lewis / Uist
    – Orkney / Shetland
    – Northumbria
    – West coast of Wales
    [Edit] – Antrim coast

Places I’ve never been and will make no effort to try:
    – The entire east coast of England south of Scarborough

mattsccm
    Free Member

Orkneys, Shetlands and the bit of England south and east of London. Been to the latter as a kid to see Tutankhamen exhibition. Can’t see a reason to go back e except imperial war museum.

andytherocketeer

most of scotland (but go there every year since 1992, to Ayrshire and/or Aviemore)
    most of ireland (have family that come from there, but I’ve spent the grand total of 3 days in Dublin)
    most of wales (went to Barry Island on a school trip)
    lots of bits of England that I’ve been through, but not what I’d call been to (most of the north)
    every single isle except wight and sheppey (nothing much to write home about for either tbh)

edhornby

centre of birmingham, Linconshire, Essex, Northumberland, NI are the only bits not on the list but I’m not desperate to see any tbh, maybe NI would be good for a holiday

pretty much all of wales and Scotland ticked off – Orkney is great as are skye and the islands

actually thinking about it I should put Speyside and the Outer Hebrides on the list, maybe a holiday when the ankle biters are older

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Where in UK haven't you been?’ is closed to new replies.