Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Where have all the manners gone?
  • slowoldman

Does anyone miss a time when it was standard practice to allow people to get off a train or out of a lift, rather than just barging in, elbows flailing?

tenfoot

I think there is just a general lack of awareness of others, these days.

At lunchtime today, I went to Asda, and three people had stopped at the top of the travelator for a conversation. Meanwhile, people pile up behind them, as that moving walkway doesn’t stop for people having a chat.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed. Fed up of holding open doors for people and not being thanked or seeing people push past my (6 yr old) kids in doorways as they try to walk through.

I like to think I am doing my bit by *constantly* reminding them to say thank you every time they are given anything, no matter how small, and I teach them to be clean, tidy & not drop litter. One of them even picks up other people’s litter in the street and then complains about them being messy 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

You could try this

Or this

spawnofyorkshire

On a cattle-cart standing room only train pulling into leeds one morning i witnessed a guy sneeze into a woman’s face with no apology or attempt to prevent it.
    Appalling stuff, everyone was gob-smacked. 30s later the doors open and the bellend trots of like nothing happened

I do not miss commuting to work by train

scotroutes

There must be some geographical or cultural variation going on. I don’t really recognise this as an issue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Manners started to die out when gentlemen stopped wearing hats.

Bring back hats.

terrahawk
    Free Member

There must be some geographical or cultural variation going on. I don’t really recognise this as an issue.

lucky you. Nothing but c**ts around here.

bigyinn
    Free Member

These days NOTHING is more important than the self. Anything outside their immediate personal circle doesn’t even appear on their radar.

footflaps

Long before that, ever since they banned shooting peasants it’s been downhill ever since….

D0NK

These days NOTHING is more important than the self.

Nah it’s not that widespread, I catch the train alot and most people will wait for people getting off, move down the train etc etc. The problem is all the bottle necks, it only takes a couple of idiots to **** things up.

My pet peeve is people standing in the doorwyas of trains and bitching and moaning when you ask them to either move down the train or be let passed.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think it’s down to the increasing infantilisation of society – and as anyone who has kids knows, they think they’re the centre of the universe.

Rorschach
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member

^ See! ….Nae Hat. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

These days NOTHING is more important than the self. Anything outside their immediate personal circle doesn’t even appear on their radar.

You say that as if “they” is everyone.

It’s just a tiny percentage in my opinion, and has always been the same.

I got flattened and badly bruised when a woman rushed in front of me to dodge through a closing shop door without touching it, letting it slam in my face.

That was 38 years ago and I was 5 years old.

It’s nothing new.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

2 incidents in the last week.

1 – out walking with the kids and on a narrow piece of path we (4) come across two women standing having a chat, they have 3 dogs between. As we reach them to go past, one of the dogs starts barking and straining at the leash, manages to get closes enough to my youngest for her to have to get out the way. My kids are quite comfortable and confident with dogs but all four of us were trying to get out the way. Then the woman turns to her dog and says “it’s OK, you’re all right”. I ushered the kids aside and expected an apology and since one was not forthcoming I had words with them, to the effect of So long as fido is ok never mind people just walking along and told her to get grip.
    2 – arrived early for my train yesterday and was one of just 2 people standing at the door waiting to get on, by the time they open the doors (15mins later) 2 women and one man in the now quite large queue just barge past.

It’s the end of civilisation. It really is. Really.

Bimbler
    Free Member

My interactions with young people (daughters are 13 and 10) have shown me a far better mannered, polite and helpful bunch than my generation of 70-80’s kids ever were. It’s the lack of lead in petrol dontcha know, perhaps.

DrJ

Hmmm .. I just assumed that it was a London thing, but maybe people are horrible selfish idiots all over, and it’s just that there’s more people here to start with..

1 – out walking with the kids and on a narrow piece of path we (4) come across two women standing having a chat,

This sort of “femme-spreading”(*) is not restricted to the Tracys and Sharons. The posh mummies round here also occupy the entire footpath with their baby buggies obliging passers-by to walk in the road.

(*) (c) DrJ

johndoh
    Free Member

Those mummies that *really* boil my piss are the ones that are stood right by the zebra crossing outside school after they have dropped their darlings off and when you stop to let them cross you realise they are just having a chat and not wanting to cross at all. Stand somewhere else ****!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

No wayyyy I was thinking idily about this today when battling thru town walking to bus stop and people jumping cues at shops.

I find it’s usually the super dooper ” important folk ” eith money and should know better but then that’s just my belief.

Suppose the rich rude folk havent got to where they are today by being polite!

I woukd generally in your situation on the tube do a massive guff and that should, just should see them wiped to the ground where you can use them as steps.

🙂

D0NK

This sort of “femme-spreading”(*) is not restricted to the Tracys and Sharons.

we get tosser-spreading here. Two guys in separate passing cars stop for a 5 minute chat completely blocking the road. Seen one guy jump out of his car all aggrieved when someone beeped at him for doing this.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Those mummies that *really* boil my piss are the ones that are stood right by the zebra crossing outside school after they have dropped their darlings off and when you stop to let them cross you realise they are just having a chat and not wanting to cross at all. Stand somewhere else ****!

+ 1 this happened today on my way to work and getting bus back people who sneeze without covering their god damn mouths/noses and continue as if it’s their gid given to spread their shitty diseases.

Makes me livid and gets to point of just turning round to give them a massive dirty eyeballing if they say anything then it’ll kick off.

Dirty bastads

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

When I was little we raised our caps to all the motorists who stopped at the zebra crossing – school rule!

I think it’s down to the increasing infantilisation of society – and as anyone who has kids knows, they think they’re the centre of the universe.

+1

Home rule (old version), kids get up and offer seat to grown ups on public transport. Bizarre situation today when old people get up to allow little kids to sit down and/or families think its ok for little ones to sprawl across several seats with the feet on them too.

Oh and when was it ok not to take your rubbish with you???

Breakdown of social fabric in the sloppy age that we live in.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Was walking up town earlier. Was going through a bottle neck and this woman was climbing all over the back of me trying to get past. He reason for almost tripiing me up was so that she could go and block the pavement at the back of the bus queue that I had to squeeze through – not a single one of them mvoed either. Stockbridge in Edinburgh.

DrJ

Oh and when was it ok not to take your rubbish with you???

That’s quite OK as long as you put it carefully under the Tube seat.

Apparently.

AlexSimon

It’s a population density thing imo.

Thank goodness I live oop north and in the sticks. Lovely polite, friendly people around here (until they get in a car).

As soon as it’s spreads here, I’ll go somewhere where there are even fewer people.

racefaceec90

Where have all the manners gone?

UP YOURS! 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

Where’s your manners? Round the corner picking up dogshit

That one’s for the benefit of anyone who was at primary school during the seventies 🙂

slowoldman

I went to Asda, and three people had stopped at the top of the travelator for a conversation.

Yes, this too.

Those mummies that *really* boil my piss are the ones that are stood right by the zebra crossing

and this.

It’s the end of civilisation. It really is. Really.

I agree.

I think you may be right. I’m going to buy myself a trilby and see if my manners improve.

aP
    Free Member

There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families.

Margaret Thatcher

crazy-legs

Was waiting on the station platform last night for our train to arrive.
    It pulled in (terminus stop so everyone is getting off). Immediately, almost before it stopped, everyone on the platform was clustering tightly round the doors.

Doors opened and there was a guy with a bike trying to get off; no-one on the platform would budge, everyone was there elbows out waiting to get on board. In the end the guy just slammed his bike into the crowd and barged through.

Whatever happened to just standing aside, waiting for everyone to disembark and then boarding? I of course was standing well back out of the way cos I’m polite like that.

chakaping
    Free Member

No, it’s down to public transport being overcrowded and margaret thatcher.

And she’s probably to blame for the public transport anyway.

nickc

has this just become an airing of casual annoyances?

may I offer; people who rush into the cinema just as the film is about to start arms full of “oh so tasty snacks” to help them get through the agonisingly empty hours of the film, and barge past to get to their seats. I understand no-one really wants to sit through 20 minutes of being advertised at, but really is a little bit of thought for your fellow cinema go-er so out of the question?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry, yes.

DrJ

people who rush into the cinema just as the film is about to start

Do they then chatter for the first 10 minutes of the film, and dash off as soon as the credits roll?

bails

People have been writing for hundreds, if not thousands, of years that this generation is terrible and the end of civilisation and not like their well-behaved generation at all.

If you’re thinking like this then you’re just getting old. Nothing to do with changing standards. 😉

gordimhor

People with good manners are a minority and suffer discrimination in a mannerism of speaking.

Bunnyhop

I see a lack of basic manners such as saying the word thank you. Its an easy word to say, doesn’t take up any effort or time. Also it takes little effort to raise a hand in thanks when letting out a driver.

For most of this year I’ve been partially disabled and have been astonished at the number of people who have just let a door slam in my face, have almost knocked me over, or have made no effort to help when I’ve been struggling.

On the plus side, every single one of my family and friends who are bringing up children, are teaching them good manners. It gives me hope

chakaping
    Free Member

People have been writing for hundreds, if not thousands, of years that this generation is terrible and the end of civilisation and not like their well-behaved generation at all.

“What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?”
    Plato in the fourth century BC

OP has a point about trains though!

nealglover
    Free Member

If you’re thinking like this then you’re just getting old. Nothing to do with changing standards

Nail on the head.

If you are one of the ones moaning, then you are simply getting old 🙂

You are saying exactly the same things your parents said while you were rolling your eyes and ignoring them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Where have all the manners gone?’ is closed to new replies.