Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • where does the north start?
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

If you can say “Education for the masses, not just the ruling classes” and make it rhyme you’re from the North.

As a Scot I tend to view anything south of Glasgow as The South. However having lived in Cheshire and now Wiltshire and travelled widely in the UK I’d say anything north of Birmingham is The North.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The North of England starts at Lancaster/Sheffield (draw a line across, anything south of that is the Midlands… where the South starts I have no idea, I don’t go there!)

From where I live the south of the UK starts at the Pentland Firth 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I forgot to explain why the North of England starts there – south of Lancaster it is deeply congested, flat and boring. North of there you have ace pubs, hills and proper people. Mostly. Except ex-pat Southerners who move up and buy “quaint” cottages then throw a wobbly at everyone for living how they always have in the area cos it isn’t how they expected people to live/work/behave/drive/talk/drink etc etc etc.

will
    Free Member

Think you’ll find this explains it very well!

I live in North Nottingham, and go to uni in Sheffield. I always see myself as a northerner, as do people who meet me 🙄

FoxyChick
    Free Member

From where I live the south of the UK starts at the Pentland Firth

You moved again Rob??

Me and MrFC out for drinkies later if you are in town!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

From where i’m looking on the south coast, anywhere north of London is pretty north to me.

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

isn’t it anywhere you can walk into a chippy and ask for a pudding

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Stuart Maconie has written a brilliant book which goes in to this subject in GREAT depth.

It’s called “Pies And Prejudice”.

His verdict was the North starts at Crewe.

Kip

Blimey this one ran didn’t it?!

I’m pretty sure I can call myself a northerner especially going by the “gravy on chips” and the “going into a chippy and asking for a pudding” statements.

I also find the whole Cheshire is a lost section of the home counties thing a bit strange. Yes, I grew up in Kelsall and it would appear at least 2 of you are are familiar with it, but when I grew up it wasn’t anything like the WAGS inspired sections of Cheshire you get now.

Personally I think that North is a state of mind, you either believe you are or you don’t. Anyway my hubby reckons if you aren’t from Northern Ireland you can’t say you’re from the North! 😀

miketually
    Free Member

You couldn’t ask for a pudding in a chippy in Darlington, but it’s definitely in the north.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘where does the north start?’ is closed to new replies.