Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • where do you see bike technology heading? mtb's & road.
  • racefaceec90

what are your thoughts?

i can see electronic shifting becoming mainstream in the future.maybe with some type of auto change that can sense if you are climbing/descending e.t.c and change automatically.

mtb’s also getting intelligent suspension that can do the same as above.

maybe bikes can be made from graphene some day?

and 26″ will make a big comeback 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

internal gearboxes on mtbs. I hope.

butcher

Internal combustion engine.

b45her
    Free Member

lapierre have already done the intelligent suspension thing.

jam-bo

Round in circles.

singlespeedstu

cynic-al – Epic Battle Legend Big Hitter

internal gearboxes on mtbs. I hope

Me too.

I’d love to see the clean looks, simplicity, ease of maintanance of a singlespeed drivetrain with a few gears thrown in now i’m getting older and not as strong as i once was.

LsD
    Free Member

Aerogel and hover technology.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Internal gearboxes at XT level on bikes

Di2 at XTR (lighter, efficient, less durable, it’ll be around for a while for racers race bikes)

Intelligent suspension is here, look at FPS2 on lapierre bikes.

Other than that, just lighter, stronger, stiffer, and more carbon.

martymac

internal gearbox, with shaft drive.
    electronic shifting on mid range bikes.
    intelligent suspension on mid range bikes.
    i reckon electric bikes will become mainstream.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I see intelligent bikes with GPS that can learn ‘you’ giving you the ‘perfect’ gearing and suspension settings…. for ‘your’ circuit, taking into account the prevaling meteorological conditions.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Electromagnetic suspension that can be controlled on the fly from the bars? (Audi have this on some of their cars I believe).

Electronic wireless brakes without any feel to them, but lots of servo assisted power?!

billytinkle
    Free Member

Holographic projections from the likes of Strava so you can follow your ‘ghost’ on trails.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Holographic projection? Sheeeyit, that is some Minority Report stuff!

Rear derailleur is going to be designed out I reckon. Am I the only person who likes them?

billytinkle
    Free Member

Holographic projection? Sheeeyit, that is some Minority Report stuff!

It’s coming… http://vimeo.com/44585500#at=0

firestarter
    Free Member

cynic-al – Epic Battle Legend Big Hitter

internal gearboxes on mtbs. I hope

Me too. I’d love to see the clean looks, simplicity, ease of maintanance of a singlespeed drivetrain with a few gears thrown in now i’m getting older and not as strong as i once was.

what like a rohloff 😉

tang
    Free Member

Yes, but a bit lighter please and in the bb.

banks
    Free Member

Heated grips!

More black chilli style tyres

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what like a rohloff

should he have included a desire for a wheel weighing less than 2.5kg?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

27 different wheel sizes, all of which are ‘faster’ and ‘better’….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Mtb will get:
    Wider bars
    Wider steerers
    Wider front axels
    Step up in bar clamp size
    A new disc mounting system
    People will start riding clipped in again
    Different wheel sizes
    Longer forks

firestarter
    Free Member

I’m sure mine doesn’t weigh that spoony but its not the lightest. great bit of kit tho h don’t intend to go back to normal gears anytime soon

mrmo
    Free Member

go back 20 years and that is where bikes will go. There is nothing new, it is just a cycle. biopace will reappear at some point as will L cranks, rigid forks narrow bars and narrow tyres….

djglover
    Free Member

I just want the lighter wheels, frames and components to come down in price. You can get a 13.5lb canyon for £3.5K

When they are 2K… 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Hopefully an internal gearbox, but probably just more headset standards.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Forget steel, aluminium and titanium, carbon is where it at. The living organic bike. You get a bike at age 6 and it grows with you for the rest of your life. You change its style, gears, travel, wheel diameter and colour by manipulating its DNA via a USB5 port using Adobe BikeShop CS19….

…its true I read it in What Mountain Bike!!

TheGingerOne

We will all be printing new bits and replacements using 3d printers. There will not even be a need for online shops, let online the lbs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

People will start riding clipped in again

Did they ever stop?

I’m sure mine doesn’t weigh that spoony

1850g for a disk hub, Vs Pro2 at 285g, an average wheel is about 1kg so 715g for spokes and rim, 1850+715 = 2565g

I can see why they’re popular though, brilliant bit of engineering.

mikey74
    Free Member

Internal gear boxes on mtbs at all levels and disc brakes on road bikes (not for the power, but to save the rims of the wheels).

scaredypants

Sensible use of massive BB sections (big diameter threaded inserts, better eccentric BBs, one day a viable and light gearbox)

mainstream mtb electric shifting, pretty soon I imagine but mud and cost of rockstrikes will be an issue (until the electric BB-mounted gearbox ?!)

Tubeless jizz is due a step-up IMO. Something “painted” on the inside surface maybe ?

RustySpanner

Road:
    Fairings/aero aids – shaped seats etc.
    More decoupling of the frame from ever worsening road surface – ie Trek Domain, but even more radical. Perhaps non-mechanical suspension systems.
    Wider tyres as the norm.
    More emphasis on comfort.

Mtb:
    26inch to be accepted as the standard wheelsize.
    Non-mechanical suspension again – the return of flexy stays!

Both:
    Mass centralisation.
    Drinks containers integrated into frames.
    Hub gears/gearboxes.
    Belt Drive.
    Tubeless that works.
    Intelligent linked hydraulic brakes – one lever, braking force distributed automatically.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Love the strava suggestion

Internal gearbox has be the way forward that and belt drive
    With all the fox ad rockshox csu issues maybe dale style headshox will make a comeback

Spesh and other do intergrated hydration already on tt tri bikes

parkesie
    Free Member

Mtb are turning into cyclocross, road bikes are turning into cyclocross were all doomed

jameso

i can see electronic shifting becoming mainstream in the future.maybe with some type of auto change that can sense if you are climbing/descending e.t.c and change automatically.

mtb’s also getting intelligent suspension that can do the same as above.

god please no.. )

all i want is bearings that last more than a few months..

firestarter
    Free Member

Spoony I think the weight you quote is for all the gubbins included with the rohloff as that’s normally how they are listed and a bit unfair really

Hub and mounting hardware 1816, dt spokes 190, stans crest 29er 380 so 2386g that’s a whole half a morning turd difference 😉

maxtorque

Self cleaning bikes that use thousands of tiny nanobots that live inside the bikes frame tubes, and when you get back from a dirty ride they just crawl out and lick all the mud and dirt off!

doof_doof
    Free Member

Better integrated dropper posts enabling much larger seat tube diameters to be used.
    Front hubs will get wider at some point.

JoeG
    Free Member

banks – Member

Heated grips!

Like these?

CHB

I see a return to fast skinny bikes, Like a sort of Phat Cyclocross.
    Small amount of suspension, with zero pivots, Adaptive front fork, internal gear box in BB.
    Narrow bars and tyres of approx 1.8.
    For many peoples riding a phat cyclocross would be better and faster that the 6 inch travel AM bike that they ride the gently undulating trails on.

globalti
    Free Member

Some of us are still riding our fast skinny bikes!

My Global Th1.5 has rigid forks and flat XC bars and is often shod with 1.8s or even 1.6 commuter tyres for racing, it’s very light and very fast. It was built for carrying up proper mountains and doing Polaris events.

andy3809
    Free Member

I’d be happy with being able to use all the gears on mine. 10 speed double yet I can’t use big big and small small without the rear mech blowing up or a floppy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘where do you see bike technology heading? mtb's & road.’ is closed to new replies.