Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where do I buy a duck?
  • teacake
    Free Member

I assume some butchers do them – but can anyone recommend a butcher is Bristol who will have one for sure?

Impromptu-Chinese New Year-friends already invited and promised authentic duck-panic – apparently it needs to be painted with sauce and dried in a windy place for hours. Hmmm!

Cheers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You'll be hard pushed to make your own "authentic" duck….! Go to a Chinese market/shop and ask them there.

anjs
    Free Member

and use a bike pump to create an air pocket under the skin so it goes crispy. Presta and schradier both work..

grynch
    Free Member

say the secret word and a duck comes down…

bullheart
    Free Member

Duck shop?

Yup, duck shop.

Feel free to ask me anything else.

Jamie
    Free Member

Duxford?

teacake
    Free Member

For Duck's sake – any serious answers?!

bullheart
    Free Member

Duxbury?

Little Kwackington?

boblo
    Free Member

I had to look this up in the ductionary to understand the issue. The others have all ducked the question, google and mail order are your friends. The package will of course be secured with duct tape 🙂

HTH

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You could always go out and steal one.

scaredypants

find your local MP's house, sail scross the moat to their duck house & take as many as you like

(be careful the MP hasn't also claimed a gatling gun / howitzer on expenses recently)

matthewjb
    Free Member

Go to your local Chinatown and buy an authentic one.

I heard they are 'rubbery'.

BigJohn

I get mine from Sainsbury or Tesco.

Pat it dry then paint it with a small glass of the strongest (drinkable) spirit you have – gin, whisky, vodka – leave it in a cold draughty place for as long as you have got, even if you've only got an hour. Or blow it with hair dryer on cold. Put it in the oven after painting with a mixture of soy sauce, sugar and water.

I put it on a rack with a baking tray on the rack below, with half an inch of water in. Cook it very hot, basting regularly with the soy mixture.

Its ever so easy to make the pancakes yourself and they taste great. http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Chinese_Pancakes.aspx

teacake
    Free Member

Big John!

Thanks a million. Hairdryers at the ready.

Col

father
    Free Member

Try Lidl, they usually have them

lyons
    Free Member

just go to your local canal/pond with an air rifle surely?

ourmaninthenorth

promised authentic duck

And you are going to carved it properly, aren't you, not do that Chinese restauratnt shredding thing?

teacake
    Free Member

Duck went brilliantly. Sainsbury's sell them – £6.99. Made up the sauce, used the hairdryer to dry it out – perfect – yum yum.

Cheers for all input – helpful or otherwise!

BigJohn

Ask me nicely and I'll tell you the best way to do spare ribs…

Glad you enjoyed it. Who cares if it's not authentic as long as it tastes good.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Where do I buy a duck?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM