Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Where can I develop ned level wheelie skills?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What is it with neds being able to wheelie stupidly well? And more to the point how do I learn to do it?

brakes
    Free Member

you have to steal a bike that’s too big for you and smoke a load of low grade weed first

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You are too old, forget it!

jedi

time and practice.
    i never bothered learning to wheelie my mtb. no need for it

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wheelies are too easy on anything with smaller wheels on a road bike as Jedi says.

Macavity
    Free Member

How many Zulus?
    Have a look on Youtube for bike skills.

robgarrioch

There was a suggestion of skills ‘workshops’ on our regular TBC rides SBZ – and Bruce (Coastkid) would be THE man for this particular one – maybe next spring / summer, or in deep snow in the coming months…

10pmix
    Free Member

This made me laugh a lot. Some of the hooded order round my way can wheelie like I’ve never seen. Just last week one guy came through the pedestrian area of the town at about 20mph doing a standing wheelie on a knackered old 21″ thing. If it hadn’t have been for the multitude of prams and OAPs he almost ran down I would have been very impressed. Quite a few have got the one handed/ no footed wheelies sorted too.

I’ve even thought about offering some of them 50 quid to teach me (payment in arrears of course).

poppa
    Free Member

Quite a few have got the one handed/ no footed wheelies sorted too.

How on earth do you do a wheelie without your feet on the pedals?!?

Morris
    Free Member

Best tip I was given is not to pull up on the bars, just shift your weight back and pedal, making sure you cover the back brake.

Just about finding your balancing point.

soobalias
    Free Member

how much time have you honestly dedicated to learning so far?

just yanking on the bars mid ride doesnt count, take the spds off, drop the saddle right the way down, find a flatish area to ride, look stoopid for potentially hours…..
    the neds you are talking about dont mind looking stoopid…

user-removed
    Free Member

Neds also have bionic throwing arms – they can chuck rocks twice as far, and as hard, as normal kids.

scruff
    Free Member

I can get to the balance point but always end up going left or right. Hans Rey has said turn the bars & stick your knees out to alter your weight, but it doesnt work as Im not Hans Rey.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Check this out…..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSqkKtnMM_U

Harder than he makes it look, but its great fun giving it a whirl.

If Im not going fast enough to manual, I often wheelie over massive puddles / holes, oap’s etc 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    time and practice.
    i never bothered learning to wheelie my mtb. no need for it

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, say it aint so Tony!

Last Sunday I had to much mud on the bike & needed to clean it off, I saw a massive puddle & thought I should ride through it to clean the bike, then I thought what if it’s a massive pot hole, so I manualed in to it, it was a lot deeper than I expected, but holding the front wheel up kept me out of trouble, I ended up with wet shoes, but it could of been much worse….

GW
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    you have to steal a bike that’s too big for you and smoke a load of low grade weed first

I can wheelie for miles, learnt back at about 8yr old on an adult roadbike that was far far too big for me funnily enough 😳 no low grade weed back then though, just Regal kingsize nicked off my mum.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

2nd lessons from Coastkid, watched him wheelieing down the road the other week, doesn’t even stop for corners. And he does it on a clown bike.

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup can also vouch for Coastkids wheelies, Usually going very fast on the road down from Bonaly to the shop at the end of a TBC ride.

As much as I’d love to be able to wheelie , to be able to perfect a proper manual like In the last scenes In ‘ROAM’ would be ace.

GW
    Free Member

Aye, coastkid’s sit down DH manuals are total Class!! 😀
    We were chatting about manuals/wheelies at the weekend – think he said he can only manual well sat down and I can only manual well brakeless (I can manual a good 100m but if I so much as touch the rear brake it’s over 😳 ).

coastkid
    Free Member

i learnt on BMXs in the 80s but kept it going…you need to find the balance point while using the rear brake, some folk dont use/need brakes i drag the rear lightly, learning uphill is a bit easier, i used to wheelie dirtbikes on the beach and the drag was like uphill and made it easier…
    flat peddles are easier to get your head round doing this, i use my knees to steer, pratice,pratice,pratice….
    love a good wheelie 😮

watch this guy 😮 its motorbikes but same thing…balance and pratice
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueKPlEQR_gY[/video]

MussEd
    Free Member

I’d say to perfect the effortless ned-wheelie you have to bear certain things in mind : steal a bike{as someone else mentioned}, sit around a scheme{housing state} for hours – practicing the wheelie in between cans or if you can get your hands on it Buckie, spit at an alarming frequency, smoke dope.

Get a cap on your head, and when you’re not wheelieing, smoking, drinking or spitting – and this part is very important – stick both hands down your jogging suit bottoms…

timmys

2unfit2ride – Member
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, say it aint so Tony!
    Last Sunday I had to much mud on the bike & needed to clean it off, I saw a massive puddle & thought I should ride through it to clean the bike, then I thought what if it’s a massive pot hole, so I manualed in to it, it was a lot deeper than I expected, but holding the front wheel up kept me out of trouble, I ended up with wet shoes, but it could of been much worse….

Not sure I see your point.

As you said you did a manual which does have it’s uses “on the trail” versus a wheelie which is a car park trick.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Where can I develop ned level wheelie skills?’ is closed to new replies.