Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Where can i buy ammonia?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

walla – best way I can describe is imagine your seatpost is a banana and you're going to make a banana split, but from the inside. I hack the top off the post (a a few inches up), then use the blade inside the post but along its length. If you're very careful you can do it without putting a slice in your frame, but if you do put a slice in your frame it is pretty much finished, so err on the side of caution!

walla24
    Free Member

crazylegs- who are Argos? not the supermarket chain im guessing?

haze- what acid was that? and how did you go about it?

coffeeking- yep i get that thank you, on the look out for a long/low profile saw!

thank you all for the ideas, keep em coming along with any success stories!

skiprat
    Free Member

Don't bother with the ammonia. I got some from work (our lab) and it was nice and strong. Did nothing to the seatpost, just made my eyes water and took my breath away!!

Only thing is to get the hack saw blade out and take your time cutting the post out. Takes a good while though so get something good on TV and enjoy!!!

Been there, done it. About 3 hours and your done!!

walla24
    Free Member

ok looks like thats what il be doing, where aboutss can i get a hack saw thats that small mind? as it has to actually fit inside the seatpost?

skiprat
    Free Member

I just used a normal sized one. Post was 26.8mm outside dia and a normal one fitted inside that. Just put gaffa tape on one end (stops the teeth digging in your hand) and get cutting. Change blade on a regular basis though to make it easier. Best when they're nice and sharp!!

walla24
    Free Member

ahhhhh…..so use the blade not the handle, got it.
    righty-ho will get on that later.
    cheers

skiprat
    Free Member

Yes, just the blade!!

Good luck!!

Pook
    crazy-legs

crazylegs- who are Argos? not the supermarket chain im guessing?

Argos Racing Cycles
    Custom framebuilders, resprayers, repairers etc. They've done some good work for me in the past.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Where can i buy ammonia?’ is closed to new replies.