Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • When will the wheel standards settle down?
  • cookeaa

As a consumer I can certainly see the appeal of 29″ however I’m already happy enough with 26″ so I’ll not be rushing out to buy into 29″ any time soon…

The current 650b push does strike me a some of the shoddiest marketing bullshit yet though (and there has been a fair bit in recent years TBH) another inbetween standard that does nothong better than either of the other two already popular existing ones?
    Cheers but do **** off bicycle “industry” and get some proper new ideas….

aracer
    Free Member

Clearly you need another clue. IIRC yours is 507.

bencooper
    Free Member

Not fair – I was going to say unicycle but you implied mine was 20″ 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Brands are all trying to stand out and create an imaginary problem using standard marketing methods. They make (and are succeeding judging by many STW comments) people think their current gear is inferior to their new version.

26 inch wheels work perfectly. 29 inch ones may last or may just get voted out by consumers wallets. Either way, whatever. It doesn’t affect me as I know 26 is here to stay.

Paceman
    Free Member

I can’t see three wheel size standards lasting in the long run. I expect 650b will be a flash in the pan only.

rOcKeTdOg

It has settled down here, going into 5th year on 29″

njee20
    Free Member

Gary Fisher Introduced 29ers in 2004 IIRC, and 650B isn’t that much newer, they’ve both just gained popularity lately.

charliedontsurf

Been exclusively 29 for about six years… For me, where I ride, and my size, it’s perfect.

Looking back at all the nay saying, it’s really quite amusing. I think the functionality won over a really significant public perception (hate) hurdle.

But today, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you…. The future…..

charliedontsurf

charliedontsurf

Remarkable stuff..
    The larger gap between 27.5 and 29er is evident when tires are installed. Shown here are, left to right, Michelin Wild Race’r 26×2.1 – Pacenti Neo-Moto 650Bx2.1 – WTB Nano 29×2.1

jameso

Brands are all trying to stand out and create an imaginary problem using standard marketing methods.

Not picking on you dan, just a comment that sums up many rider’s feelings – I think most brands genuinely are trying to make better bikes, it’s simple competition. Some try stuff without understanding, but not many. Norco as matt mentioned – I heard they discussed 650B as a must-do, then realised no-one really knew how they rode. So they rode them. And loved them. So they made them. That’s how it tends to work at good bike companies. The ones that make bikes that ride poorly are probably the trend-jumpers. Sometimes bigger companies need things to get to a certain level of exposure to justify the time, try them and like them, like the garage tinkerers got into 29 or 650b in the first place.
    To me, added tyre volume is a great thing. You can use bigger rims and tyres, but bigger diameter adds more again. The roll-over thing plus volume helps you go faster in more control. If it’s at the expense of handling that’s no good, but that happens less now that most brands understand 29er geometry better (unless you really need to throw the bike around, DJ / 4X etc).
    So on my 26″ bike, 650B could replace 26″ – it’s only a bit bigger so it may be just a ‘slightly improved 26″‘ feel. 29″ is very different and that’s a good thing, lets designers give a bike a different feel or character. So 29″ is a stayer. No one size is ‘best’, but of the 3, I expect one to fade away. The industry doesn’t want the complex message of 3 wheel sizes. Much depends on what happens in DH/slopestyle stuff where the marketing is so important to the big brands. I can’t see a whole field at crankworks on 650B but DH, well maybe. Perhaps it’ll force a rethink of hub widths for wheel stiffness / strength, then we’re onto a whole new standards debate ) Or, 650B will just be too middling for many and we’ll prefer to go to one extreme or the other.

Charlie, that % angle of attack diagram is good huh. The difference is so samll in numbers that you’d almost dismiss it vs all the other gains like weight. Yet on the bike it’s a very noticeable difference. Makes me wonder how much is larger wheel momentum and added volume (squish effect) added to the angle-of-attack thing. I’m not as into the physics as riding by feel so I buy into the big wheels in many areas because they do roll well.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The wheel size debate will settle down when the marketing asshats decide on yet another new “standard” to pursue.

/cynic

Wookster

Interesting pics Charlie. Im hoping to get some test rides in, as TBH I more tempted by the 29er, to have somthing different to ride in the garage, not better just different.

cookeaa

I have to say that angle of incidence diagram just makes me wonder even more why all the fuss over 650b at the minute?

surely the fools that buy into it will end up either wishing they’d bought a marginally better rolling 29er or a marginally better handling 26er and their middle for diddle tyres are bound to end up costing them more than the other two otions for no real advantage….

Nah newer ain’t always better.

Paceman
    Free Member

Great post Jameso

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘When will the wheel standards settle down?’ is closed to new replies.