Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 417 total)
  • When wars were colder, planes were cooler!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BE12 anyone?

And, how about an AN22. Now this one had a great NATO callsign….”Flashy to Tower, I’ve just seen a huge, great big….”

aracer
    Free Member

Have we had a U2 yet?

Yes 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry, back to my fave plane…

10 SR71’s all lined up together!!! 😯

JulianA
    Free Member

Some strange German designs (WWII not Cold War):

http://www.century-of-flight.net/new%20site/frames/horten%20frame.htm

Some later American aircraft:

http://uk.geocities.com/osaka2015/US-XLB.htm

redthunder
    Free Member

taken Monday… He seemed to be following us around.

NO to…Cheeky Trails 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

**** the rules… It’s a Spitfire.

JulianA
    Free Member

My whole ride seemed to be buzzed by a chopper the other day: what’s going on here? [paranoia mode!]Mountain bikers the next target for surveillance?[/paranoia mode!]

JulianA
    Free Member

Well if the ‘Cold War’ rules are waived:

Old Flying Machine Company
    The Fighter Collection

Some later jet stuff happening with these guys now, I think.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oi, WW2 folk, get yer own thread! 😉

Mr_C
    Free Member

Earlier, somebody mentioned the aeroplane graveyard in Arizona.

Can see it on Google maps here.

Loving this thread, thanks CFH for starting it.

Edit: the link doesn’t quite take you to exact spot – zoom out and look around.

redthunder
    Free Member

Oi, WW2 folk, get yer own thread! [:wink:]

done 🙂

JulianA
    Free Member

Sorry, CFH.

This place work for you?

Jet Heritage…

Photos…

crazy-legs

What a great thread! 🙂
    I’m going to resurrect the Thunderchief (last seen on about page 5)

There’s a great scene in the film Thirteen Days (about the Cuban Missile Crisis) of a low-level recon ‘raid’ over Cuba in these. Almost all special effects obviously but still thrilling stuff.

mboy
    Free Member

Nothing like a cold war to bring a bit of healthy rivalry in other directions too. Such as who can build the first double supersonic passenger plane!

I give you the Tupolev TU-144

Nicknamed “Concordski” it actually flew for the first time 2 months before Concorde ever did. Only remained in active service for 3 years though. Maybe the Russians actually found no need for it (where were they trying to fly their passengers to? They were at war with everyone!) at the time when Concorde was flying people all over the world.

MtbCol
    Free Member

I don’t believe we’ve had either of these ladies yet…

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

have to say the cold war was an amazing time for aircraft design, and they were coming out all the time instead of every coupl of years or decades like now!

red thunder, where were you when you got that pic of the Apache, i was riding between Machynlleth and Nant yr Arian a few saturdays ago and there was a lone one flying around out there for an hour or so, thought it was quite unusual. still an awe inspiring machine!

Harry_the_Spider

Bringing out my inner nerd.

The Leduc Ramjet

The Convair FXY-1 Pogo

JulianA
    Free Member

Thanks Mr_C – found them. Any idea how to link to Google Earth for this?

matt_outandabout

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/2040737743_e8b0175b49.jpg[/img]

EE Lightning F6 XS898 after extensive repairs by T6 ASF RAF Binbrook. The pilot pulled 10g after getting disorientated on a night radar contact exercise. After blacking out he came round to find the Mach meter off the end of the scale – in a climb!

Oops

JulianA
    Free Member

That last picture from matt_outandabout is amazing. Seem to recall an equally amazing punch out at Farnborough when the explosion from the aircraft inflated his ‘chute…

MtbCol
    Free Member

Those dumb Americans should’ve chosen this over the boring to look at F-22

And for low level ejections this one is a classic

Swiftacular
    Free Member

If i recall(not that i was there), “Concordski” suffered a major crash at an airshow (Paris 1970, maybe)??, something along the lines of tried a loop-de-loop, or barrel roll, and broke into many pieces. Finished models never carried passengers because of this, and relegated to mail duties, and withdrawn not long after. Or i could have dreamt all that. Anyone corroborate this?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

How about the ugliest.

The AEW Nimrod

The Weather Herc, (Snoopy)

Bunnyhop

Such happy memories of climbing up into Lyme park and watching the vulcans and nimrods out on the apron at Woodford below us.
    Also remember the day one of those anolov transporters brought in the trams to Manchester from Italy, massive noisy thing.

Also the time my sister and I were asked out by 2 flight lieutenants, a navigator and pilot (of tornados) to the Jersey aero club, where we were introduced to the red arrows formation team. What a fantastic night. Those boys know how to party.

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

Snoopy was quite a plane, i remember seeing it fly over Fairford years ago, no longer i operation i believe, last i heard it was being converted back to a standard Hercules, somebody must have had a job on their hands!

matt_outandabout

I think one of my worst memories is the mid air collision in 1988 near Milburn – we were in the garden in the evening, and two of them went straight over our neighbours roof low (only red roof for miles and reputedly regularly used to line up on Warcop ranges).
    Seconds later there was an enormous noise, and one of the Tornadoes was going straight up on full afterburn. We just thought it was the ‘normal’ dogfighting.
    At first emergency services did not know what had happened – until they found an engine on the village green at Milburn and some scattered body parts.
    This was one of the planes involved:

🙁

Jimbo
    Free Member

The Tu-144 needed full reheat to hit Mach 2.0, thus range was limited. Concorde could cruise at Mach 2.x without reheat (supercruise!) 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Such happy memories of climbing up into Lyme park and watching the vulcans and nimrods out on the apron at Woodford below us.

Hey Bunnytop you must have grown up round there the same time as me! We used to go and lie on the end of the runway at Woodford as the Vulcans came into land.

And I used to ride up in Lyme Park, up to the cage and bow stones gate as a kid.

CountZero

mboy mentioned the Tu-144 and wondered why it didn’t enter service. That’s because a spectacular crash at the Paris Airshow rather took the shine off the USSR’s whizzy new toy, and I believe another accident internally relegated the Tu-144 to mail duties within the USSR for the rest of it’s life. A few have also mentioned some of the American Century Series, like the F-104 Starfighter. They were some of the most God-awful aircraft the Yanks ever came up with, although the 104 is a spectacular plane, and one of my all-time favourites. It could never be called a fighter, it’s an intercepter like the Lightning, and I love the concept: get a chuffing great engine, stick on the smallest wings you possibly can and still get the thing into the air, persuade some testosterone-fuelled jock to sit at the pointy-end, light blue touch-paper and stand well back. As the Germans found out, maintenance is everything, as the popular joke of the time said: ‘how do you aquire a Starfighter? Buy a hectare of land.
    …and wait’.

devs
    Free Member

Wow, what a lot of combat wombats, cabbages and NATO potatoes we’ve got on here. I’ve seen, touched, been in, worked on and flewn in a few of the jets mentioned here and I have only one thing to say. A six ship beat up of gib by buccs is the most impressive thing ever ever ever! FACT. Especially when a taxying C130 got in the way of the wing man on the return leg and he had to fly around it. Bring back the cold war I say but that’s a political argument for another day. I believe that concorde could at one point have been converted to a bomber, it’s chassis had the capability to fit bomb doors. Oh and Druidh you must be a sad person for camping at Lossie, or a psace cadet! Good thread, brought back memories. Well done CFH.

MtbCol
    Free Member

Lol Space Cadet! I haven’t heard that insult in a very long time! 😆

mboy
    Free Member

mboy mentioned the Tu-144 and wondered why it didn’t enter service. That’s because a spectacular crash at the Paris Airshow rather took the shine off the USSR’s whizzy new toy, and I believe another accident internally relegated the Tu-144 to mail duties within the USSR for the rest of it’s life.

Cheers CountZero. I had wondered if it was only built in the first place as a bit of “one-upmanship” against the allied forces. Quite ironic that showing the thing off, in the birthplace of the Concorde, that the TU-144 failed so spectacularly then. That must’ve been such an embarrassment for the commies!

On the subject of propaganda, it seems the Russians for all their technological advances, managed to hype all their planes up far more than they actually made them reliable and successful! I mean, the MiG 25 Foxbat was claimed as capable of Mach 3.2 and altitudes over 80,000ft (ie. the Rusky’s were claiming the Yanks should worry about their SR71’s as now there was a plane capable of shooting one down). But the reality was that whilst in “theory” it had enough thrust to hit Mach 3.2, the engines would fail for some reason above Mach 2.8, and pilots were ordered not to exceed Mach 2.5 in order to preserve the possibility of the engines staying intact.

Weird really, but as a Brit I’m used to American bravado etc. But it seems when it comes to American war planes, they have always erred on the cautious side when claiming their planes performance (maybe they were trying to lull the Russians into a false sense of security?) by comparison to the Russians. Blackbird setting 4 new world records on its retirement run being a case in point!

Oh, and what devs says about Concorde stands to reason. I always thought that Concorde looked like it had been designed with the ability to be adapted for military application. Supersonic passenger travel was only ever the preserve of the uber rich, and now it’s no longer even an option. The fact that the American B1-B Bomber looks very much like a shrunk down, militarised version of Concorde really makes me think that should bombs have been needed to be transported long range quickly back in the 70’s, Concorde would have been quickly adapted.

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry, forum go slow = double post!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone linked this to Pprune and the like yet?

My thanks to those who have thanked me for starting this, but to be honest I justy thought of a couple of planes that meant a lot to me from my youth (especially the JP and the Tin
    Triangle). This has become so much more than I could ever have imagined, it really is marvellous.

To all of you reading, please raise a glass to all those who flew these things in what was a real, if cold, war.

(Still amazed at what this thread has become!)

Burchy1
    Free Member

lethal_frizzle – Member
    Snoopy was quite a plane, i remember seeing it fly over Fairford years ago, no longer i operation i believe, last i heard it was being converted back to a standard Hercules, somebody must have had a job on their hands!

The ‘nose’ from Snoopy is on display in our cafe at work…

SST
    Free Member

OK here’s my English Electric Lightning story (well my dad’s anyway!)

When he was in the Royal Air Force my dad was based at St Mawgan near Newquay. This was in the mid to late 50’s. Anyway late one afternoon they got a call to say that one of the new “Lightnings” was coming in with an electrical fault. The plane came in and dad, who was radio/radar, was one of the people who looked at the fault. It couldn’t be repaired without spares and the plane couldn’t be flown with the fault, so a part so sent up from somewhere (Farnborough maybe?) overnight and the pilot was put up in barracks. Gaurds were posted around the plane, it being new and secret, and stayed there all night. Next morning first thing, when the part arrived, the plane was fixed.

The pilot, who dad says was about 19(!) came out and signed for the plane. As he was getting in he thanked the guys for looking after it, and for fixing it etc.

One of the guys asked this pilot if he could “do a bit of a display” when he left?

Now the pilot, who had clearly gone to public school, answered that the plane was very new, very expensive and “not a bloody toy” . . . then climbed into the jet. It was also a bit of an overcast day with low cloud.

Anyway, engines were started, the plane taxied very noisily to the end of the runway whilst dad and the guys walked to the edge of the runway to watch the take off. The plane rolled along the runway, picked up speed and took off just as it got to where dad was standing. He said the noise was just unbelievable. The plane climbed steeply and disappeared through the low clouds. That was that, dad and his mates walked back across the grass towards the tower. About a minute later the Lightning flew over their heads, sneaking up behind them, at about 50ft and “very very fast”. Dad and his mates hit the deck – almost cacking themselves, while the plane climbed and did a victory roll before disapearing into the clouds once again.

I don’t know how many times I heard that story at bedtime when I was little! 🙂

Russell96

Only found about the Boeing Bird of Prey the other day, it flew 40 times in the ’90’s and it has to be one of the most sci/fi looking cold war era aircraft ever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Bird_of_Prey

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Thanks CountZero, i knew i had that story down (Tu144), and from your post, my earlier one was almost spot on. Just sounded a little far-fetched when i read it back after writing it.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Amusing SR-71 story:

” There were a lot of things we couldn’t do in an SR-71 Blackbird (The Air Force/NASA super fast, highest flying reconnaissance jet, nicknamed, “The Sled”), but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact. People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane – intense, maybe, even cerebral. But there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

It occurred when Walt and I were flying our final training sortie. We needed 100 hours in the jet to complete our training and attain Mission Ready status. Somewhere over Colorado we had passed the century mark. We had made the turn in Arizona and the jet was performing flawlessly. My gauges were wired in the front seat and we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves, not only because we would soon be flying real missions but because we had gained a great deal of confidence in the plane in the past ten months. Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet. I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat.

There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn’t match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury. Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him.

The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace. We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot who asked Center for a read-out of his ground speed. Center replied: “November Charlie 175, I’m showing you at ninety knots on the ground.”

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the “Houston Center voice.” I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country’s space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that and that they basically did. And it didn’t matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios. Just moments after the Cessna’s inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his ground speed in Beech. “I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.”

Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren. Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios. “Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check.” Before Center could reply, I’m thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a read-out? Then I got it, ol’ Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He’s the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet. And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion: “Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.”

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done – in mere seconds we’ll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now. I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn. Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet. Then, I heard it – the click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice: “Ah, Center, much thanks, we’re showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.” For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A. came back with, “Roger that Aspen. Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one.”

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day’s work. We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast. For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.”

Filthy
    Free Member

Just flicked through this thread and didn’t spot one of these. One of my favourite airfix kits when I was a kid.

Also available in red…

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘When wars were colder, planes were cooler!’ is closed to new replies.