Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • When to start riding again after a bout of man-flu
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Missing my riding big time, but caught a nasty cold. So had the back end of last week and the weekend off the bike. Usually it can take me up to 10 days to absolutely totally get rid of the symptoms, and live a completely snot free existence, obviously I dont want to wait that long as its doing me head in, but when is it ok to get back on the bike ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

don't stop riding

hughjengin
    Free Member

MTFU, I suppose thats an option 😀

alpin
    Free Member

mtfu

hughjengin
    Free Member

Mind you, if I had MTFU'd then I doubt my Mrs would have cooked my favourite dinner for me on Saturday night bought a damn fine red and mothered me to cheer me up. Sometimes it pays to MTFD 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that's a sad story 🙁

theotherjonv

as long as it's neck and up, you should be OK.

If it's below the neck, stay indoors and keep being mothered.

<I am not a doctor>

Smudger666

Ditto – symptoms and recovery time – wife is a nurse and advised 2 weeks with a virus.

and as mentioned before, especially if the symptoms are below the neck as well.

<i too am not a doctor>

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

MTFU Pu55y!

yunki
    Free Member

I've never let a bit of man flu get in the way of anything.. but this bout has gone to my chest.. 3 weeks of antibiotics.. a voice like barry white.. x-rays later today.. the doc is worried.. I'm deffo taking it easy on the riding front..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

antibiotics

I think that's probably more than the sniffles of the OP.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If it's below the neck, stay indoors and keep being mothered.

urban myth ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have a wee spin once you fell Ok bar snot etc, and see how it goes.

"MTFU" is the single most tedious, overused, unfunny, desk-jockey-hero expression on here and I CALL FOR IT TO BE BANNED

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

QBAP. Quit being a pu55y.

binners

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. Get her!!!! 🙂

Why don't we instigate the reply STFU in reply to MTFU references?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's always the same tools that come out with it.

Anyway, FFSGSASB2LA2YOYBJOICRTRYHOASDYT 😡

FFS Grow Some And Stop Acting Like A 2 Year Old Ye Big Jessie Or I'm Coming Round To Rip Your Head Off And S*** Down Your Throat

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

EAD!

And BTY – FFS Grow some and stop acting S? 2? L? A 2 Year Old etc etc.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Wait until you are feeling stronger again. Back in November I got back on the bike too soon after a bad cold. After 2 weeks still couldn't keep up with mates who are not usually as quick as me. One of the mates is a GP who has done triathlons and knows a lot about sports medicine who told me that resuming exercise too quickly had effectively migrated the virus through my whole body. Remedy – no exercise at all for 2 weeks

spacemonkey

If it's just a cold (which TBH, is what most incidences of man-flu are) then get out for a couple of hours or so. I had a cold last week, felt better at the w/e and went out for 3.5hrs yesterday. Felt fine on the bike – bit achey and snotty today though.

If it's more chest infection, etc then give yourself more time.

And if it's proper flu, then don't even go near a bike until you've got your energy back.

hughjengin
    Free Member

And if it's proper flu, then don't even go near a bike until you've got your energy back.

I am a bloke, of course its proper flu ! How could it be anything else 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I tried riding once after a cold, thought I was okay until the first climb, m8's left be for dust, after struggling up on the granny ring, I gave up & went home a week later I was out and staying up front with them and out for a 5hr epic…so get out and ride you will soon see if your over the worst.

singletrackmind

Tried it on sunday. Came down with the synptons on Thursay, really bad sore throat for 24 hours, closely followed by a streaming nose and muscle ache on friday, saturday sneezing/ snot /kidney pain so bad i couldn't breathe in without yelping. Running a high temperature, closely followed by the shivers I climbed into be and stayed there till monday afternoon. Kidney pain and muscles still painfull tues I struggle in to work, and pass virus onto colleague. Worked Tuesday – Friday, back on bike Sunday , started OK but after 20 mins knew i was going backwards , and stayed there. No whizz no power , sweating away without going anywhere fast.
    I would wait until your clear of symptons before attempting anything more than a local spin.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘When to start riding again after a bout of man-flu’ is closed to new replies.