Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • When bands go bad
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhh, and Greenday, although some of the more recent stuff (well, recent when they went downhill 10 years ago) has aged well.

isto
    Free Member

Disagree with Arcade Fire but most of the other ones I would agree with. Very disappointed with the new Gorillaz album…sounds like low-end American drivel.

I would also like to add Biffy Clyro.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The one about being the poor underdog with actual material

Massive Bouncy Pagga

The one about coke and hookers

Betwixt Crimp and Splash

The difficult third album

Scrotal Fizz

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s difficult to look past Muse’s descent from interesting to dad rock as the prime example of this.

johndoh
    Free Member

Muse?

Surely that didn’t go bad, they were just, well, bad.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d turn this around – there are very few bands/artists that produce albums/material of a consistent high quality for year after year. Most have a great debut (that was the result of many years of songwriting and self editing) then struggle to match it.

Arcade Fire’s debut remains one of my favourite albums (as does Stone Roses, and even though I’m loath to admit it, the first Oasis album was really good). There are a couple of good track on the last few AF albums but that’s about it).

Primal Scream have had a few high points (9 years after Screamadelica, XTRMTR was awesome and very different)

Watched the Beatles “Eight Days a Week” a few days back and you realise the quality of stuff they knocked out year after year with the style changing radically from Revolver onwards.

Gorillaz is really Damon Albarn – I think he has produced consistently interesting work ever since Blur’s Think Tank. Some albums have been patchier than others but so much good stuff in there (The Good The Bad & The Queen was a standout from beginning to end) .

johndoh
    Free Member

The Good The Bad & The Queen was a standout from beginning to end

Agreed – great piece of work – History Song and Bunting Song being particularly wonderful.

CountZero

I agree with a lot of the bands mentioned above diverging from what I like to listen to, but surely a lot of this has to do with how we develop our listening tastes and what direction the band takes?

A lot of truth in that, but also many bands just get comfortable and lose the spark that drove them to create interesting and vital music with that ‘something’ that sets them apart.
    Or just get self-indulgent! Mr Zimmerman, I’m looking at you! Yes certainly went that way, Genesis just became the Phil Collins Band and lost the fantastical storytelling and distinctly English quality that set them apart.
    Some managed to maintain an ability to keep changing without losing the spark of creativity mainly by being a benign dictatorship, like King Crimson, who just kept changing line-ups centred around Robert Fripp – I’ve recently been rediscovering Crimson’s back catalogue and listening to stuff I’d never heard before, and it’s quite extraordinary.
    Some bands never had a chance to become boring and self-indulgent, like Talk Talk and XTC.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Pixies. Make it stop

bikebouy
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Vampire Weekend. Great first album, patchy second and third

andykirk
    Free Member

Metallica – easily the run away winners.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Guns N Roses

Lenny Kravitz

INXS

The Orb

New Order

johndoh
    Free Member

RHCP – their more recent stuff is so dire it actually makes me dislike their earlier (decent) stuff. I haven’t worked out why but I really struggle to listen to them at all now.

funkmasterp

^^ Exactly the same for me too. Used to love them, but now I just here “Her, hey, Dabba, California”
    Some of Fruscante’s solo stuff is good though. Utterly bonkers, but good.

zippykona

The Wolfhounds are THE band if you ask me and their comeback album was their best .
    And then……..[video]https://youtu.be/Z6CUQY_iS9M[/video]
    No only their worst song but one of the worst songs in the entire history of the world.

jamj1974

as does Stone Roses, and even though I’m loath to admit it, the first Oasis album was really good

Agree. Also think the second Stone Roses album has aged pretty well.

Primal Scream have had a few high points (9 years after Screamadelica, XTRMTR was awesome and very different)

Very much so. Vanishing Point was also very good.

Watched the Beatles “Eight Days a Week” a few days back and you realise the quality of stuff they knocked out year after year with the style changing radically from Revolver onwards.

So, so true. Wannabe musos love to hate them just because! 😉

Gorillaz is really Damon Albarn – I think he has produced consistently interesting work ever since Blur’s Think Tank. Some albums have been patchier than others but so much good stuff in there (The Good The Bad & The Queen was a standout from beginning to end) .

Generally, Damon is pretty interesting. There are even a few gems on The Magic Whip.

I can understand people not liking U2 now or even in their Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum period. Achtung Baby and Zooropa however… They are great albums. Thoughtful, a bit whimsical and playful too in places. With some emotional honesty about relationships of several kinds going wrong. They are just a good listen.

Muse. A one album wonder for me. Origin of The Symmetry sounded good at the time but has aged very badly. Food Fighters ok’ish – but never a must listen.

The Rolling Stones. Decline started when Mick and Keith sacked Brian. The cards were on the table and be the end of the early seventies they were fresh out of ideas.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Achtung Baby and Zooropa

Loved those two albums, disliked pretty much everything they did before or after.

Agree. Also think the second Stone Roses album has aged pretty well.

No, no and thrice no. Disappointing at the time and even worse now.

https://sabotagetimes.com/music/the-stone-roses-second-coming-20-years-on says it in more depth than I’m going to. I liked ‘How do you sleep’ but it’s still shit. Listen to John Lennon on the same bitter theme How do you sleep?

(just started reading that review again – it’s gold…
    Pitched somewhere between Crosby, Stills and Nash’s worst, coke-and-guns-in-the-studio-era acoustic sing-alongs and – unbelievably – Greg Lake’s ‘I Believe in Father Christmas’, ‘Your Star Will Shine’ is derivative, charmless and outstays its welcome despite being the shortest song on the album.

Northwind

munrobiker – Member

It’s difficult to look past Muse’s descent from interesting to dad rock as the prime example of this.

The thing that really gets me with Muse is the live show. They used to be sensational live, but as the budget went up, the light in the eyes went out, and now they have drones flying around and great musicianship but they barely even speak. When your drummer is doing the most communication with the audience, something is wrong.

shermer75
    Free Member

Michael Jackson?

jamj1974

No, no and thrice no. Disappointing at the time and even worse now

😉 Takes all sorts! I love Tightrope in particular.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Beatles
    Van Morrison – had misfortune (sic) to be taken to a concert a few years ago

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Tightrope is great on an acoustic when wasted with friends. Well at least I think so

nickc

Seems to be the big stadium rock bands AC-DC, Metallica, and so on, just seem turn into pompous arse holes

jamj1974

howsyourdad1 – Member
    Tightrope is great on an acoustic when wasted with friends. Well at least I think so

Used to sing my 3 year old daughter to sleep with it… It has good memories for me and she still loves it at 12.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t mind Metallica postvthe black album; Load has some cracking songs on it, Reload less so. Even St Anger some aright songs (All Within My Hands, Unnamed Feeling, Sweet Amber) but it does have some turkeys too. Death Magnetic and Hardwired are good.

GNR were pretty poor after Appetite.

RHCP went downhill after Blood Sugar and then fell off a cliff into the depths of coffee table rock after Califonication. The Foos are going the same way too.

KoRn were brilliant up until Issues and have gone downhill ever since.

Machine Head went through a bad phase but have pulled it back with Blood Stones and Diamonds. Locust and Supercharger were both shite. Really shite.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Used to sing my 3 year old daughter to sleep with it… It has good memories for me and she still loves it at

That is lovely, I might do that for my daughter too!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘When bands go bad’ is closed to new replies.