Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wheel building questions (first of many I bet!) – spoke lengths and type/model?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Building my first set of wheels (!), trying to figure out what spokes & nipples to order. Hubs are Chris King ISO Disc (front is a 20mm hub, rear is 135x12mm), rims are Stans ZTR Flow (ERD = 536mm).

Using the Wheelpro.co.uk calculator, I think I need to order 258mm spokes, would this be right?

Also, what spokes are the ‘best’ for building up a light strong AM/trail type wheelset?

Cheers 🙂

markenduro
    Free Member

Wheelpro calculator is usually quite accurate.
    Spoke wise, I’d probably go for some plain gauge dt swiss for a tough wheelset(i’m fairly heavy).
    Be careful on spoke tension as stans rims can be a bit sensitive to overtightening and crack around the holes.

Keef
    Free Member

double butted are as strong as plain guage.only lighter…….

phaterman
    Free Member

Another useful calculator is here. I bought the wheelpro electronic book and found it very good. At Christmans I built up some new wheels using Hope Pro 2 hubs and some Sun rims and rode them for the first time today – great feeling of satisfaction.

crazy-legs

DT Swiss Revolution or Competition double butted spokes with regular brass nipples. Double butted spokes are actually stronger than plain gauge.

Important thing is just to take your time over building the wheels and enjoy it! Wheelbuilding is quite therapeutic really. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s your first wheel I’d go for dt comps (or sapim/aci equivalents) rather than revs because revs twist quite a lot which can make it fiddly truing up.

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, 258/260 ish is usually right for 26″ mtb wheels

Junkyard
    Free Member

get double butted- as other note stronger and lighter. Ribble cycles are pretty cheap if you are buying full boxes ACI iirc.

RustyMac

From the looks of you other components this may not bother you but the cheepest place i have found for spokes is rose bikes

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/tech/spokes-and-nipples/

£8.90 for 20 dt swiss competition spokes would be my plan giving 4 spare/side incase i messed something up or broke/damaged a spoke somewhere down the line.

Good luck with your wheel build

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wheel building questions (first of many I bet!) – spoke lengths and type/model?’ is closed to new replies.