• This topic has 151 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Religious tolerance
  • Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

Drive through Cheetham Hill on a Saturday, place looks like a Darkman convention.

Post of the day.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

I am still not sure why this is the case.

I never really understood why the Jewish were so reviled. They always seemed quite froody to me, and they have the best dress code. Drive through Cheetham Hill on a Saturday, place looks like a Darkman convention.

When I am out with my Jewish colleague walking on the high street I always play the “spot the female Jew” with him. Yes, I do. Orthodox man is easy to spot because they stand out from the crowd. The weird thing is that he either play dumb or he cannot even spot the female Jew as well as I do. Or ya, he started the game first of “spot the North Korean” by pointing his finger at me because according to him “we” all look the same. So now I play spot the Jew in the crowd. I can bet you I can spot them in the crowd. 😆

stoffel
    Free Member

I never really understood why the Jewish were so reviled either. They always seemed quite froody to me, and they have the best dress code. Drive through Cheetham Hill on a Saturday, place looks like a Darkman convention.

So now I play spot the Jew in the crowd.

I assume you’re referring to the Ultra Orthodox (Hasidic) communitiy. You are aware that they only represent a small minority of Jews in the UK/worldwide, and that most Jews look ‘like anybody else’?

I reccomend watching this. It’s utterly fascinating.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Story-Jews-Simon-Schama/dp/B00BEYWW4I?tag=chrome03-21

yunki
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    This guy may have been a bit anti-social to our pathetically insecure and uptight British pallette
    Being woken up by shouting is never pleasant no matter what country you’re from. It’s nothing ot do with insecurity and being uptight!

LOL.. you’ve illustrated the mentality beautifully there Mol 😆

BillMC

Steven Rose, Prof of biology at the OU (and jewish), claims that it’s a nonsense to see judaism as a race as when tested they have their greatest genetic links with their local population, wherever that might be. From a biological point of view, ‘race’ is a pretty useless concept anyway.
    “All humans have 99.8% of their genes in common. Of the remaining 0.2%, 85% can be found in any ethnic group, and ‘racial’ differences account of only 9% of the 0.2%, which is 0.012% difference in genetic material (Cavalli-Sforza et al. 1994). Quite a bit of this ‘racial’ variation is unrelated to physical appearance. For example, when in many human groups adults lack the enzyme lactase, which is necessary for digesting milk. Following this criterion, North Europeans must be classified together with Arabs and some West African peoples including the Fulani, while South Europeans must be grouped along with most Africans and East Asians. The classification of humanity into races, based on physical appearance, is arbitrary and scientifically uninteresting. The study of race thus belongs to the anthropology of power and ideology, not to the study of cultural variation.”

‘Small Places, Large Issues’ Thomas Hylland Erikson (2001)

stoffel
    Free Member

That’s interesting, BillMc, and also possibly quite contentious with other people who might argue that ‘race’ cannot be simply expressed in terms of genetics, but must also involve culture and history. I find the wholse subject fascinating. I have many Jewish friends who are atheists, and I just can’t get my head around that idea!

chewkw
    Free Member

stoffel – Member
    I reccomend watching this. It’s utterly fascinating.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Story-Jews-Simon-Schama/dp/B00BEYWW4I?tag=chrome03-21

Watched the entire episode of it because I was trying to understand Judaism, Jewish people and their way of life but I was trying to find out why they are hated to be honest. Very interesting programme.

But the real debate is the definition of god that started the conflict between the Egypt Pharaohs and the Jewish people, where the latter got expelled. I think the latter was redefining god into one creator god overtaking that of the Pharaohs.

BillMC – Member
    The study of race thus belongs to the anthropology of power and ideology, not to the study of cultural variation

Nahh … I called my Jewish colleague a bacon loving middle eastern person. Yes, he loves bacon.

Cougar

I assume you’re referring to the Ultra Orthodox (Hasidic) communitiy. You are aware that they only represent a small minority of Jews in the UK/worldwide, and that most Jews look ‘like anybody else’?

I do, but then the joke doesn’t work.

The original (serious) point still stands though; I’m sure there’s some sort of history to it, probably centred around some carpenter from a couple of millennia ago rolled in with a spot of land war or something, but I really don’t understand why the Jewish are “hated” by some. (EDIT: I’ll check out the link, ta.)

Indeed, it’s not something I’ve ever come across as happening. Whether that’s just environmental or not I don’t know (ie, I don’t live in an area with a large Jewish presense as far as I’m aware). Does anti-Semitism actually happen in the UK to any great extent?

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Does anti-Semitism actually happen in the UK to any great extent?

In a multicultural society you get plenty of anti-this or anti-that so the answer is yes.

Put it this way, if people don’t anti-this I am sure they will find something new to anti. It’s the nature of the parasitic oxygen abusers.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The Jewish people are generally hardworking and successful at whatever they choose to do, they are well represented in science, the professions, business and arts. That is where the hatred stems from in my opinion, they are a successful, coherent group and a minority – That makes them an easy target for the jealous, it’s that simple. I also know a number of Atheistic Jews (self described) who maintain their jewish heritage but don’t believe in god, im not sure being jewish has to include religion.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Jewish people are generally hardworking and successful at whatever they choose to do

There’s nothing quite like racial stereotyping eh ?

Assuming that it’s their racial connection and not religious connection which binds them together – like your “Atheistic Jews”.

RustySpanner

I don’t this that this has anything to do with religion.
    It’s about manners.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I don’t this that this has anything to do with religion.
    It’s about manners.

Exactly.

I guess some would argue that it’s ok because his religion is important to him and should be respected. Well balls to that. Playing techno records at crazy levels is important to me but I wouldn’t do it on a plane.*

*unless it was a PARTY PLANE!

yunki
    Free Member

but that’s my point – are we at risk of lording about imposing our nice, polite British manners on people?

**** grass roots imperialistic minded twuntery innit?

DezB
    Free Member

It’s about manners.

Yes, the chap with the camera phone was very polite. I would’ve told him to do one!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not stereotyping the figures are available online. Here is an article from a jewish source for you, more nobel winners, billionaires etc than any other group statistically speaking.
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3592566,00.html

However if ill justified accusations of racism are your thing Ernie let me know how that works out for you.

natrix
    Free Member

The Jewish people are generally hardworking and successful at whatever they choose to do

They’re not very nice to Palestinians though are they????

Northwind

joolsburger – Member

Especially killing the son of god, they have a 100% record, no other religion can match that.

konabunny
    Free Member

Oh G*d, here we go…

This is a bunch of old cobblers. Jewish people are just as hardworking, lazy, successful and feckless as the rest of us.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Especially killing the son of god, they have a 100% record, no other religion can match that.

Exept of course, they didn’t….

Cougar

I’m far from an expert in matters ecumenical, but assuming for the sake of discourse that we’re to believe what we’re told in Abraham’s Fables, wasn’t it the Romans who did for old Jeezy? Nailed him to a plank and told him to stop being nice to people?

konabunny
    Free Member

I believe the traditional antisemitic account is that Pontius Pilate wanted to release Jesus and execute Bawabas the murdered, but the Jewish heidyins wanted the Christ killed. Pilate washed his hands to signal he didn’t agwee with the decision and the crowd cried out “25 And all the people answered and said, “His blood be on us and on our children.” See Matthew 27.

stoffel
    Free Member

Pilate washed his hands to signal he didn’t agwee with the decision

But was Woger weleased?

joolsburger
    Free Member

This is a bunch of old cobblers.

Yes that’s right, except it isn’t.

konabunny
    Free Member

Well, when you put it like that, I’m convinced!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

joolsburger your own link completely contradicts the claim you make :

“While some people think that Jewish success has to do with genetics, and others surmise that it is related to our intense persecution, it is my contention that Jewish success has to do with Judaism itself. Inherent within Jewish religious teachings and Torah stories are ideas that relate directly to behaviors and attitudes that lead directly to successful outcomes”

So according to your link it has nothing to do with genetics/race and everything to do with Judaism/religion.

I would go along with that, ie, that religion provides Jews with a set of values and certain coherence which is conducive to “success”, and that it’s nothing to do with the Jewish race. Which is why I said in my post : “Assuming that it’s their racial connection and not religious connection which binds them together” (in your example of Atheistic Jews)

So how does this fit in with the “Atheistic Jews” that you know ?

You see you made the somewhat dangerous leap of assuming that what is in essence cultural success as in fact racial success.

Of course you won’t be the first person to confuse cultural success with a racial characteristic of all Jews. It doesn’t make it right though. Or any less pernicious.

stoffel
    Free Member

I do, but then the joke doesn’t work.

There was a joke? Forgive me; I obviously missed it.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Laptop open
    Link below
    Stand next to praying idiot and get somene to film it
    Shout BINGO at the end
    Expect to never fly with that airline again
    Linky

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

I’m far from an expert in matters ecumenical, but assuming for the sake of discourse that we’re to believe what we’re told in Abraham’s Fables, wasn’t it the Romans who did for old Jeezy

It is, as they say, gospel.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I don’t think jews are a race, I think I referred to them as a people albeit a very coherent group of people, hard to define a race though so I’ll concede that. In my mind being part of a race is something a person has no control over and therefore it’s not to be argued against or indeed for, it’s just something that “is” we should be blind to it, it shouldn’t mean anything – Not by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character, as the man said. That’s why racism is intolerable, same as homophobia or any other prejudice.
    Religion is a political and scientific standpoint as it is a conscious choice that informs a persons view of what the world is and their conduct within it, therefore it’s fair game for criticism or critique.

The atheistic jews I know are similar to my atheistic christianity I suppose. We were brought up with certain values, stories culture etc but don’t believe in a deity which is all atheism means after all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well that’s a first for me – I’ve never heard of Atheistic Christians before 🙂

Or even non-religious Christians, when I think about it.

Cougar

There was a joke? Forgive me; I obviously missed it.

I get that a lot. Don’t worry, there will be another one along presently; I favour quantity over quality. Something for everyone.

Or even non-religious Christians.

Isn’t that essentially “most of them,” in the UK at any rate?

Cougar

We were brought up with certain values, stories culture etc but don’t believe in a deity which is all atheism means after all.

The fallacy there is that these are “Christian values”; they’re simply “values,” a given religion doesn’t have the monopoly on that (much as they’d like to).

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s a thing Ernie, there’s millions of them. You know love thy neighbour, the good samaritan etc etc just not the whole 6 days creation, son of god thing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Or even non-religious Christians.

Isn’t that essentially “most of them,” in the UK at any rate?

Have you heard of the term non-religious Christians ? I haven’t. I’ve heard of non-religious Jews though, and Jewish secularism. And even non practicing Christians. What’s non-religious Christians then, how do they differ from other people ?

The fallacy there is that these are “Christian values”; they’re simply “values,”

The set of values which are predominate in our society originate, predominately, from Christianity. They aren’t unique to Christianity but they do differ from some other sets of values. Not completely obviously.

Edukator
    Free Member

Historically, in every country I’ve lived in religion did have have a monopoly on values at some point in history. If you look at the British legal system you’ll find the head of state who signs off laws is also the head of the Church. A law is not a law till the Queen signs and she can still veto anything she feels like – but doesn’t, probably because she realises that would be the beginning of the end of the constitutional monarchy.

The Queen and the church.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Religion/Christianity has no more influence over the set of values that people in the UK live under than say France which is a republic.

But religion has certainly very much influenced our values in terms of reciprocal justice, monogamy, racism, murder, war, equality, etc.

We might not live by our own set of values but they are shaped by religion, ie, people’s attitude towards reciprocal justice, monogamy, racism, murder, war, equality, etc. vary dependent on the prevailing religious perspective. And which of course varies historically.

Cougar

Have you heard of the term non-religious Christians

You’ve not heard of the term? C’mon Ernie, you’re better than that. I can’t have this argument, I’m anti-semantic.

Plenty of people would call themselves Christians when asked, how many of them actually believe in a god do you reckon? If the answer isn’t 100% then what you’ve got there is non-religious Christians.

The set of values which are predominate in our society originate, predominately, from Christianity.

Perhaps. But we’ve thrown away as many as we’ve kept, and there’s plenty of other factions that’ve marauded through this damp isle over the years. Moreover, we’re (largely) enlightened enough these days to know right from wrong and revise those values as we go. Same-sex marriage is a handy recent example.

Christianity might well have dragged us out of the moral dark ages, but it seems somewhat presumptuous to be still claiming the credit for it a couple of thousand years later. I can’t even remember the last time I went to a decent stoning.

Edukator
    Free Member

France fulfills the conditions of a secular, humanist state, the UK does not. That influences values enormously in my experience. School is one place where values are transmitted. Attend a state school in France and religion will only be an academic subject which covers all religions. In the UK you may be subjected to whatever religious propaganda the school the decides. There is compulsory worship in many state funded UK schools. There is no compulsory worship even in private catholic schools in France.

Compulsory reading 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If the answer isn’t 100% then what you’ve got there is non-religious Christians.

No what you’ve got there is people claiming to be something which they are not. If I said I wasn’t a racist but “didn’t like darkies” I would definitely be a racist whatever I claimed to be.

As I say, I’ve heard of non-practicing Christians but not non-religious Christians.

The reason you can have non-religious Jews is that someone can we classed as a Jew from their genetics/race. There’s no such thing as a Christian race. Whatever some people might want to claim.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Religious tolerance’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM