Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What's your favourite lakes trail?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Spill the beans on your favourite trail in the lake district, and why?

Include some pics to, er… stoke it up.

TomB

One of many: Esk hause to seathwaite via sprinkling and styhead tarns. Proper mountain ambiance, lovely riding. Will now fail to get photos up……..

TomB

How do we do Flickr pics again?

TomB

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SoKtWy]IMG_0951[/url] by Tom Blakely, on Flickr

Got it! Great end from just below Esk Hause shelter

TomB

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SV3fhm]IMG_0948[/url] by Tom Blakely, on Flickr
    Styhead Tarn, Gables beyond, in January!

justinbieber

All the cheeky ones. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Grisedale Tarn to Glenridding.

bren2709

Head up to Grisedale tarn then up Dollywagon and onto Helvellyn. Then over to Raise then down Sticks pass to Glenridding.

fergal
    Free Member

just the legal ones for starters, these are both excellent on a bicycle.

Nan Bield gets better every time like a fine wine, Helvellyn via Sticks is noteworthy.

PS. i don’t think i have a favourite, the riding is so varied an excellent, my next ride will be my favourite and probably the best circuit in the Lakes.

richwak
    Free Member

Ullock pike from top of Skiddaw, cheeky but just slow down if there are any walkers.

colournoise

Obvious one perhaps, but the trail between Watendlath and Rosthwaite. A favourite because it’s got a bit of everything in one trail – great views, flat out blasts, tech rocky bits, switchbacks, etc.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NrMwXE]2016 10 15 bike 17[/url] by Rob P, on Flickr

ton

i like proper old style mountain riding. on a summers day after a dry spell, High street and Ullswater shore is perfect and i love it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mitredale stonestar Blacksail three witches bowderdale lickle valley ALL OF THEM

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

4 passes on a nice mild spring day. Roll on April……

takisawa2

Nit ridden the lakes before, a mate has organised a 27 mile route around Grizedale, Coniston etc. Looking forward to it. Fair bit of climbing by the looks of it.
    Not sure on bike choice, Five or the Niner HT.

lowey

Hmmmm…. so spoilt for choice…. how do you decide….

Hole Rake either way, but i think into Coppermines just edges it. Wonderful scenery, relativly quiet, superb singletrack ending in steep tech.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/SKRzbA]DSC_0185[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Crowberry Haws path finishing at the Sun in Coniston. I just LOVE this path. its always a perfect end to the day. Not steep and not massive tech, but just never fails to make me grin like a lunatic.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nM6BK9]20140620_164027[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Alcock Tarn to Dove Cottage.
    no pics – to busy enjoying.

Honourable mention for Rigg Beck. No need for an explanation why.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/89z4Pb]IMAG0434[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

I could never pick just one in the lakes.

alexpalacefan

New to the area.

Bookmarked!

APF

carlos
    Free Member

Far to many to choose just one.

Love it up there, the views, trails and mixture of riding is amazing.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Way to go to distract me from work Mike.

Ullock Pike is probably favourite. And Sticks Pass to Glencoyne. And Ullswater. I rarely make it to the south lakes, but I’ve got many happy memories of Parkamoor.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Oh, surprisingly, The Old Coach Road, for a mixture of real “out there” remoteness and a feeling of smug superiority over the traffic on the A66. And the fact it was “The best day of my life, Dad” a couple of years ago

senorj

Nothing remotely tech. or rad. – but I love going up ‘Dash Falls and then Skiddaw House comes into view….. 🙂

Northwind

Haven’t done that many but my absolute favourite, isn’t a pass or a grand day out, it’s just a tiny wee bit on Grassgarth, near Ings- it’s part of one of the classic Garburn loops. And it’s just a smashed up, washed out, pretty overgrown bridleway, between the road and Hugill Hall… maybe half a mile long tops, but it’s bloomin awesome- endless last-minute decisions, leaps of faith, terrible line choices, near misses, scrabbly gravel, big rocks, I enjoyed it as a climb then laughed my ass off doing it as a descent. There was more in that tiny stretch than in the next hour of riding.

anagallis_arvensis

“The best day of my life, Dad”

8)

I ised to live at the Blencathra centre for a while. The ride along Blese fell, Lonsdale Fell and down Latrig will forever bring happy memories!!
    Hoping to take my boy who is 6 for a bikepacking trip to Skiddaw house this summer if I can avoid being in plaster again!!

neilthewheel

Hard to be Skiddaw House back to Keswick. All sorts of fun.

gkeeffe

Northwind… did that bridleway the other week – absolutely insane half mile!

Love the Fox myself – or the Three Sisters in Grizedale….

chakaping
    Free Member

Three Sisters in Grizedale….

Like an old friend, always good to see it.

Like Castle Crag, excellent fun for racing your mates (responsibly of course).

tomvet

The Old Corpse road descent down to Haweswater, a few tech sections and some flat out sections was great fun, the carry up to the top of Nan Bield not so much. I think i would have enjoyed Nan Bield more but arrived at it very tired with 30 hard miles in my legs already.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Old Corpse road descent down to Haweswater

ooh yes!

tomaso
    Free Member

Ullswater shore on a summer’s evening in June. A rare picture ofPostie Rich without a niche bicycle.

The drop down to Silver Bay

The list is long with so many to choose from. For easy access and guaranteed fun Nan Bield and Ill Bell.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I haven’t been out as much as I should since moving to the Lakes – life… kinda gets in the way sometimes. However one of my old favourites is Iron Keld – just memories of riding with my mate before he left for Australia.

It’s part of the problem with living here now I think, I used to ride a lot with said mate in the Lakes, now I go out solo and miss the banter… kinda puts a damper on things and makes me less inclined.

Perhaps it is time to ride some new trails. Or move back to Scotland 😉

richardkennerley

I try to ride the as often as possible, but I’ve not done the variety of tasks of really like to yet.

Favourite descent so far is probably Sticks, there’s the sense of achievement of getting up a mountain followed by a good varied descent that isn’t too technical plus great views

Can’t get image to work

richardkennerley

Cracked it!! That’s Garburn. Probably my most ridden Lakes descent. The Garburn Kentmere loop is a bit like a visit to a trail centre for me, easy to get to, easy to navigate, facilities at the mill yard, and finishing with three rivers descent is always great

Sticks. Even if you think it’s too easy/common, with views like that is still worth it!!

bigfoot
    Free Member

Northwind… did that bridleway the other week – absolutely insane half mile!

not as insane as it was after the storms the previous winter, some of the really washed out bits have been filled last year sometime. luckily its not been over done so still good.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite lakes trail?’ is closed to new replies.