Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What's this old GT frame?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Crap or anything special? No model name on it. From local tip, 7005 ally 20″ frame, had 90’s XT kit on it and weighs 2kg as pictured with headset and BB, not seen rear stays brace like this before. Any ideas what model? ta

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Zaskar LE I think.

Always wanted one back in the day….

cookeaa

More likely an avalanche.

legend
    Free Member

iirc all Avalanches we painted though?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Not a Zaskar, Zaskars have a flat cap on the top tube. Its a Taiwan made GT which could have been a number of models. Avalanche, Ricochet, Backwoods. All the same frame.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Not all Avalanches were painted.

jonk

7005 sticker indicates its a taiwan made GT so Backwoods, Avalanche or Pantera from around 1996 – 97

carlosg
    Free Member

GT ‘Arrowhead’ I reckon , if it were a Zaskar the plate at the end of the top tube would be flat not curved. IIRC Zaskars were 6061 aluminium too.

ads678

My 2003 Avalanche didn’t have a seat stay brace like that.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I had a 98 GT Pantera, the rear stays were identical to that.

redstripe
    Free Member

just got me wondering ‘cos of the higher end kit on it

jaylittle
    Free Member

My Pantera had STX-RC running gear and brakes along with Kore finishing kit.

chestrockwell
    superstu
    Free Member

Definitely a 1997 Avalanche my brother had one the same. Lovely bike! If you don’t want it let me know!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Certainly looks like my old Avalanche from early 90’s. My first ‘proper’ mtb. Brace looks more Zasker like and the decal looks abit pre 96 to me. Great bike till it got nicked.

chestrockwell

Decals look like a 1997, check out the link I posted.

redstripe
    Free Member

thanks for link chestrockwell – Avalanche LE it is going on the graphics and some of the kit that was on it too like XT, Kore bars stem & Judy forks. Solved…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Definitely a 97. Or the decals are anyway…

jimbobo
    Free Member

my 1996 GT tempest was the same frame, only with Alivio groupset. It was painted kind of metallic sludge green. I seem to remember, the 7005 frames were all the same, with different grossest, the tempest being the lower end.

twonks

If you have enough spare kit to build it and it is the correct size, some of the old GTs still ride very well.

I have a 96 Zaskar built as a hack / commuter type and my original 95 Pantera frame hanging in the garage.

Might swap the frames over as the Pantera has memories where as the Zaskar was bought recently (and is too big… doh)

robgclarkson
    Free Member

1997 Avalanche.

ooo i still have the rigid timberline from that catalogue.. it looks a bit different now.

only the frame, derailleurs, shifters, seat post and brake levers remain:

kayla1
    Free Member

Ooh, nice find! I had a GT brochure from the early 90s and the Avalanche was ball burnished like the Zaskar I think. This one-

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/103120-2/GT1994.pdf

Oooh… Spin wheels! 24 gears on that Zaskar LE! The future is here!

I know that’s got nothing to do with the original question but, man, Spin wheels! 😀

I had a bum basic Outpost.

dmorts

GT Avalanche/Backwoods 1997, I have a 1997 Backwoods and it looks just like that. Hours of metal polishing await you……

chestrockwell

Autosol will be your friend.

karlsbug
    Free Member

@robgclarkson what length are your forks?

redstripe
    Free Member

First polish with autosol, going to put the original bits on once cleaned, except Judy forks are well knackered so had these True Temper Lite steel rigid ones off an old Diamondback I had for now. Frames got a couple of nicks in it but has come up better than I thought so far, still some tarnishing though

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Cheers kayla1, that’s the Avalanche AL from 94′ that I had. Brings back memories looking at that old brochure, it took me ages to persuade my dad to get me one! Lovely looking bike, and a pretty good spec-even had onza bar ends-proper retro!

Kuco

Nice find. If you plan on keeping it get a decent replacement derailleur hanger as the GT ones on my Zasker LE and LTS snapped just looking at them.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

@karlsburg… I’ll let you know… I can’t quite remember! They’re Kona Project2’s if that’s any help…?

Bez

“ooo i still have the rigid timberline from that catalogue.. it looks a bit different now.

What’s that ute conversion thing you’ve got there? Not seen one of those before.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

It’s an xtracycle freeradical… Google away my good man (or woman!!)

Bez

Ah, I’ve heard of it. Just not seen it. Ta 🙂

karlsbug
    Free Member

Ta

Mugboo

I had Tequesta in black with some sort of acid splatter over the top, ironic really as I bought it to stop me going out raving.. The Zaskar was definitely the bike of my dreams though.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What's this old GT frame?’ is closed to new replies.