Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What's the verdict on press fit BBs nowadays?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Are they cured of their early creaking problems or would you still avoid a bike with press fit like the plague?

warpcow
    Free Member

Depends which version of pressfit I guess. BB92 seems no better or worse than ‘old’ external hollowtech/x-type BBs for me, just more of a pain fitting and removing.

Garry_Lager

Like them tbh – simplicity of just knocking out a bearing and pressing a new one in is great. Longevity is not as good as some older designs, but it’s not been too bad IME.

BB30 is the one with that seems to cause most creaking issues – just two bearings pressed direct into the frame, so seems more sensitive to manufacturing tolerances. Again, I’ve owned a couple that have been fine, but they can apparently creak like a shithouse door if things are slightly awry. Even then you could fit a plastic sleeve and convert it to different sized bearing, which will sort it.

SirHC

Hope PF41 fitted to my Trance (BB92), 1700 miles on the original bearings and no creaks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for a BB92 for SRAM cranks, gimme a shout – I ordered it by mistake as a spare about a year ago, not realising I’d ordered a SRAM specific one (one end is 24mm, other is 22mm), then drop me an email and you can have it for the cost of postage.

It’s a superstar BB btw.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Just in the process of converting mine to hollowtech. This has been my first experience with BB30 and it’s been awful. I’d heard about creaking issues but never expected it to be as bad as it is. Only done about 400 miles on it. My last ultegra one did 5000 without any fuss at all.

wilburt
    Free Member

Long term bb30 here, like it no problems.

lunge

PF92 user here and I’m still not convinced. The original Shimano creaked horrible, the Hope replacement is, so far, fine. Not done mega mileage on it though so at the moment I remain on the fence.

tom.nash

Had a Wheels Manufacturing press fit BB fitted for over a year now; no creaks, well sealed, not changed the bearings and still running well.

The best bit is that it is an aluminium cup so, once PF’d into the frame (I have a carbon frame) there is stays and you just change the cartridge bearing the same as a headset.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

BB92 with a Hope one in it. Been in there for over a year, still fine.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I lamented the old BSA standard when I bought my two most recent bikes, one with PF30 and the other with BB92. What could be easier than simply unscrewing a pair of cups?

My PF30 BB is definitely faulty. It’s SRAM and therefore bobbins, it creaked and groaned from day one however it resolutely refuses to die, even after eighteen months of hosing, mud, rain, stamping on pedals and swearing. It’s outlasted any previous SRAM bottom bracket I’ve owned by a factor of three.

Although my BB92 bike is brand new, it’s also SRAM – this time GXP. Because I have a preference for Shimano cranks and I can’t fit adaptors, I’ve bought the tools to drift out the bearings and to press in replacements.

Job done in fifteen minutes, I really can’t argue with that.

timmys

6 years of BB92 ownership here.

Used to despise them but I think I was caught up in all the hate – every time I heard a creak I’d blame the BB. Ended up swapping a lot, if you stick to a few rules they are fine a) buy reasonable quality (I like Enduro Bearings), b) grease well when inserting and, really importantly, c) don’t overtighten the bearing pre-load on the cranks, less is definitely more.

I haven’t changed mine in about 3 years, certainly not since the Hope BB92 became available as I said to myself I’d get one of those next time but haven’t had to yet.

cokie

BB92 here- I used to hate the idea of pressfit and it put me off purchasing a few bikes. I bit the bullet and got one. It’s be fine! No issues at all. It’s an OEM Sram XX1 BB. The sealing is pretty good. I packed it with grease when first purchased and I recently opened it up to repack it and it was still fine. The correct colour and consistency with no grit or water ingress. Pleasant surprise. My Ht2 BB has had plenty of ingress in the meantime (same riding and mileage).

ahwiles
    Free Member

at best, if you’re lucky, they’re nearly as reliable as a threaded bb, but not as versatile.

jobless
    Free Member

have a BB30 on my crosser. fitted a PraxisWorks from new.
    done 2 seasons of cross racing.
    no creaks.

JackHammer

I’ve got a PF92 Sram GXP for some s1000 cranks, can you just remove the bearings and replace them? Does anyone know the codes?

Mines done 2years of very little maintenance, the odd wash here and there and a few pressures washes. Took the bike back to the frame yesterday and the bearing races are a bit sloppy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Personally, I think the best way forward with press fit is to select one (like the hope) that screws together.

Garry_Lager

I’ve got a PF92 Sram GXP for some s1000 cranks, can you just remove the bearings and replace them? Does anyone know the codes?

You can, just need to be careful with tapping them out that you don’t damage the plastic cup. Pretty sure I have an SRAM gxp 92 in my anthem, did this ok with just with a screwdriver.

Dibbs
    Free Member

FSA 386 BB30 pressfit on my Whyte CX bike 7500 miles without a creak (both chainrings are worn out though). 😕

phy7tes
    Free Member

I’ve got the Hope press fit BB but had issues with grit getting behind the outer seal rings – every few rides I had to take them off and clean them up, otherwise turning the cranks was accompanied by a nasty ‘scuffing’ noise.

The bearings only lasted a few months due to this.

Anybody else had issues like this with the Hope BB?

philwarren11
    Free Member

PF30 turd. Absolute turd.

I would not buy another bike with one on.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

No problems with PF92 carbon frame with 24mm spindle.

More worried about ‘upgrading’ to a bling crank with a 30mm spindle. The thought of press fitting a bearing directly into the carbon, and then trying to remove it on a non-regular basis makes me nervous.

dovebiker

There’s a big difference between BB92 (PF41) and BB30 – with the former, the bearing is located inside a plastic housing which offers some degree of tolerance. I have a CX and MTB with BB86 and BB92 and never had any troubles. BB30 however is a crock – the bearing are pressed directly into the BB shell, so tolerance is critical and if you get any water ingress into the BB shell it kills the bearings pronto. Sometimes Loctiting the bearing helps as does removing the seatpost and hanging the bike upside down after ever wet ride to let the water run out. However, the stupidity of BB30 is the narrow Q-factor – with the trend of wide tyres, fitting a skinny shell means highly manipulated stays and inherently greater flex where you don’t want it.

roverpig

I like the press fit BB standards. It means that there are a whole load of otherwise great looking bikes that I won’t buy. Saves me a fortune 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What's the verdict on press fit BBs nowadays?’ is closed to new replies.