Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What's the southern stretch of the M25 like in the mornings?
  • stumpy01

I’m driving from the Byfleet area tomorrow morning to somewhere or another in Kent, down the M20.

I need to be there by 10am. Does anyone use that stretch of road (M25/M20) regularly and can you advise me if I need to give myself 4hrs to do the 64 mile distance I apparently need to do?

Much appreciated.

Ta.

wwaswas

you probably need to allow 4 hours, even if it ends up only taking you 1.

the m25 is like that – it punishes people in a hurry.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Just asked a mate who does Sutton to Dartford daily. 1.5 hours. Give it two to be on the safe side. Unless there is an accident, last weeks one caused 4 hour delays.

stumpy01

Cool – I was thinking 2hrs just to be safe.

Thanks!

I am not looking forward to the journey back – M25 – Dartford tunnel – round to M11 – A14 – A1 on a Friday evening! Boo Hoo!

tonyg2003

Going anti-clockwise in the morning (I go from J9 to J27) regularlary round to the M20 should be traffic free unless you are unlucky enough to get caught in an accident. I leave. At 6:30-6:45 and make the Dartford toll booths in a out 35-40mins. Going clockwise on the southern section is completely another matter and there are usually huge queues at the M25-26 junction. 64miles – comfortable 90mins or so

Just read- ByFleet? You might get caught a little in the new service station roadworks J10-9.

tonyg2003

Oh dear – M25 Dartford to A14 on a Friday evening – carnage!!!

stumpy01

tonyg2003 – Member
    Oh dear – M25 Dartford to A14 on a Friday evening – carnage!!!

Yeah. Tempted to go back the way I came – i.e. back up the M20 to the M25, then clockwise round M25 to the A1 and straight up the A1 instead.

wwaswas

that way you have M23 M3 M4 Heathrow and M40 junctions to deal with 🙁

stumpy01

wwaswas – Member
    that way you have M23 M3 M4 Heathrow and M40 junctions to deal with

True, but normally when I drive down that way from the A1 to Byfleet (where my Bro lives) I don’t notice much traffic going clockwise. BUT, I probably just don’t notice it!

Perhaps I’ll take a tent and stay overnight in Kent! 🙂

Bear
    Free Member

where abouts in kent have you got to get to as you may be able to use M2, although don’t like the road much it is closer to Dartford crossings.

stumpy01

Bear – it’s the Wildlife Heritage Foundation, west of Ashford

tn27 8pj

Looks like M20 is the best bet…

akak
    Free Member

The M20 and the M26 link bit are normally fine.

The WHF is brilliant – is that work or pleasure?

derekrides
    Free Member

Coming to Gods own County?

Have you got a visa?

You should be Ok coming this way in the morning and tbh even going back is against the tidal flow, it’s worse in the morning heading Northbound at Dartford.

If there are M20 issues you can always go M2, then either a229 Bluebell hill or A249 to cut across.

Bear
    Free Member

M20 is best for there, although never been what is it?

grantway
    Free Member

One of the worst car parks in the mornings
    To get past Clacket Lane service station in flowing traffic
    you need to pass around 6 am has I do

akak
    Free Member

never been what is it?

WHF

Its a breeding centre for cats that are not certain to survive in the wild…it isn’t open to the public but it is worth the cost of a ranger/photography day as you can get right up to the inner cage, or even in the cage of the smaller cats.

akak
    Free Member

_9220309 by A::K, on Flickr

_9220277 by A::K, on Flickr

Some pics from 2009, a bit of an issue is that it was a surprise and I only had an Oly EP1 with half a battery and a fixed lens with me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What's the southern stretch of the M25 like in the mornings?’ is closed to new replies.