Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • What's the bestest place you've been on holiday
  • tonyg2003

@larry lamb … Maldives … by a good way

Otherwise Hawaii as a distant second

TheFlyingOx

In February? Hoi An, Vietnam.

A World Heritage site, it’s simply beautiful. Nice beach, superb food in any of the many restaurants or at one of the Pho stalls in the market. Decent hotels too, for pennies, and if you fancy it you can get a proper, and I mean proper, tailored suit for about $50.

If you want to go even further off the beaten track, Labuan Bajo on East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. The hottest place I’ve ever been. A bit basic, although there are some posh hotels west of the main town, but the whole place is amazing. Boat trips to Rinca Island to see the Komodo Dragons, boat trips to deserted islands for just relaxing, loads of surf if that’s your thing, road trips through what could be Jurassic-period jungle to see Kelimutu volcano and its multicoloured lakes, staying overnight in average island folks’ huts and partaking in their version of palm wine. I doubt I’ll ever go anywhere more exotic or more friendly.

kiwijohn

Last year we drove from Hobart to Uluru & stayed at Longitude 131. Best holiday so far.

Ambrose

@nasher

I know a few people in Moyeni, Quthing. Give me a shout, maybe they can help.

Great weather, technical descents plus dinosaur footprints in the rocks. What better combination could there possibly be?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Orlando and Miami, went end of March. Was a warm 31 Celsius. Didn’t want to come home.
    Perth Australia in February was easily in the mid 30’s low 40’s again did not want to come home. But living there is not an option as it’s quite expensive compared to the uk so I’m told.

Rhodes Greece holds a special place in my heart been 8 times. It ain’t warm in February though. It gets ridiculously warm in July august and September though.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’ll second Easter island and add Torres del Paine in the mix. If you are doing Chile

Also Vietnam is bloody lovely. Go there as well.

stewartc
    Free Member

South America, specifically Patagonia, spectacular.
    South Africa, bit biased as I grew up there but its one of the most beautiful places on earth once you get out of the cities.
    New Zealand, could happily live there, lots of things to see and do plus its NOT Australia 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lesotho.

I’ve been many times. I plan to live and work there one day, even if only for a year or so. I have never, ever met a more welcoming people.

My guide keeps on telling me to go there, and set up some mtb there…. will be there next winter..[/quote]
    https://www.facebook.com/LesothoACEMTB/
    NZ would be great, also a tour of Tasmania (local tour guide hat on…) not as hot as the mainland and more interesting in a lot of ways, plus quicker to get around.

Though most of this depends on how much and how long you have

bikebouy
    Free Member

Corsica
    Sardinia
    Sicily
    Madeira
    Morocco
    SW coast of France
    Northern Spanish Coast
    Portugal
    Almalfi Coast
    The heal Coastline of Italy (Pescaro downwards)

tuboflard

Bali is quite nice. Off again for NYE. Might still be a bit wet in February though.

tonyplym
    Free Member

For warm in February try NE Vietnam or northern Laos – before their northern neighbours spoil things.
    As far as “best ever destination” is concerned then Tajikistan would be hard to beat – a real sense of wilderness, and some of the most hospitable and humbling locals that I’ve every had the pleasure of meeting. Would go back there in an instant, although getting around there in February could be a bit tricky

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Larry lamb is right and this thread shouldn’t be into page 2

Maldives.

The only problem with going there is that everywhere else isn’t as good.

Kitesurfing over a whale shark was my highlight.

Have fun

DezB
    Free Member

Mammoth Lakes. Best food I’ve ever eaten and loads to do. Can’t stand lying round a pool doing sod all.

core

New England

itstartedwithakona
    Free Member

Nothing comes close to Argentina for me. Amazing people, fantastic food and epic scenery. Weather will be good in February too.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Thailand, Chiang Mai in particular

hanchurch
    Free Member

Malaysia, Penang and Langkawi are beautiful, you can stay in 5* hotels and have all the luxury but walk out and eat in the stalls with the locals and enjoy the culture, the weather will be good in February too I love it there.

thepurist

Galapagos Islands – I went for the diving but the land stuff is amazing too. Lizards everywher and some times you had to pick your way through the boobies. Getting snotted on by an iguana on hood island was interesting, as were some of the aromas around the sea lions.

pondo

Bestest place we’ve been on holiday? Japan for sure, mega place. Wouldn’t think it’d be too warm in Feb, I don’t think that matters.

jimdubleyou

Lesotho.
    I’ve been many times. I plan to live and work there one day, even if only for a year or so. I have never, ever met a more welcoming people.

My guide keeps on telling me to go there, and set up some mtb there…. will be there next winter..[/quote]

I worked there for a while – agree, lovely people. Mrs Dubs uncle set up a hospital there.

Galapagos Islands

Definitely on my list.

Kato

Malaysia, Penang and Langkawi are beautiful, you can stay in 5* hotels and have all the luxury but walk out and eat in the stalls with the locals and enjoy the culture, the weather will be good in February too I love it there.

Have lots of family in Penang and KL. All this is true. It’s great. Apart from the taxi drivers if you’re not a local

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yep, Maldives.

You often hear people there saying to othe guests have they have travelled a lot and the Maldives is the best.

Apart from the island beauty the level of service from the staff is normally excellent.

Prics vary a lot but an island such as Vilamendhoo, or its sister island apparently, is pretty good value on all-inclusive, so no worrying about racking up drinks bills which reduces the stress of the holiday. All you then need to take is money (unripped dollars) for the tips.

Also make sure you get an island, such as Vilamendhoo or Athuruga, that has a good house reef so you snorkle multiple times per day – if you don’t scuba or snorkle you only getting 20% of the holiday.

Having to take a dhoni to go to see another reef is not really a substitute.

Add to the mix swimming with turtles, eagle rays, manta rays and maybe even whalesharks.

And if you have any sort of upper arm injury all the swimming can be very theraputic, I fixed a screaming pain in my shoulder after an accident with just one 40 minute swim which months of stretching and gym work hadn’t touched. Swimming is a lot easier and less stressful than the pool as you have a snorkle on, your head is inline and there’s loads of fish surrounding you.

johndoh
    Free Member

Kenya? 20 years ago but it was fantastic seeing heffalumps in the wild.

I’d say Kenya too – had an amazing honeymoon there myself. I don’t know what the wildlife is like in February though – the ‘best’ time of year is the migration season and I guess that will depend on where you went. We were there (the Mara) in August and it was teeming with migrating wildebeest and that (naturally) brings with it all the activity (ie, predators).

bencooper
    Free Member

The Soviet Union. Being driven around Moscow in an armoured limo, massive suite in a deserted hotel next to Red Square, flying in a converted bomber to Siberia, trips on Lake Baikal, drunk Russian students around a campfire giving me a massive Russian Army knife. And got to sit in the cockpit on the BA flight there.

It was epic when I was a kid.

Nico
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXDtQcuA5Bo[/video]

mrhoppy

thepurist – Member
    Galapagos Islands

I’ve seen planet earth 2, not a freaking chance until they’ve wiped out all of those snakes.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

While it won’t be warm I woudl be back in Vancouver / British Columbia in a shot if I could. Love the whole area from the stunning scenery, things to do and the general vibe. Loads of skiing to be done at that time of the year although there is more to do and see in the warmer times. Maybe consider it for another time in the year but it is definitely worth the trip.

Fat-boy-fat

Lots of votes for lots of places I’ve been to and would love to go back to. I kind of agree with the Maldives for the ultimate in service (been twice and both times were out of this world).

Love Australia, NZ, Tasmania et al. Lived over there for two years and been back on hols a few times. Unfortunately, we’re only likely to get a week due to the other half and work commitments, so they’re all off the list as there’s not point in going for such a short time.

Similar sort of story for South America, Easter Island and the like. On the life plan at some point but not next February (they need time devoted to them).

Far East is good for me (worked over there lots over the years) but I’d be obliged to see family if I went … avoid avoid avoid.

While I love Canada and am intrigued about all the Scandanavian options, I live in blinking freezing Scotland and in no way want to go somewhere cold in winter. Might as well stay at home!

The Galapagos though …. oooo …. always wanted to go there. Off to do some research on that one.

sheck

Kerala… specifically mountain bike Kerala – with Mike…tack a few days on the beach/houseboat at the end to relax

Mackem

Best real holiday was a couple of years ago, did 3 weeks in California.

If you count 10 years in Basque Country as a holiday (Most of the time it felt like it), then there.

jimdubleyou

I (personally) wouldn’t want to fly for more that 8 hours when only going for a week.

We just went to Dubai which was expensive, but very pleasant.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Bookmarked for a read later.
    Looking for a safari/beach combo for big anniversary next year.
    Something like Kenya/Zimbabwe and Maldives combo would be high on the list.

vondally
    Free Member

Just back from three weeks in Japan and hugely rate it,

Sun and Feb well
    Skiing Colorado….cold….one of the best places we have been.

Portugal rates well, good people and culture,

Sicily pretty cool if you avoid Catania

sbob
    Free Member

Larry_Lamb – Member

Maldives, end of thread.

But not everyone’s been there you mong. 😛

South India for me; beautiful country, lovely people, amazing food, cheap as chips.

ransos
    Free Member

I (personally) wouldn’t want to fly for more that 8 hours when only going for a week.

Plus jetlag takes another chunk out of your holiday.

tonyg2003

Maldives or Maui for me

wicki
    Free Member

+ 1 Argentina

rone

Best holiday experiences have been in USA and Japan.

Scotland next.

woody21
    Free Member

Al Maha, Dubai.

Middle of the desert, all inclusive (except for alcohol), great food, own infinity pool, wildlife, dune bashing – bliss

Edukator
    Free Member

Aberdyfi as a kid.

As an Adult, Chamonix.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘What's the bestest place you've been on holiday’ is closed to new replies.