Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What's the best and worst things you've ever bought from the £1 shop
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Was cleaning the BBQ with my £1 shop 3in1 bbq cleaning tool yesterday when I realised this must be its third season, still going strong. Wire brushes still effective, blade still sharp, no rust. It struck me that I really had got my moneys worth with that one.

If I had to pick a worst, it would be the foldaway rucksack that I bought thinking I was clever for avoiding the 10p charge on the carrier bag, but the stitching was coming away by the time I got to the car.

I know this is STW, but there must be a few here who stoop so low as to make use of the £1 shop. What’s your best and worst £ shop purchases.

khani
    Free Member

Condoms….
    Khani, father of 12.. 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

The 50p i bought was pretty disappointing.

kimbers

Trying out the films of Poundland

The Blu-rays of Poundland

😀

ive got some 1L pink mucoff rip off, not used it yet in case it takes off all my paint too tbh

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Best: Squished M&S coffee cake
    Worst: A torch, it was crap

theotherjonv

My daughter wanted a pair of earbuds for her iPod. Awful. I realise there are stereophiles here who will claim that unless you have a squillion pound headphones then all quality is awful but barely being able to recognise the tune was a new low.

Good – a pack of Wasabi peas. Sinuses like they’d been jetwashed after that lot.

cokie

Best: iPhone 6s case- emergency purchase and protected the phone well whilst I waited for the otterbox to arrive.

Worst: Headphones- sounded like I was trying to listen to music next door through the wall, then one ear broke and then the second kept cutting out. This was after 2 minutes use. Died after 3 minutes, because I got very angry.

Northwind

Best: Haribos. There’s something very satisfying about turning up at the counter with 5kg of haribo. (I like it when they still offer you 3 packets of chocolate for a pound at the counter, “doesn’t look like you have quite enough sugar there sir…”

Worst: random things that just don’t work. A CD drive cleaner was the last one.

smashit
    Free Member

ive got some 1L pink of mucoff rip off

Me too. Half way through the bottle. All good so far!!

jekkyl

a token for a shopping trolley shaped the size of a pound coin, it cost me a pound.

cheers_drive

Some small pincer snips 14 years ago, very useful for cutting cable ties

cokie

Some small pincer snips 14 years ago, very useful for cutting cable ties

Hang on.. That’s cheating!

That would be £1.49 in today’s money. Of course they would be superior quality!

RustySpanner

Best – chocolate.
    Worst – aftershave.

thegreatape
    Free Member

About a hundred brandy snaps. Real chewy ones. Lovely.

johnnystorm

A file that the handle came off in use and the exposed metal spike jabbed me in the squishy bit between two fingers. Agonising!

*edit* Forgot the best thing! It was a really long screwdriver that performed a multitude of tasks, crow-bar, chisel, paint lid lever, wire-fence tensioner, etc. Never for screwing things though, far too long for that.

DezB
    Free Member

A baking tray. And a ton of cheap AA batteries to put in Xmas toys.

Worst was a chicken sandwich, not very pleasant.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2m x 1m tarp with eyelets, Handy for lots of things.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Best: their cheap muck-off

Worst: pretty much anything else, the sellotape is particularly abysmal.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Reading glasses…..the’re as good as the prescription ones I have and quite stylish! 8)

Can’t think of anything bad….its all good!

brassneck

Best – batteries those Kodak ones are reet.

Worst – oh so many to choose from. I never learn. Mainly tools though, and hairy paint brushes that make your window sills look like they are moulting.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

best – 2x1m bungee cords with a carribena at either end. Incredibly useful.

worst – batteries. (At least) 24 pack of AAs. At least 75% were DOA.

revs1972
    Free Member

Best,
    Tempered glass screen for iPhone .
    Lasted 2 weeks longer than the £12.99 version I bought elsewhere.

Worst, set of spanners. Jaws opened first time I used them ( I knew they would be crap, but not that crap)

pb2

The trolly, mind you I had be off smartish 😀

Northwind

The batteries are mostly shitey zinc btw, usually a false economy

bearnecessities

Broken chocolate fingers – a freakin’ massive bag of them. They were actually cadburys and included white and their double layered offerings.

Obscenely good value and weirdly, never broken.

You get fat quick mind you.

jamesyboy
    Free Member

Best :- smyths bscon and scampi fries multi pack , oh and frys chocolate creams…

Worst :- batteries.. Last 5 minutes

project
    Free Member

Best = reading glasses

Worst = bag of assorted wine gums, lovely taste, but they worked like Picolax, for 3 days.

ctk
    Free Member

Best: 2 (or was it 3?) cans of coconut water
    Best: A Hotwheels Lancia Stratos (for my kids obviously)

Worst: Some protein energy bar, tasted OK but I actually had to stop riding to concentrate on chewing the ****! Like Toffee

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Best: A remote control that lets you take photos on your phone hands free.
    Second best: a mini remote control skateboard I sellotaped my work mates phone to, I then ‘drove’ his phone round the office taking photos on the remote and putting the phone back on his desk without him knowing.

Worst: some deodorant that gave me a rash

nuke

Retractable micro USB cables…bought lots and they all still work and means when I’m not charging devices on a 4-way multi usb, the cables aren’t everywhere

zippykona

We needed to get some presents for the maids when we went to Cuba as money tips are useless to them and certain stuff they just can’t get.
    Got a load of medical stuff ,plasters,tablets etc which we found later all cheaper in Boots.

lapierrelady

Best: vajazzle kit for secret Santa
    Worst: washing up liquid – no bubbles

mikertroid
    Free Member

£1 gift voucher for a present surely the best purchase?

jamj1974

khani – Member
    Condoms….
    Khani, father of 12..

May as well have ended the thread on post #2! Made me laugh like a drain! 😮

welshfarmer

Best, Terry chocolate Oranges (though you now find them for a £1 in Lidls and Asda so no longer such a bargain)

Worst was a tungsten masonry drill bit. On first use I thought it was working well as the drill rapidly moved towards the wall. On checking how deep I had gone I noticed the surface was barely marked and the drill bit was now an inch shorter 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Best – I phone 5 screen saver, 2 for a £1. I had just got the phone and I’m clumsy so just got them till I could get a ” proper ” one but it’s as good as any from a phone shop.

Worse – anything tool related.

vickypea
    Free Member

I bought a small wheelie bag from the Pound Plus shop in Macclesfield, but haven’t used it as it had been steeped in a hideous chemical that absolutely stank the whole house out!
    Best purchase was a red washing up bowl.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Worst.. sandpaper… the sand isnt actually attached to the paper so just falls off when you trying sanding. Also most £1 tools are pretty much made of cheese.

Best.. cable ties and throw away paint brushes

Earl
    Free Member

pink exercise rubber band – for rotator cuff rehab

me1tdown
    Free Member

Best: Sun screen
    Worst: plastic clothes pegs (they fall assist if left in the sun)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What's the best and worst things you've ever bought from the £1 shop’ is closed to new replies.