Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's that noise coming from headset?
  • SirJonLordofBike1
    Free Member

My Cannondale F700 (around 2002, with headshock fatty SI forks) this one

[/url]

was making a noise, thinking it was just the gear cables making a"clicking" sound against the downtube I took no notice – anyways its coming from the headset area when I turn the bars – I'm broke any ideas what it is or whether it needs/ or i can fix it myself? It still works ok.

I'm a bit reluctant to take it to the bike shop last Dale Headshock repair (different bike) my bike went awol for 3 months and cost £120.

Panracer
    Free Member

Hi, I have an f900sl with the same headset problem. Annoying isn't it! 😕
    The other day I printed off some info sheets from the c'dale website on how to service the fork which has helped me gain confidence in removing it from the frame for inspection just two days ago. The actual suspension works fine, the runners & needle bearings have fresh grease & the rubber boot is in good order, so I'm reasonably confident that this isn't the place to look. To cut a long story short…I think new headset bearings are needed. You can feed them a few drops of oil according to my info source, but that hasn't helped in my case. I am now on the hunt for these headset bearings. If I successfully fit them & 'click' free, I'll let you know.
    Regards, P 😉

SirJonLordofBike1
    Free Member

Definately annoying, thanks for the reply Panracer – hope it works let me know how you get on 😉

Panracer
    Free Member

Hi, yes it has worked. I replaced the bearings (25 quid from chain reaction)
    & the click is no more. Its D.I.Y do-able, but a headset cup press is recommended for gently squeezing the upper bearing back into the cup.

Regards, P

SirJonLordofBike1
    Free Member

Thanks Panracer – new bearings it is then, I have a headset press so should be no problems 😉

Panracer
    Free Member

Hmmm, the noise is back again…grrr! I now think it might be a bit of grit in the headset cups so I will take out the cups, check them, clean them & put them back in the frame. I've also acquired a creak in my seat in the mean time…sigh. Oh well, it keeps me busy :>j

PJM1974
    Free Member

I has this and it drove me crazy.

I stripped and greased the headset to no avail.

Further investigation revealed it came from the star nut, so I dribbled a tiny drop of oil into the fork's steerer tube and it's been as quiet as a mouse since.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's that noise coming from headset?’ is closed to new replies.