Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • What’s on your bird feeder?
  • janwal
    Free Member

https://www.charlies.co.uk/chapel-wood-ultra-squirrel-proof-seed-feeder.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwzN-vBhAkEiwAYiO7oAAdLViu79XRAcHBHhNPhG_tsvpOcbLui5lqrrrEJJNWh3aDQH7TKhoCOu8QAvD_BwE
    I can recommend one of these if you want to stop squirrels. The cage is built of thick gauge metal which they can’t chew through and it has a screw top which totally stops them from destroying it or getting at the food.They gave up after a couple of attempts. I only use sunflower hearts in it as mixed seed bits the birds don’t like just gets thrown around and attract rats which have now stopped coming. Although fox and badger in the garden at night might also help.
    ive got a small ‘house’ style feeder for suet pellets but gets emptied in a couple of hours by magpies and recently starlings which not had before this year. Strangely squirrels totally ignore the suet pellets. Can’t put fat pellets out as magpies again will destroy them in quick time and peanuts just get ignored by most birds as well and go mouldy.

DPM

Well this was unexpected a couple of weekends ago! We even had Derbyshire Wildlife Trust around to see if they could film him. Sadly it appeared to be a one off visit. They think he is one of last years cubs checking out places for a new den. But great to see him in the garden nonetheless. Apparently they love peanuts from and actively forage around feeders 🤗

IMG_4645

pondo

We had a badger pop in one evening – we get foxes all the time, and I’ve no problem being in the garden at the same time as them, but I’d have scarpered if the badger turned up while I was out there, it’s like having a mini black-and-white tank rumbling about!

Northwind

Burchy1
    Free Member

B&M bargains does a decent line in cheap fat balls.

Nothing in my garden eats these, all too choosy. But the suet pellets are super popular. I get the big cardboard boxes, works out really cheap

CountZero

Burchy1
    Free Member

B&M bargains does a decent line in cheap fat balls.
    Nothing in my garden eats these, all too choosy. But the suet pellets are super popular. I get the big cardboard boxes, works out really cheap

Yeah, I’ve bought lots of things that the birds are supposed to be really mad for, and they either ignore them and they go mouldy, or in the case of Niger seeds got tossed on the floor! I’ve emptied another tub of the mini suet pellets, the four feeders have been emptied in one day! It’s the Peckish high energy fat balls I was trying to think of, but the ones I get from Jollyes Pet Store are much the same, and they’re doing three packs for the price of one, so I’m buying a few more, to keep up with demand.
    There’s going to be lots more starlings turning up in a couple of months, and possibly sparrows, they’ve been noticeably vocal recently, as well.

Then there’s the hedgehogs, I’ve got to buy another box of Pedigree dog food in the sachets, as well as a bunch of packets of Dreamies, with the creamy centres, and then there’s the 2kg bags of calci worms I buy every two weeks, because the starlings and the hedgehogs both love them. So do plenty of the other birds as well, because of what the starlings toss on the ground. 🤷🏼

Which reminds me, I’ve got to write a shopping list…

mamadirt
    Free Member

We have a pair of red cardinals here in North Georgia but our main visitors are freakin’ thieving pine siskins – seem to appear in their hundreds, scare off all the other birds and eat everything in sight 😬

thecaptain
    Free Member

I just binned an old maggoty box of fatballs, the birds round here simply don’t touch them. It’s about 90% sunflower hearts, and some peanuts for the tits.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ha ha so true @Northwind

salsaboy

The one at work (HebTroCo) has regular visits from Blue, Great, Coal, Long Tailed tits, Nuthatch and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

pondo

Judging by the drift of pigeon feathers in the garden, I should imagine Mrs Sparrowhawk paid us a visit earlier.

nbt

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Ohhh would LOVE to see a lesser spotted, only ever seen Great Spotted.

IdleJon

Ohhh would LOVE to see a lesser spotted, only ever seen Great Spotted.

We’ve got some nesting around here. When I ride to work at the moment, I’ll hear at least 3 or 4 woodpeckers drumming, but can’t differentiate between the sounds, and I’ll occasionally see any of the different types. (I’ll also pass a couple of dozen curlew in the playing fields every few days. 😀 )

thomas132

Down here in Greater Manchester we’ve got:

Goldfinch, greenfinch, siskin, blue tits, coal tits, great tits, long tailed (but they never use the feeders), dunnock, wren, robin, blackbird.

Oh and magpies nesting in the hawthorn tree.

Mainly feeding sunflower hearts and mealworm.

Hedgehog box is being emptied, but probably by the rat nesting in there.

Have a mini pond, but not seen the resident frog yet, but disappointed he’s not on the game enough to get some frogspawn going.

thomas132

And here’s an old picture of said frog and a squirrel queuing to get to the pond.  Since then the log pile has completely filled this space.

IM_00025

fenderextender
    Free Member

In addition to the birds themselves, isnt it amazing how quickly certain species switch foods when the weather changes. 5-15 degrees and the fatballs are untouched. Bit of breeze or temps under 5 degrees and they’re going through roughly one a day.

Oh, and Mr/Mrs Sparrowhawk nearly took my head off yesterday as I was walking back down the garden to the house. Must have been 5 yards in front of me as he/she flashed across the garden. He/she has a great run out of some tall trees, across five or six narrow gardens with hedges and up into other tall trees.

And a Red Kite circling in the last few days too.

Love it.

CountZero

We have a pair of red cardinals here in North Georgia but our main visitors are freakin’ thieving pine siskins – seem to appear in their hundreds, scare off all the other birds and eat everything in sight

Almost like the Starlings, except despite their best efforts, even the blue tits pretty much ignore the starlings – they just hop onto another feeder.
    I think there was a Sparrowhawk in the garden briefly the other day, judging by its appearance with the long tail and rather rounded ends to the wings.
    There were Peregrines around a few years back, but I haven’t seen them for a while; more likely to see ravens or red kites, remarkable considering where I live, the actual edge of town is about a kilometre away now.

Hedgehog box is being emptied, but probably by the rat nesting in there.

Their feeding station is emptied by the next morning in my garden, and I know there’s no rats about – the poos they leave behind are a good clue, mucky little wretches crap on their own food dishes! 🤨

I had yet another 2kg bag of Calciworms delivered this lunchtime, so far this year I’ve had 2kg bags delivered on 31 January, 28 February, 12 March and today, 27 March. That’s £52 so far this year. Surely it would be cheaper to have kids?
    I haven’t seen the Goldcrest lately, but the fact they’ve been around for years and I hardly ever see them shows how well camouflaged they are.

One thing I’m going to get put up is a double swift box, hopefully I might encourage a couple of pairs to nest. 🤞🏼

reeksy

We don’t feed birds here, but for the last few days there’s been a pair of Forest kingfishers hanging out on our pool fence. They were scooping insects out of the pool. I got my DSLR for the first time in years but the overcast weather means the photos are rubbish.

smiffy

DSC04030a

SSS
    Free Member

Peanut cages, as if we put out fat balls etc, theres lots of crows and magpies here and they just destroy the feeders.
    They cant get to the peanuts in the cages.

We get small birds like above, sparrows, tits, wagtails etc. But a woodpecker comes every so often.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iqCHtM]DSC00278-3[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iqCPY5]DSC00268[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iqCWuX]DSC00223[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Can’t find the picture of the woodpecker at the moment. When it’s not rats (or squirrels), we have a fabulous selection of tits and finches

*edit – found it. Not the greatest pic uploaded and then downloaded from FB and taken on the phone through glass from the bedroom

314665472_5492432104126164_4318925039397206722_n

smiffy

I love the Nuthatch, I think he’s probably my favourite.

smiffy

DSC07277

thelawman

I’m getting a good crop of greenfinches, goldfinches, assorted tits (blue & great, mainly) and have just recently started to see a couple of siskins. They’ve not been around for a few years, but maybe there are a few extra migrants* in the country this winter to bolster the local population.
    Between them, they’re chewing through sunflower hearts at quite a rate, with blackbirds, pigeons and dunnocks on the ground below to mop up the spillage. And a field mouse a fortnight back.
    Fat balls, peanuts and niger seed are pretty much being ignored in favour of the sunflower hearts, although the dried mealworms each morning soon get gobbled up.

(* I’m assuming they flew under their own steam, rather than small boats)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

All of the regular bird feeders are fine for small portions.

I couldn’t find anything, large enough to hold a loaf of bread.

These are barbq accessories:

Emptied in no time at all.

i can only assume that the pigeons appreciate having croutons to dip in their cup-a-soup😂😂😂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Cock all.

When I was 14 (ahem 41 years ago), we had blue/great/coal tits, green/bull/gold/chaffinches, siskins, dunnocks, wrens, mistle/song thrushes, robins and even a blackcap once. On the same residential estate as I live now. I have two feeders and the only thing that’s been on it is a big, fat woodie. What happened?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.