Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What's hot and what's not?
  • thenorth
    Free Member

I’ve not really perused this forum properly (or read any bike-related literature or media) for a good few years now, and just wondered what are the latest trends in the world of mtb’s.

The last thing I can remember, is that slopestyle was about to take off in a big way; did it?

What’s all this 29″ wheel nonsense?

Do people on here still try to be incredibly niché?

I’m trying to get back into riding after a very long time out 🙁

creamegg
    Free Member

29ers never caught on

scaredypants

niché

now I like that !
    I mean, it’s wrong but so so right

650b aggressive xc bikes are very 2013, baby

rOcKeTdOg

Some of us still like riding, whatever style/niche it might happen to be, just get out and ride and don’t worry

grum
    Free Member

Fatbikes are the latest STW niche of choice. 29ers are starting to get too mainstream now and will soon no longer be acceptable the STW niche elite. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg – you still want details about that place in France? Did you ever get hold of stratobiker? Sorry I realised I forgot to reply.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The last thing I can remember, is that slopestyle was about to take off in a big way; did it?

not really – difficult innit.

26″ wheeled bikes look crap if the frame is bigger than 19″ – lots of tall people like the option of buying a bike that doesn’t look crap. lots of people like the option of buying a bike that rides a little differently, lots of tall people like the option of buying a bike that looks good, and rides a little differently.

expect to see lots of photo’s of ti-framed, belt-driven, hub-geared, 29er, ‘fat’ bikes with daft handlebars if you decide to stick around…

(that’s a yes)

HermanShake
    Free Member

Short stems and wide bars have lasted a while with bars getting bigger and bigger. Slack front ends appear to be popular with full suspension frames increasingly having ‘chips’ or offset inserts for the linkages to mount through.

Thin flat pedals are increasingly common, with more brands going to the same factory for their own version of 17mm thick CNCd flattitude. Shimano have embraced 1 finger braking and shortened their levers to stay outboard of the shifters as well as tweaking their rear mechs.

Big rings are becoming uncommon as we’re all ready for a bash against something while simultaneously dropping saddle height via bar mounted remote.

I felt pretty niché with my bibs beneath my baggies yesterday, stealthbibs are where it’s at.

shortcut

29ers are becoming popular in most places aside for this forum where people still like their Orange 5’s.

montylikesbeer

Lights have got massively better with unheard of light for less than the cost of a silly tyre.

Giving extensions of riding pleasure deep into winter ( if your shoes haven’t rotted to bits by then)

thenorth
    Free Member

29ers do look a bit ridiculous unless their attached to a larger frame. What’s next 32?

Saw a bit of debate over the big ring before.. interesting points made. Always thought a chainset with a bash looks pretty sweet.

Got a Spec Camber on order and looking forward to getting on the trails with it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

niché

Is that like a niche version of a cliché?

🙂

thenorth
    Free Member

Always thought niche had the accent! 😯

JoeG
    Free Member

Dropper seatposts are becoming very popular. More gears in back now; 10 is standard and 11 is in the works. Many folks have simplified the front gears, though 1x or 2×10. Clutch rear derailleurs have caught on as they reduce chainslap and help keep the chain on. On full suspension, BBs have gotten lower for better handling. Carbon fiber is everywhere…

drofluf
    Free Member

Steel bikes with rigid forks are where it’s at.

Maybe

😀

singlespeedstu

Fatbikes are the latest STW niche of choice.

You’re so last year darling. 😆

Actualy riding any bike seems to be the niche thing to do this year. 😉

ancient
    Free Member

some interesting opinions on here , LOL

grum
    Free Member

Actualy riding any bike off-road seems to be the niche thing to do this year.

FTFY.

druidh
    Free Member

Only if the bike has fallen over.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Steel and rigid is and always will be the thing to have

grum
    Free Member

Steel and rigid is and always will be the thing to have

singlespeedstu

Actualy riding any bike off-road seems to be the niche thing to do this year.

FTFY.

Do people on here ride road bikes then?

Can’t say i’d noticed…

muckytee
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem like it, also 4X is no longer part of the UCI world cup I believe.

Size matters and bigger is better, bigger wheels take more effort to get up to speed, but then carry it better, they also go over obstacles better (like 3″ really makes a difference 🙄 ) So all in all 29ers are faster. Least that’s what the marketing dep. say. Suck it and see is my opinion.

Yep, only thing is that so many people are being niche, that being niche is no longer – niche

Normal is the new niche, so if you ride a 26″ wheeled FS with 3×9 gears, congrats your niche.

It’s all about road bikes and Bradley Wiggins at the moment.

yunki
    Free Member

Direct trade sriracha next level, mcsweeney’s farm-to-table odd future tofu. DIY mixtape craft beer, seitan lo-fi high life you probably haven’t heard of them artisan. Hella farm-to-table fap odd future, chillwave forage lomo. Leggings wolf before they sold out cosby sweater +1. Cliche viral mlkshk ethnic forage, occupy tofu VHS bicycle rights. Direct trade master cleanse PBR, trust fund put a bird on it skateboard squid helvetica mumblecore pop-up hella chillwave DIY. Cosby sweater banksy mcsweeney’s fanny pack bespoke mumblecore letterpress post-ironic.

Flexitarian lomo sartorial gluten-free seitan, farm-to-table viral. Pinterest sartorial bicycle rights vinyl fingerstache godard trust fund, direct trade viral semiotics raw denim cray salvia. Small batch trust fund photo booth kale chips put a bird on it scenester, pickled bespoke locavore. Hoodie shoreditch fingerstache skateboard, cred carles whatever. Authentic helvetica godard locavore mlkshk bushwick. Fixie umami cray, wes anderson iphone banksy vinyl hoodie post-ironic wolf. Four loko +1 mlkshk beard, post-ironic biodiesel wes anderson letterpress hella pinterest forage blog wolf salvia before they sold out.

Bregante

+1

JoeG
    Free Member

Yunki – WTF?

singlespeedstu

I think yunki has hit the nail on the head there.

djglover
    Free Member

Yunki.. Missed off wood burning stoves there.

Steve77
    Free Member

I think he meant carbon 29″ tubeless 1×10 dropper post angleset 650B wide bars short stems gopro tacos press fit BBs clutch derailleurs double barrel floating rotors etc etc

Bregante

carbon 29″ tubeless 1×10 dropper post angleset 650B wide bars short stems gopro tacos press fit BBs clutch derailleurs double barrel floating rotors

Altogether now….

We didn’t start the fire……

johnny

Genius. Thoug a more direct juxtaposition of “direct trade” and “authentic” would be great.

“Ethnic forage” is a phrase i aim to use much more on a day to day basis…

AndyA
    Free Member

ENDUROOOOOOOOOO

HermanShake
    Free Member

Hipster ipsum perchance?

At first I was all “8-bit quinoa thundercats!”, now I’m totally “fanny pack dreamcatcher cliche”.

thenorth
    Free Member

Yunki’s update is outstanding. Thread closed!

yunki
    Free Member

Herman Shake wins a crate of DIY mixtape craft beer

HermanShake
    Free Member

Feeling smug, just like Papa Smurf.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the future is 1×10 carbon full sussers with 150mm.

And steel hardtails in winter.

chris_db
    Free Member

This is the best thread I ever read on Singletrack, thankyou!

justatheory
    Free Member

Whatever’s hot is not and vice versa.

chives
    Free Member

Sideburns were niche, but now there just sooo last Olympics, darling. (I’ve been wondering if Guy Martin might sue Wiggins for copyright infringement).

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What's hot and what's not?’ is closed to new replies.