Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • whats best: a loan or add to mortgage
  • qwerty
    Free Member

?

bakey

You could do the calculations which will give you a total cost of borrowing on either method. Bear in mind though that a mortgage or an unfixed loan interest rate may change.

The old business addage is useful: match the loan to the asset i.e. short life asset:short term borrowing; long life asset:long term borrowing. Or in a personal context an overdraft for your monthly ups and downs and a mortgage for your house.

alfabus
    Free Member

totally depends on what your mortgage rate is.

i've got a stonkingly cheap mortgage at the moment, so i'd never be able to get a comparable loan.

dave

funkynick

Depends on the term of the loan you are looking at, how much you can afford to pay and how much time you have left on your mortgage and what rates you get and will get in the future.

It will also depend on whether you want to extend the terms of your mortgage, or keep the term and increase how much you are paying every month.

So, in general… it depends… :o)

mtbfix

Save up.

GJP
    Free Member

Loans are unsecured, if we are talking "high street loans", mortgages or not. This may or may not be a factor. I tend to avoid adding to the mortgage unless it is to be invested in the property.

sockpuppet

remember you'll have the mortgage for a long time, and since the amount you add to the mortgage essentially gets paid off last, you'll be paying the (possibly much) lower rate on the sum you borrow for a long time too. you could easily pay that rate for 20 years before you pay any of the additional money back.

unless you overpay, that is. but then if that's the plan, then as said above, why not save up?

petrieboy

Mortgage assuming it's a lower rate and won't attract charges but pay it off over the same period as you would the personal loan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘whats best: a loan or add to mortgage’ is closed to new replies.