Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What would you have done?
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

I was pedalling home from work on Saturday down the canal path and ahead of me I could see a young lad, maybe 20, and his girlfriend sat on bench can of lager in hand. As I got nearer the young lad finished his can and threw it manfully into the canal. Now bear in mind this is a nice spot where families and old people walk every day. Without revealing what I actually said or did what would you have done?(if anything)

Drac

This being the internet I’d have thrown him after it to recover it before wooing his good lady.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stopped removed the Bombers from the bike, beat him senseless and then thrown him into the canal to get the can back obviously.

Cougar

In all honesty, I’d have tutted under my breath, got all cross about it and then complained about it on the Internet.

GrahamS

Sigh, tut, and possibly mutter a bit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A dirty look or subtle head-shake, if I was feeling brave maybe a shrug of the shoulders?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looked at him disapprovingly, and then when far enough away to not get beaten up, shouted back to him he’s a dirty barsteward and shouldn’t be throwing stuff in the canal.

growinglad
    Free Member

….Simples, put on my mature facade, ask him if he’d do the same thing in his house and then allow his GF to admire my lycra clad body.

Win win I’ll think you’ll find.

edward2000
    Free Member

I would have told Flash Gordon

sandwicheater

I’d have thrown social convention out the window and jolly well blanked them, yep, not even a ‘good day to you’ or a ‘hello’. That and a mixture of the above, i’m not very confrontational.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I would have called him a **** and pedalled like ****.

SaxonRider

Cougar – Moderator
    In all honesty, I’d have tutted under my breath, got all cross about it and then complained about it on the Internet.

Terrified of the potential repercussions, I would have taken the same line as Cougar.

Cougar

What I’d have wanted to do is entirely different, of course…

martinhutch

I’d have spent the next five miles imagining what I would have done if I had any backbone.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I would have called him a **** and pedalled like ****.

I read that as you’d have called him a ****in’ pedalo-like ****. Which is probably not what I’d have done but did put some strange pictures in my head.

footflaps

Jumped in and saved the can before it drowned?

Drac

Then again this is STW so I’d given him a lesson in drinking craft beers instead of piss in a can.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d have cycled serenely past then when out of sight snuck back up behind them and tipped the bench into the canal, then watched as the crocodiles ducks did the rest.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I would have probably called him a ****, but not stopped to do so…

Enough I would hope to crush his ‘hard man’ act in front of his GF, but not enough that I would have to had back up my comments with actions.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Like most of you I would have done nothing, but wonder if stopping jumping into the river getting said can and putting it into the bin would have given a better point then stating the obvious to the fella and ending up in the river anyway…

pondo

I’d have spent the next five miles imagining what I would have done if I had any backbone.

+1

(I’m not even brave enough to voice an original opinion)

leythervegas
    Free Member

We have a winner! Thats exactly what I did P-Jay. Called him a little sh*t and said something along the lines of ‘its d***heads like you that are making this town a s**thole’ and by the time I’d finished my little rant/hissy fit I was safely 20 yard past him. He looked a bit shocked and his girlfriend laughed at him (or maybe me, not sure).

martinhutch

He’s probably still sat in his Corsa sobbing.

project
    Free Member

Stop and say to the young people, if you log onto http://www.singletrack.com in the next few days youll be able to read various reasons and punishments that mature older people, who some would say never experienced teenager angst would like to see /do to you. Then rush home, formulating a story surrounding the incident while pedaling furriously to get home, then urgently type it on to this forum.

tazzymtb

I’d have stopped and had a word to gently persuade him the error of ways and to maybe consider is actions next time. but I’m a delicate flower and eloquent little soul as well, so I’m sure he would have felt like he was being gently scolded by a kitten with fairy wings. 😀

lunge

Yep, this.

Drac

Stop and say to the young people, if you log onto http://www.singletrack.com in the next few days youll be able to read various reasons and punishments that mature older people

All that from a marketing site?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TheLittlestHobo – Member
    No pitchers. Sorry

Come on guys, keep it going and we get more posts than the Mk1 thread
    #Thread Pissing Contest

gears_suck
    Free Member

A lad did the same thing when I was riding up from behind him. I stopped and asked him why he had done so. He responded by going purple in the face while screaming f### off, I’ve got anger management problems. I agreed that he obviously did but that had nothing to do with being a complete c##t.
    The outcome was not productive so I resolved to just call a c##t a c##t in future and keep on moving.

ferrals
    Free Member

Dived into the canal got the can to sell it for scrap, before berating the youth for his lack of business acumen.

pictonroad

I ‘made’ 3 lads about 15ish pick up a whole pile of litter, they were call kin me every name under the sun, I’m a skinny weaklings and I was a bit worried they might turn tbh. Would do it again though, it’s worth it.

ski
    Free Member

I would have done nothing and just kept cycling.

My commute takes me along 4 miles of inner city canal tow paths, I have been pushed by drunks twice, had a knife waved at me once, see drug miss use on a weekly basis, lost count the number of times I have played chicken with locals showing off.

If I stopped to confront everyone who showed off on my commute, I don’t think I would last a month!

chewkw
    Free Member

Nahh … do nothing unless you can beat the crap out of him then you can tell him off.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

I’d have asked if he was polish……
    There is a local beauty spot near me that’s been ruined by groups of stonewashed denim wearing **** having drinks and burning a couple logs and throwing there rubbish everywhere . Penalty should be dunking in the water like witch hunting in the good old days .

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d have probably hollered something about making the place a shit’ole, but only when the escape route was clear.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’d have employed our local waterside louts to kick his fish. A few cans of lager should do it.

On same subject, last night someone had lobbed approx five-person ‘meals’ worth of Mc D’s junk out of a car window top of our road.

I imagined what I’d do if I’d seen them. Then remembered the last time I actually saw someone doing this (same road) it was because they were lobbing it at me/my bike as they passed. I didn’t even raise a fist. Just used zen-like self-control and absorbed the peace. If I had a motorbike would possibly opt for instant karma over Zen…

(Swoon):

[video]http://youtu.be/FYW3rqIE3gc[/video]

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.