Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • What will our children rip out of our houses with disgust?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, Hardwood Floors OBVS! 😀

Just wondering this over lunch – a friend and I are shuttling between a couple of £2m-ish houses in Bristol, both of which are having a high 6-figure (possibly 7, in fact in one case, easily) sum being spent on them.

What do we think the next generation will curse us for as they rip it out and landfill is illegal by then?

I’m going for mdf – there’s tons of it used in all the swanky refurbs I work in. And then I reckon all these glass and steel/alu hand rails/balustrades.

All “feature” walls will be painted over in the next tens years too.

Drac

Wood burners.

david47
    Free Member

thankfully got my wife to paint over our feature wall already! don’t know why she wanted it in the first place.

MSP

Wall carpet and ceiling mirrors.

Drac

ceiling mirrors.

😯

MrNice
    Free Member

What will our children rip out of our houses with disgust?

their parents

wombat

I suspect my oubliette will be filled in sharpish once I’m no longer able to prevent it happening…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Chinz is on the return, so I guess that.

Other than that I think you have it covered DD.

“smart” tech, it’ll all be Brain driven by then so no need for past tech via mobile phones is there.

LED’s, they’ll be next. If they haven’t set fire to the ceilings that is.

Boiling Water Hot Taps.. Think they’ll go in my lifetime TBH.

ninfan
    Free Member

Electric underfloor heating will go the same way as warm air heating.

(Bring back the Hypocaust)

wombat

Boiling Water Hot Taps

And not a moment too soon, hateful things

ojom
    Free Member

They should be knocking most of our houses down rather than ripping stuff out. They will wonder why we built things so environmentally unfriendly.

That’s after they marvel at the fact we drove around in petrol powered vehicles of course.

Back to the OP though, I would imagine wooden decking in the garden will be seen as a massive pain in the ass, as will gas cookers etc.

hooli

Laminate flooring, feature walls, decking, pea shingle and those purple slate chippings.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup deckings a good one, it’ll be grass and seed that only grows 20mm by then.

The multitude of electric “implements” Whisks, blenders, MagiMix’s, sharpeners, kettles even, toasters.. food will be in squidgy packets with self cook meat and grown up HobNobs with vitamins in.

ThePinkster

The multitude of electric “implements” Whisks, blenders, MagiMix’s, sharpeners, kettles even, toasters.. food will be in squidgy packets with self cook meat and grown up HobNobs with vitamins in.

I thought we were talking about our children, not our great grandchildren.

I’m sure Tomorrows World was predicting this sort of stuff 40 years ago and it’s not happened yet.

chambord
    Free Member

Ikea blinds. Horrible crappy things. Bring back the curtain or sell me cheap LCD windows.

toby1

Reality check;

1) They won’t be able to afford property unless they are part of the 1%
    2) Most dwellings will be bulldozed as they are deemed against efficiency laws and will be replaced with high rise flats to accommodate the sprawling masses that you ‘lot’ keep giving rise to
    3) Unless either a) the mass extinction event kicks in to reduce the plague that is the human race b) food wars result in hundreds of thousands being killed fighting over sugar, corn, wheat, rice.

And, yes, I really am a barrel of laughs.

perchypanther
    Free Member

By the time our kids are grown up they’ll have seen sense and will be fighting each other to buy proper, traditionally built houses with decent sized rooms and gardens and walls that you can hang a picture on

…..instead of these new build timber kit / plasterboard monstrosities which are packed so tightly onto the plots that there’s exactly room for a wheely bin between each house and the front gardens and streets are packed tight with parked cars because the “garage” is designed for all the stuff that doesn’t fit in the house due to the lack of storage space.

wrecker
    Free Member

Most new builds won’t be standing anyway!

Northwind

My sex dungeon. (they might be OK with the sex attic, it’s more tasteful)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Agreed, New Builds will have blown away in the Hurricanes that will follow Global Warming (when/if it arrives)

Glass, for some reason I think windows will become smaller, so they’ll be ripping these huge things out. Too many people getting undressed in full view of the general public for my liking. Typically these “loft spaces” that have 270″ windows and one back wall and some steel uprights holding the roof on.

Blinds, they’ll go, I think glass that tints will be “the next big thing” (if it already hasn’t happened.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Laminate flooring

+1

And feature walls, Miss’ loves them, our living room has 3 different wallpapers FFS! In it’s defence it’s a big living/dining room so delineating the space is necessary, but it sounds OTT, and every other room has a ‘feature’ wall.

Net curtains. “Ohhhh look, a lovely window, block it out. Ohhh a dual aspect room, twice as many net curtains!”

Any wired data cables.

I don’t mind MDF, it has it’s place. As long as it’s not somewhere that’ll get dinged, it’s quick and easy to work with, even a nincompoop can get a good finish.

House we’re moving into has some sort of wood veneer floor. I’m having nightmares as to how to go about removing it. I think some rooms will be ok to sand/polish but I know the sofa has worn a hole through in the living room.

footflaps

By the time our kids are grown up they’ll have seen sense and will be fighting each other to buy proper, traditionally built houses with decent sized rooms and gardens and walls that you can hang a picture on

They already are, in the South East Victorian / Georgian houses go for a premium as they’re actually well built and have something called natural light entering them.

Most dwellings will be bulldozed as they are deemed against efficiency laws

Living in an 1890s Victorian house, I can report that the heating cost is pretty small, think we pay £400/year gas bill. Hardly breaking the bank, at less than 1/3 the cost of the Council tax bill.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Everything.

ChrisL

I remember someone connected to the building industry telling me that in some years time MDF will be treated with about as much affection as Asbestos is now. He reckoned that the dust it produces when cut/sawn/sanded will turn out to be pretty unpleasant stuff.

jools182
    Free Member

MDF is bloody awful stuff

As well as being toxic it’s also horrible to work with, it’s like cardboard

For some reason my brother told me it’s the best stuff for skirtings and architrave, and as a result, it’s all over my house now

I really don’t like it

or decorators caulk

bag of

Cougar

Living in an 1890s Victorian house, I can report that the heating cost is pretty small, think we pay £400/year gas bill

Living in an 1890s Victorian house, I can report that the heating cost is bloody astronomical. I’m paying more than twice that just for gas (hot water, GCH and a gas fire, cooker is electric). Pretty sure that one of the first things my fictional children will rip out is the boiler.

trailhound101

Those gas fires that look like beach pebbles or drift wood on a “stone” plinth surrounded by stainless. We put one in 10 years ago and it’s looking pretty ghastly already… and it puts out bu88er all heat!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I remember someone connected to the building industry telling me that in some years time MDF will be treated with about as much affection as Asbestos is now. He reckoned that the dust it produces when cut/sawn/sanded will turn out to be pretty unpleasant stuff.

It’s bad, like any dust, slightly more so because it’s got a lot of glue in it, but it’s not mesothelioma bad.

For some reason my brother told me it’s the best stuff for skirtings and architrave, and as a result, it’s all over my house now

I did give the caveat………..

As long as it’s not somewhere that’ll get dinged

perchypanther
    Free Member

Living in an 1890s Victorian house, I can report that the heating cost is bloody astronomical. I’m paying more than twice that just for gas (hot water, GCH and a gas fire, cooker is electric). Pretty sure that one of the first things my fictional children will rip out is the boiler.

Or, in my case, Boilers. 2 of them. One for upstairs. One for downstairs.
    You REALLY wouldn’t want my gas bill in a Scottish winter. 🙁

It’s a minor inconvenience though compared to the upside of living in an 1890’s Victorian house. 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m going for mdf – there’s tons of it used in all the swanky refurbs I work in.

If someone doing a “Swanky Refurb” for me used MDF as anything other than racking in the back of his van, he’d be asked politely to leave.

tonyg2003

Pretty much everything electrical and gadget wise

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If someone doing a “Swanky Refurb” for me

I thought you were a mobile car washer, no?

Kryton57

Your not doing my colleagues extension in Clifton by any chance are you?

Cougar

It’s a minor inconvenience though compared to the upside of living in an 1890’s Victorian house.

There are upsides? I abhor mine.

andyl
    Free Member

Linoleum flooring!

In fact I hope in future any man-made materials that cannot be recycled or bio-degraded will be abolished in construction. That goes for caulking, silicone sealants, MDF, laminate etc

convert

If someone doing a “Swanky Refurb” for me used MDF as anything other than racking in the back of his van, he’d be asked politely to leave.

MDF gets a bad rep. If I told you the major substrate at the core of this is MDf would you be surprised? It’s much better than solid timber to veneer onto as it is so stable. Agreed I wouldn’t want a house full of it, but it has it’s place.

http://barnsley-furniture.co.uk/cabinets/oak-radius-sideboard

P-Jay
    Free Member

Laminate flooring, decking and MDF – basically everything ‘Handy Andy’ slapped in, in the 90s – my Mum, bless ‘er has the whole of her ground floor covered in laminate, its criminal because I know there’s a beautiful park-A (sorry I don’t know how it’s spelt) floor underneath it which just needed some work.

As for the whole doom and gloom no one will ever own their home again thing – you’re thinking too short-term, without first time buyers there is no market. Mark my words, as soon as the banks are liquid again there will be a house building boom, yes they’ll be crap, but it will rebalance the market. It’s already started in Cardiff – 20k new homes underway or soon will be, with another 26k coming over the next 10 years. That’s enough for roughly 100k people in a city of 320k

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Back to the OP though, I would imagine wooden decking in the garden will be seen as a massive pain in the ass,

Why would anyone want to have access to something that gets wet and slippy is beyond my undestanding.
    Conservatories: To hot in summer and too cold in winter. I mean why?

onehundredthidiot

Massive tvs. Used to walk along certain streets in Edinburgh and the tvs were so massive they lit the street.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

What’s with the boiler water tap hated?? I’ve had one for 2 years and tbh come a kitchen redesign or house move it’s one of the things at the top of my must have list.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What will our children rip out of our houses with disgust?’ is closed to new replies.