Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • what tyres
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

so looking for a tyre for gloopy mud conditions and rolls easy without dragging…..also doesnt collect too much mud…idealy spaced knobbles.
    what are you lot looking for out there for over the winter months.. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

There is a mud tyre review in this month’s magazine

elaineanne
    Free Member

i didnt get the mag…infact i dont buy them anymore…lol

flashes
    Free Member

Panaracer trailrakers……..

Northwind

No such thing as far as I can tell. Mud X rolls decently well for a mud tyre but I really couldn’t get on with on the front, always seemed to be waiting for an excuse to slide on rocks etc.

Just trying Kenda’s Telonix, seems really excellent as a rear but I’ve not tried it in really sticky mud yet- it’s got a lot of small spikes and paddles so digs in and shovels excellently, and rolls surprisingly fast… but might clog. Wee bit drifty in corners so I’m not sure how well it’d work on the front.

But overall, I’d say Swamp Things and grow bigger legs.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

+1 in 1.95 width

ratherbeintobago

Mud X rolls decently well for a mud tyre but I really couldn’t get on with on the front, always seemed to be waiting for an excuse to slide on rocks etc.

+1. Really slidey on wet rock; Fire XC Pros I was running before much, much better and not much worse in the muck (when new).

Andy

rewski
    Free Member

Spesh Storms are the new Mud X’s for me. Mind you it’s still dry as a bone on the South and North Downs, until next week 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spesh storms 2 for 35 quid at bikeplus. sorted.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great tyres but in no way can they be described as ones that roll easily!

Northwind

Aye, I like the recommends for Trailrakers, make my “Swampthings and bigger legs” suggestion look positively sensible :mrgreen:

elaineanne
    Free Member

anyone got any of these…. mite give em a go ? not made up my mind yet…..
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/schwalberocketronperformancefoldingtyrewithorc.aspx?&id=16666

HantsNightRider
    Free Member
    elaineanne
    Free Member

wow alot cheaper there !,…… yup possible next tyre… i normally ride size 26x 2.10…. the 26 x 2.25 is not available..(request stock alert) so i did…. havent had 2.25 tyre size before….would this size be ok..? size wise….. i have plenty of clearance…

Northwind

From what little I remember of those, they were better in mud than I’d expected from such a fast racy tyre, but still pretty bloomin awful. Cleared very fast, but didn’t really grip.

bigjim

nobby nic has been good for me so far on the front, thinking of putting one on the back too. Its not super-muddy here though, kind of medium muddy 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Still looking to better Kenda Nevagals which are grippy + lightweight + roll well

jamesb
    Free Member

SCHWALBE BLACK SHARKS 2.1; better than Trailrakers if encounter rocky sections too, clear mud very well, pretty good on other surfaces too.:)

ratherbeintobago

anyone got any of these

Rocket Rons aren’t what I’d describe as mud tyres. Can you clarify whether you’re after a true mud tyre (eg. Mud X) or a trail tyre with good mud shedding (in which case you might as well go for the mighty Fire XC Pro)?

Andy

elaineanne
    Free Member

its not all mud…till i get on the tops so i want something thats abit racey too….
    i normaly have Kenda nevegals in the winter-but they dont last very long (i seem to wear them out very quickly ?

northwind….you said those tyres were better in the mud than you expected but didnt realy grip ???? thats sounds wierd..lol
    maybe i should have one of those tyres up front and a kenda something at the rear ( will check the kenda range out agin..duno which to have blue groove or nevegal at the back….i think nevegal lasted longer last winter tho…

grahamt1980

These look interesting

Probably not a full on mud tyre, but I’m tempted to try some over the winter

Janesy
    Free Member

Those look the same as mudX .
    And at 900grams per tyre – wow

Northwind

elaine anne – Member

northwind….you said those tyres were better in the mud than you expected but didnt realy grip ????

I thought they’d be incredibly s***. Instead they were just bloomin awful. Really not made for it.

Still wanting to try the Barons but they’re very expensive… Also wanting to find out what the Random Conti Ruler has done to them- according to one of the Future mags they come up small but then it’s the same mag that reported the accurately-sized Specialized Eskar as “Big for a 2.3” instead of “Accurately sized, the competition are liars” 😉

dawson

Conti explorers – quite skinny though, supposed to be 2.1, but it doesn’t look it.

Wouldn’t want to try them somewhere rocky, as I expect they will pinch flat really easily, but I had one on the rear last winter and it didn’t clog like Advantages do round my way – will be putting it on when it gets wetter

vegasdave
    Free Member

Medusas are fantastic in the mud,not much cop on anything else.Everything is a compromise. I’m too lazy to chage tyres,Fat Albert on the front(good,but not great) and a well-worn Advantage on the rear(a great all round tyre)

elaineanne
    Free Member

anyone used this website b4 ???
    the same tyres are 24.99 at Evans Cyles… if you buy two tyres on this website it works out even cheaper !

http://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/1482088/products/Schwalbe-Nobby-Nic-Rigid-Tyre-26×2-25.aspx?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

edlong
    Free Member

Which one would anyone recommend that is decent in the muddy gloop of a Yorkshire winter but won’t be totally useless or going bald in five minutes on tarmac?

My mid-week ride is 11 miles, of which only about 4 is off-road (and proper muddy through winter) but the other 7 miles are road, so I need something that will get me to / from the mud as well as through it…

exorcist
    Free Member

Ahh my favorite subject.
    Where we ride we are blessed with the stickiest clay mud known to man. I have tested most types of tyre with from one extreme to the other, this is what I found in my normal riding conditions. (wet and sticky mmm..)
    Wet scream is like cheating in all mud but at over a kilo each you really do wonder if it’s worth the grip downhill when it’s this hard up hill, I even cut down the center knobs 2mm on the rear but they were still hard work. Highrollers are ok, clear pretty well but not much grip in sticky. Nics are less than useless as the suck up all the mud and spit it in to your front mech.
    My best allround mud tyre so far XC Dans combines the knobs of a cut down wet scream but with the carcase of a racing ralph. This thin carcase isn’t great if you also have sharp rocks but my search for my perfect tyre will thankfully never be over 😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

I used to use Trailrakers when i lived in a muddy part of the country. No need for them now – using Maxxis Aspens most the time here in the tropical sarf east.

larrystumbles
    Free Member

Vegasdave ‘Advantage on the rear(a great all round tyre)’ +1.
    I run Advantage 2.25’s front and rear, year round in the peaks cos i cant be arsed to change them. They do clog up in the thickest of mud but otherwise pretty damn good in my opinion

elaineanne
    Free Member

so i dont think there are many tyres out there that will throw the mud off. ive tried quite a few types in the winter and they all collect mud…apart from mountain kings which dont have a thick tread and they roll fast (not for mud) i know but they’re not mud collectors either.. 😉

footflaps

Trailrakers for general riding in middy conditions.

If it’s really bad or racing in the mud, Schwalbe Mud Sharks are unbeatable, but a a bit dangerous on tarmac – very little grip on corners!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

maxxis minions 2.35 mum like me ive had them ever since kenda and there great 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

do they have 2.25 as well ? lol

Taff
    Free Member

Anybody tried THESEbefore? Looking for tyres now and these seem competative pricewise with the bonty’s

elaineanne
    Free Member

hmmm they look good too..lol only the width is wrong…i have similar tyres on my bike but i got the wrong size… 2.0 width…. you can see the difference they look alot thinner when on the bike and i dont feel very confident with this width at all…..luckily i bought them very cheap so im not too bothered for changing them agin… i dont see any other size available on that website Taff..

ratherbeintobago

If it’s gloopy, you want narrower tyres as they’ll cut through the sludge onto firmer ground more easily.

I still reckon you’re looking at things that are a bit too racy for winter. If you’re not after a true mud tyre, you’d be better served with something like Fire XCs/Nobby Nics/Mountain Kings whihc are a reasonable compromise.

Andy

(as an aside, does anyone know what 2.2″ UST X-Kings are like?)

Taff
    Free Member

Got a fire xc on the front and that’s not changing just want a decent rear and my igniter is rubbish. Used to like my jones acx

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘what tyres’ is closed to new replies.