Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What type of lock am I looking for?
  • IA

I’m after a new lock for my back gate. I want something that needs a key from both sides (stop folk hopping the wall and opening it easily), but that I can pull closed and locks itself.

Currently got a rimlock on there which meets the “unlock both sides” requirement, but I also need the key to lock it from the outside when I go out, which is a faff. Also the key for it is massive, which is a bit annoying on the keyring when I’m out on the bike.

I know the type of lock I’m after exists (a deadlock I can pull shut) but I don’t know what it’s called to look for one to fit. I know it exists cos there’s one on the gate at the end of my back lane.

Help me STW, you’re my only hope! 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

IA

What’s that called then? Looks ideal. What am I trying to buy?

DezB
    Free Member

How about these.
    Locks from inside and out. Designed for the job.
    (Have used the company and found them to be very good)

[edit]Ah, prob doesn’t fit …but that I can pull closed and locks itself.

Worth browsing the site anyway 🙂

IA

I can’t seem to find whatever the type of lock flatfish has posted, anyone know what that is?

flatfish
    Free Member

Cheesy is right, it’s a Schlage. They are North American.
    AFAIK there’s no UK importer so unless you want to import some your going to struggle.

The next nearest lock I know of is probably just the job,
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UZybaOoDmc#t=32[/video]
    Skip to 3.15

Doublesided Gate Lock]Gate lock

Edit: just seen Dezb has mentioned the same lock.

DezB
    Free Member

Amazon.com stock the Schlage, so you’d be able to get it shipped over
    http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-B360NV619-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt-Nickel/dp/B0002YQZJY

tonyplym
    Free Member

I think an auto deadlocking nightlatch might suit – something like this one – can be set so that you need the key to turn the handle on the inside, but will then lock closed behind you automatically.

IA

I looked at those, but couldn’t work out if you could set it to require the key to turn on the inside, or if it required closing then locking with the key to do that.

Ahah, found instructions for it. You can kinda do it, I would need to unlock the door, leave the key in the inside, open in, turn the lock again, withdraw key then leave and close the door.

Which is not ideal, but is better so might do.

Stoner
    Free Member

IA the instructions on the Yale site for locking night latches seems to suggest they operate the way you want.

OPERATION
    To deadlock the door, simply pull the door closed behind you. To lock the handle from the inside, give one
    complete turn of the key in the handle.
    To lock the handle when you’re leaving the house unoccupied, perform the same operation with the door
    open, remove the key and close the door behind you. This gives essential security to glass-panelled doors
    or solid doors near windows.
    To hold the lock open, pull back the handle and press the red latch button. To release it, turn the handle. To
    avoid accidental lock-out, the handle can be locked in the open position with a complete, clockwise turn of
    the key in the handle.

IA

Yes I saw those, as I say it’s close but not quite. I’d ideally have the handle locked from the inside too when pulling the gate closed (without the extra key step). But the extra key step probably isn’t a dealbreaker – i’ll have the key in there to unlock the door to get out anyway.

I’m basically trying to cut down the amount of insertion/lock/unlock operations to get out the house and on my way to work of a morning.

Currently:
    unlock backdoor from inside
    go out
    lock backdoor from outside
    unlock back gate from inside
    go out
    lock back gate from outside
    unlock lane gate from inside
    go out
    pull lane gate closed.

And that’s without any unlocking of the commuter outside, which will come. Doesn’t help that it’s an enormous key for the gate either.

tonyplym
    Free Member

The extra step of having to use the key to get out helps avoid the problem of letting yourself out only to realise that you’ve left your keys indoors. I’ve had one of those Yale locks on the front door for the last 20 years and I always leave the inside handle locked – to get out I HAVE to have my keys with me.

footflaps

I always leave the inside handle locked – to get out I HAVE to have my keys with me.

I see that as a safety risk if there is a fire and you want to get out quick, so I’ve filled the inside key hole with araldite so you can’t lock the inside handle and use a separate deadlock if we go out.

IA

I get both arguments, but neither really hold for my case.

I can’t lock myself out the house without the keys anyway. If for some reason I have the house key, but not the gate key I could conceivably lock myself in the back lane – but in this case I could climb my wall, get back into my house then fetch the key.

From the safety point of view, I need a key to get out my back door anyway, so I’m stuffed as it is (well, in reality I can go out the front door, or out a window, or through a window if needs must!)

tonyplym
    Free Member

I see that as a safety risk if there is a fire and you want to get out quick, so I’ve filled the inside key hole with araldite so you can’t lock the inside handle and use a separate deadlock if we go out.

Not a problem for me – I leave the key hanging on a hook within easy reach on my route to the door (and before anyone says, no, the keys can’t be seen or reached via the letterbox by anyone who is outside the door).

flatfish
    Free Member

The amazon lock that Dez mentions has a thumb turn on the other side.

Problem is affixing the lock.
    All retaining/fixing screws are on the inside(of the door) of any lock, concealed from attack by burglars on the outside, meaning if it was fitted to gate, a toe rag could climb your gate/fence/wall and undo two screws and the lock/gate is wide open.

How thick is the stile on your gate?
    Pictures please.

Would a euro deadlatch like below work?
    Obviously you’ll need a euro double cylinder to go with it.

linky

footflaps

Not a problem for me – I leave the key hanging on a hook within easy reach on my route to the door (and before anyone says, no, the keys can’t be seen or reached via the letterbox by anyone who is outside the door).

Possibly not, but if you had guests who were trying to escape from a smoke filled corridor, would they find the keys or die next to them….

IA

I know anything I do won’t be that secure, and someone could always jimmy it open or unscrew some screws to remove the hinge/lock/whatever. I’m not aiming for ultimate security, i just don’t want them to be able to easily hop/reach over and open it. I’m just aiming to make it a little more awkward if they have to stand in the security light and fiddle with it, even for a few seconds.

As with a lot of security I just don’t want to make it an easy target.

Maybe I’m over-thinking this, and should just use a latch I can open with a lever on the inside, the back lane is gated with a more secure metal gate anyway…

IA

Would a euro deadlatch like below work?
    Obviously you’ll need a euro double cylinder to go with it.

Hmm, could be a good solution as it’s a euro cylinder lock on the back door, so could make them keyed alike I assume.

I could make a deadlatch like that fit, I can attach an extra bit of wood to get the thickness (probably borderline just now). I know it’d have visible screws etc, but see above…

flatfish
    Free Member

If you need to put a baton of wood to make the gate thicker, use screws AND glue then the lock should be more secure in there.

Euro cylinders are dead easy to key alike.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What type of lock am I looking for?’ is closed to new replies.