Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What trail saw?
  • z1ppy

Been using a Wilkinson sword retractable pruning saw for a while but the blade is very thin so bends, if while sawing it catches and you continue to push (saw). It does work very well though

Have always heard that the mighty Mr. Mears recommended (and sells – although it’s a lot cheaper on amazon) Bahco Lap Laplander Folding Saw was the one to buy

Any thoughts?

Yes I do regularly ride with this in my pack, can’t be doing with trail blockages. I’d rather stop once and deal with it, and not have to come back to do it later (or be stopped on the same trail twice).

dropoff

Definately second Bacho saws, use them at work where they stand up to the abuse really well.

carbon337
    Free Member

we use some similar to that bacho one but made by Wilkinson sword. They are all bendy just be carefull with them. Some are cheap as chips on ebay.

wormhole

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/foldingsaws.html

IMO these are the mutts nuts, use them at work often and no complaints.

z1ppy

we use some similar to that bacho one but made by Wilkinson sword. They are all bendy just be carefull with them

Sorry are you saying the Bacho blade bend too, or the newer WS ones still bend?
    I’ve tried to be careful, hense it lasted quite a while (or bent back ok), but when your mid flow and it jams, it’s difficult to come to stop without bending the damned thing.

jedi

get a silky gomtaro

jemima
    Free Member

I use the Wilkinson sword one you have fairly often and find it does perfectly well up to about 4″ in diameter – bigger is possible with care. Haven’t found much issue with the blade bending. Just follow the advice of every woodwork teacher in the country and let the saw do the work and use increased pressure on the backstroke!

Northwind

I’ve got one of those retracting Wilkinsons, you’re right, they’re a bit crap, though they do cut reasonably well.

This is what the trailfairies at GT use:
    http://www.toolsdirect2u.co.uk/products/stihl-00008814110-handycut-folding-saw
    They’re decent, pretty tough too but a lot of them have the tips broken off, then again they’re largely being used by people who have no idea what they’re doing.

burmaboy
    Free Member

ive always wanted one of these since i saw it on the gadget show. wicked tool.

dropoff

This is my favourite Pruning saw for work and fits in the mule for the trails. Will take down 8″ trunks with a bit of effort.

z1ppy

There a reason why I did metalwork and not woodwork Jemima…

Have seen those hand chainsaws before, but wonder how good they really are. When you trying to chop up a tree (not a nice log) that fallen, the weight will push down and clamp the blade shirely? Where as a saw, you can attack the underside, until it starts to clamp, pull it out and start on the top….

Bugger, now I’ve got to many varied reccommendations.
    Cheers guys

jedi

silky all the way

Northwind

burmaboy, the Webtex hand chainsaws are pretty good, there’s a knack to using them though and they’re only as good as the engine :mrgreen: Cheap too. I’ve broken one of the handles on mine though, need to figure something out for that.

The Bahco ones dropoff linked are ace, the curve means they cut very easily for regular stuff but I saw fallen trees that must have been 9 inches sectioned up with them at the weekend. I wouldn’t try that myself mind but I wouldn’t have believed it if I’d not seen it.

Trekster

Been using the el cheapo Aldi one for ages with nae problems

As jemima says;

Just follow the advice of every woodwork teacher in the country and let the saw do the work and use increased pressure on the backstroke!

Learned that as a kid cutting wood for the fire with me Dad 😆

alexonabike

Felco 600 – great little saw for around £20.

Or Silky.

Kuco

Second a Silky Gomtaro. Its what I use at work as well.

alexonabike

I always thought the Gomtaro was fixed, not folding – not really suitable for carrying in a pack as a ‘just-in-case’ tool. Silky do make some folding ones too.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I’ve got a bahco laplander and its awesome.cut through ten inch tree with not much effort and doesn’t really ever jam.blades are bendy but strong way better than being stiffer and snapping

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m a bit nervous about googling “silky bigboy”

Kuco

Yes the Silky Gamtaro is fixed but the 240mm will fit into mot packs. Only take it when I know it’s needed.

GEDA
    Free Member

I have been using the same one as you but it is branded as fiskars. Does not seem bendy and has cut down 7 inch diameter trees nae bother. It is dead sharp.

singlespeedstu

z1ppy.

I’ve just ordered one of those hand chainsaws so i’ll be keeping my end of the trails open too. 8)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of the retractable wilkinson sword ones – they cut well, but they’re thinner and more prone to breakage than some of the standard cheapies on the market. I’ve been using a couple of 9.99 ones from whereever I can get them. They do go blunt a bit quicker, but don’t break half as easily.

I’ve got a webtex chain saw, which is handy for bigger stuff – usually I use it as a two man team on larger stuff.

I also carry a brush axe if I know I’ll be out for a good bit of trail thrashing.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Bahco Laplander for me. I pruned back nearly half a mile of our tree lined driveway with one, still super sharp. Best £15 I’ve ever spent.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAHCO-Laplander-Folding-Survival-Pruning-Bushcraft-Saw-/380314825432?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item588c87b2d8

PaulB
    Free Member

Silky if you can afford it – they are the best. Longer blade. Why do tree surgeons use them? What I use.

Laplander is good and readily available, the blade will bend, but will not shatter. Spares can be purchased. Heavyish. What I let groups/ unskilled use.
    Gerber exchange-a-blade saw, very sharp (Silky sharp) blade may shatter if over flexed, similat to Wilkinson’s, comes with two blades, v cheap on flea bay. Lighter. Comes with cover. What I use for rescues whilst canoeing/kayaking.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

z1ppy

Stu, be interested to know how you get on with it.

As I want something to carry 90% of the time, I believe a ‘folder’ would be better for me, though obviously the sheathed ones are probably better saws. None of the sites describe the total length of them (including the handle), but I believe they’ll be to big for inside my pack (don’t need to look like a cycle warrior with it strapped to the outside of my pack 😉 )

So silkyfox or laplander.. Again thanks for the feedback

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What trail saw?’ is closed to new replies.