Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What to do in NYC for a weekend?
  • ads-b
    Free Member

After getting some cracking ideas for what to do in Beijing the other month from the STW masseeve, i am hoping you would help me with New York for a weekend.

I am the worst tourist in the world. I get bored quickly and dont like looking at things for more than 5 mins. So what would you recommend for an active person with a short attention span?

Ta

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Active-early morning run in central park, or cycle around the edge of the island-track goes almost all the way around, and there’s even a ‘mountain bike trail’ in Highbridge Park!
    Lots and lots and lots of other stuff to do Top of the Rock, Central Park, walk back from Brooklyn over Brooklyn Bridge, cable car to Roosevelt Island, circle line cruise around island, Ellis Island, Wall St., gnd zero, etc., etc.
    Alternatively, just wander round, people watch, soak up the atmosphere.

parkesie
    Free Member

take some walkin shoes and go wandering around take the subway get lost find the ghost busters fire station try and find central perk :wink:.

Amazing place.

mk1fan
    Free Member

http://westsidepistolrange.com/newtoshooting.php

Pretty cool. In a primative way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jebus.

NYC is awesome, you’d need to be a loon to get bored there!

DaRC_L

You’ve got to have breakfast in a proper diner…

It was fascinating walking from central park to the staten island ferry just seeing the changes in the Manhatten from uptown to downtown.

My mate worked out a route that included where Sid Vicious died, the front cover of Led Zep’s Physical Graffiti, a New York Dolls album cover with various places used in the Godfather inbetween.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Katz Diner was good. Had lunch with one of the waitresses which was odd.

andygreener

+ 1 for Katz plus I’d recommend the open top bus like you get in any big city I think their awsome been on one everytime i’ve been x8 with different people. Each guide is different so even if you ride the same one twice you’ll learn something new. Plus you can hop on and off whenever.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

eating-wise……

the crooked knife on east 30th street, awesome!

montylikesbeer

As above a walk around central park is a must, plus the lower east side for diners as well as some great places in Greenwich Village, especially the best pizza ever (including Italy in my opinion) at Joe’s Pizza on 6th and Bleecker.

Then head down to battery park and catch a ferry tour over to Ellis Island (no trip to NY is complete without out it in my view)

Central Station is a must with another great food spot, head on down to The Oyster Bar in the basement, miss the high price stuff and head to the booth on the side of the restaurant which does take away at low prices.

The best bet by far though is to book a Big Apple Greeter ( big apple greeter )

It does not charge and is real New Yorkers giving their time up to show you around. You have to book but its the best 3 hours you can have.

We got a retired Columbia University professor of Architecture, who gave us an amazing walking tour as well as free passes for the Metro which got us over to Brooklyn so we got the best view of NYC and a great walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Give it a try cos its free !!

tommytowtruck

A fantastic city – I think it’s all pretty much been covered above. I would definitely recommend the big apple greeter as mentioned by monty.
    Enjoy.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

montylikesbeer – Joe’s pizza isn’t a patch on John’s pizza, also on Bleeker Street!!

montylikesbeer

Thing is with NY its hard to get bad food in my view.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

USS Entrepid; even as a non military geeky girlie I enjoyed it.
    Central Park for a mosey around.
    STate of liberty via the free Staten Island ferry.
    Top of Rockefeller to see Empire State at a distance.
    Grand Central Station – as seen in friends but architecture pretty cool.

All of the above are shortish and most of them free!!! Food is phenomenal there and you can’t go wrong. Waht time of year are you going?

ti456neal
    Free Member

+1 for the top of rock! We did it at night and it was awesome seeing Chrysler and empire state all lit up! Awesome picture opportunity! Tbh all we did was just walk around and take in the attractions as we came across them. NYC is truly amazing and I cant wait until my little one is big enough so i can go again even though I’ve done it twice. Shopping is good, although the prices aren’t as great as they used to be, food available anywhere, cheap and insanely reliable transport on the underground, the market stalls in battery park,and just so much to take in as you wander. If you want to do the empire state, buy the tickets online, print them out before you leave uk and not only are they cheaper than on the door, but you also breeze past all the queues and straight into the elevator to the top! Enjoy!

Diane
    Free Member

Ellis Island

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I didn’t liek the shopping in NY I thought it was the same as anywhere else! Mr MC even took me to Tiffany saying he’d buy me something, I couldnt’ be ar**** to look through 7 floors… am I one of the few girlies out there who turned down jewellry from Tiffany???

would love to go back.

peterfile
    Free Member

start a riot and loot the Nike concept store

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What to do in NYC for a weekend?’ is closed to new replies.