Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What to do in Edinburgh for the day
  • wallop

As per title really, will be arriving in Edinburgh at 8am next Friday and will spend a few hours there. First required recommendation is somewhere nice to go for breakfast, please!

Thanks all.

donsimon
    Free Member

My usual advice is to stay away from the touristy thinks and do what the locals do.
    I fear that going to an internet cafe to bang on a keyboard all day isn’t going to be a satisfactory day out. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go and see TJ’s Troll Museum.

😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends what interests you…wander round the Royal Mile/old town can be cool, Castle is overpriced IMO but good views from by the entrance, there are a few good art galleries & museums (refurbed museum near RM) , Calton Hill for good views

IA

Go and see TJ’s Troll Museum.

The national musuem or the various galleries are a good shout actually, if you’re into that sort of thing.

How(ie where) are your arriving? Will affect breakfast recommendations…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The tourist bus tour is suprisingly good and useful as you can get on and off in differnt places. There is a posh cafe on princes street that has fantastic views and I can’t remember what its called? anyone?

wallop

Flying up then getting the bus in from the airport. Looking at the bus route, I presume we should get off at West End, but I’m not exactly sure where that is.

CaptJon
    Free Member

helmet shopping with TJ, surely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get the bus right to waverly where it stops – or st andrews square if it stops there. dunno what the state of the traffic is at the momnet.

walter scott tea room on princes street is the one I was thinking of IIRC

wallop

Great, thanks. I like galleries and museums, especially if they are free!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No shortage of galleries and museums within walking distance of where the bus stops

vorlich
    Free Member

Looking at the bus route, I presume we should get off at West End, but I’m not exactly sure where that is.

The West End is just after Haymarket. You’ll be after the #100 bus. Keep your eyes peeled for Haymarket station on the right. You’ll get to enjoy the daily clusterfu.ck at rush hour [bear this in mind when heading back to the Airport]. It’s not unusual to be sat stationary at Haymarket for 40mins.

Why not head to Edinburgh Uni The University of Edinburgh for a game of spot the toff?

Or, if you fancy a walk and it’s not blowing a gale and/or pishing doon, go for a wander up Arthur’s Seat.

Princes St is best avoided though, on one side the gardens and Castle are beautiful. The other side is full of tatty or empty shops.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Isn’t there that “camera obscura” thingy still there, up near the gates of the castle (dunno the street, hazzard a quess at castle street, hehee)
    Whiskey museum I seem to remember is up there too.
    And a few nice “old” pubs along some cobbled streets in and around the castle..

Bare in mind it’s been best part of 18 yrs since I’ve been there though yeah. 😛

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Pubic Triangle?

GrahamS

There is a posh cafe on princes street that has fantastic views

Starbucks?

wallop

Is it possibly worth getting off the bus at haymarket then?

jamiep
    Free Member

Around Haymarket will be fine on the bus coming into town from the airport. If you get off there you will only have to walk 10-15 mins to somewhere around Waverley anyway. Sit tight til after haymarket

With the tram works, the bus won’t go down Princes St but the parallel George St. Get off anywhere on G St or at its end: St Andrew’s Sq, which is just round the corner from Waverley

EDIT: go up the Walter Scott monument for great views of the city. Only £3

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wallop – Member

Not in my view – you would be better to wait until st andrews square.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or wait until the trams finished eh..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

See how many laps of Arthur’s Seat you can do?

LeeW

Go and see the Panda.

GrahamS

See how many laps of Arthur’s Seat you can do?

See if you can beat the 2m40s record:
    http://www.arthursseatchallenge.co.uk/

domino

You can easily spend a whole day in the National Museum of Scotland – and its free, there are lots of buttons to press. Walk there from Waverley.

cynic-al
    Free Member

wallop – Member

To get to the Modern Art Galleries and a lovely wander to Stockbridge along the Water of Leith for a nice lunch/touch of designer & charity shopping, yes, otherwise no.

samuri
    Free Member

the camera obscura thing is great, recommended. What’s that thing down by Arthur’s seat?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Go down to Ocean Terminal, hire a BMX and play in the park for a few hours.

mustard
    Free Member

Go down to Ocean Terminal, hire a BMX and play in the park for a few hours.

only if you pefer to get a bus to Peffermill from Leith than town 😀 Transgression Park

arrpee
    Free Member

Breakfast at Valvona and Crolla:

http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/index.html

Lunch at The Dogs:

http://www.thedogsonline.co.uk/

Catch a movie at the Filmhouse if the weather’s gash:

http://www.filmhousecinema.com/

konabunny
    Free Member

You’ll get to enjoy the daily clusterfu.ck at rush hour [bear this in mind when heading back to the Airport]. It’s not unusual to be sat stationary at Haymarket for 40mins.

S’awright, just jump on the trams, they’re scheduled to be finished by now so-ffffffuuu…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

samuri – Member

the camera obscura thing is great, recommended. What’s that thing down by Arthur’s seat?

Dynamic earth?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Go and see the Panda.

Well, that’s settled it then! You must go and see this mysterious Panda!

samuri
    Free Member

Dynamic earth?

Yeah, that’s it. Or homebase.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Has the one at Ocean Terminal closed or have Transgression opened another?

mattbee

Bit of shooting?

mustard
    Free Member

Ocean Terminal has closed. I don’t know the story but I got the feeling that they got the bootbut I could be doing someone a diservice there and have the completly wrong end of the stick – it may have been a choice due to space constraints.

Ocean Terminal closed before they built the new site [/quote]The entire park at Ocean Terminal has now been dismantled and all the reusable wood has been moved to the new unit

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Breakfast at the basement cafe under the National Gallery, access from Princes Street Gardens. (Best black pudding ever.) Stroll up The Mound and have a mooch along the Royal Mile and the closes off, then up to the National Museum for a look around and elevenses. Down to the Grassmarket for a lunchtime pint.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Arthur’s seat

Scott monument.

hugor
    Free Member

Love Edinburgh! Such a beautiful city. Personally I enjoyed just walking around and taking it all in.
    Arthurs seat and the Scraggs are great walks. Take the longer options from dynamic earth.

dh
    Free Member

wonderland lothian road.

wallop

Great stuff, thanks everyone!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Edinburgh for the day’ is closed to new replies.