• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by scud.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What tires for: XC/endurance riding/racing in winter, in Scotland
  • krixmeister

Back in Scotland after a long stint overseas. Over the last few December MTB rides I’ve realized that my Vittoria Peyote/Mezcal are great in Texas, not so much on wet rocks and mud here in Scotland.

So, need a tire recommendation. Most of my riding is endurance/XC type stuff, I’m a wuss so no major hucking. I am a weight-weenie, so would prefer lighter weight if poss. 2.2 or 2.3 (current tires are 2.35, juuuuust fit on the rear).

Most of my riding is NOT on particularly muddy stuff, more Scottish granite-y stuff.

I have some Mountain Kings that seem OK, if quite heavy. I’ve used Schwalbe Rocket Rons/Racing Ralphs in the past, been happy enough except in the really claggy stuff, and on tarmac to/from rides.

Thoughts?

lucien

I’ve been impressed with my Ardent Race tyres, on both grip and durability.  Live on the south, so plenty of wet / slop not much in the way of rocks.

martinhutch

Combination of Bontrager XR3/2 front, XR2/1 rear, depending on how skilled/daft you are. XR3/2 seems to cope as well as can be expected on wet rock and mud, and is a fast rolling combination on everything else. Doubt you’d want anything much draggier than that for XC/endurance.

They come in 2.2

Ben_H

Maxxis Forekaster?

notlocal
    Free Member

A mate uses these https://msctires.com.au/products/tractor-29-x-2-20-tubeless-ready-2c-xc-race-pro-blackwall?variant=8172449955885
    Not sure where you are in Scotland, but he rates them for Deeside use.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

If you’re Vittoria loyal, the Barzo is grippier than your current set up.

Yak

Barzos is good. Still quite small/low tread though. Maybe step it up with an XR4 2.4 on the front. It’s more a 2.3 but still xc ish weight (sub 800g) .

scotroutes

I like the XR4s too. They seem to handle winter (soft / wet) really well without being too draggy for “summer” use and I try to avoid changing tyres.

Kryton57

Vittoria Gato 2’s are a bit of a surprise.   My head can’t get around the tread pattern enough to put it on the front but it is a great rear for sure.   I use mine with a Barzo up front for winter rides & racing albeit down south – get the TNT version.

philjunior
    Free Member

RR/RR is what I go for for that sort of stuff. Cope surprisingly well in filth. Roll well out of filth. Go for liteskin front, snakeskin rear (or liteskin both ends if you’re lighter than me/brave). Yet to experience any MTB tyre that rolls that well, let alone with that level of grip in the slop.

Vittoria do make some supple fast rolling tyres, but I don’t know which ones if any would fit the bill.

scud
    Free Member

Ive stuck with new Racing Ray on front and Racing Ralph rear, they are available as a pair from r2 bikes at the moment as a deal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What tires for: XC/endurance riding/racing in winter, in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.