Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What three season synthetic sleeping bag?
  • onandon
    Free Member

Looking for a general use bag. Not bothered if mummy or square end.
    I know nothing about sleeping bags but happy with a budget of 150ish

What to buy?

dknwhy

Mountain hardwear lamina.

ton

snugpac. ton’s of choice

devash
    Free Member

For 150 you’d get a fairly decent down bag. Something like an Alpkit pipedream.

80£ would get you a decent synthetic bag. I’ve got a Mountain Equipment Starlight 2 and a Starlight 3 bag. The 2 is supposedly good down to 3 degrees celcius, the 3 to below zero. I haven’t used the 3 yet. The 2 has been more than warm enough so far.

mark90
    Free Member

Been happy with my Snugpac and Mountain Equipment synthetics bags. Don’t know what current models are, though snugpac don’t do that needles turnover of models anyway.

bornonaboat

I have a force 10 catalyst 400 down bag that is pretty good, I sleep warm anyway but have happily used it all year round.

£139 brand new on eBay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=force+10+catalyst+400&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xforce+ten+catalyst+400.TRS0&_nkw=force+ten+catalyst+400&_sacat=0

onandon
    Free Member

Thanks but not interested in down.

A central zip would be a nice to have.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Lamina 35 is very nice, but check the size the long version is hard to find

epicyclo

Anyone used the Buffalo bags?

km79
    Free Member

The Snugpak Softie bags work for me. Good range of lengths, widths and temperatures available to suit. Well made, pack small and last a long time.

devash
    Free Member

Is weight an issue OP? Even a decent 3 season synthetic bag can weigh upwards of 1.5kg.

sofatester
    Free Member

Snugpak would be my choice for a decent synthetic bag.

scotroutes

Lamina – choose how warm you want. I fnd the 35 suitable for all but the coldest nights.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/lamina-35/

1.1Kg for the long version

CountZero

I picked up an Aldi bag with a left-hand zip on-line recently for £10. Really very snug and warm bag, I already have one with a right-hand zip, they’re supposed to zip together, but I bought them several years apart, so they don’t match up exactly, but for a total outlay of £30 – well, I really don’t care.
    Worked just fine on really pretty chilly nights last Octobrr with just a cotton liner on a Gelert 10cm SI mattress.

onandon
    Free Member

After some searching I’m pretty sure I want a hoodless bag. I’ll keep looking

trail_rat
    Free Member

“really very snug and warm bag”

I’m sure that will reassure him he wont have a cold sleepless night in the third season…….has it got a comfort rating?

Why do you want a hoodless bag ? That’s not a super common thing on decent 3 seasons bags

Snugpak are a decent not super pricy brand . I have a travelpak 3 season from them comes with a mozzie net built into the hood and is rated to -6

How ever for synthetics I’d just buy which ever has thee right comfort range for your expected use and is cheapesr.

tuboflard

I’ve always rated Mountain Equipment bags. Their Aurora bags look good;

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/aurora-i

And can pick this one up online at about £150. Unless you know you’re going to be sleeping somewhere damp or wet, or aren’t wanting to look after it, I’d still look at down bags.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Downs only good for its low weight and packability vs warmth.

For almost anything bar lightweight backpacking and bike packing synthetic a better bet imo. Easier to clean . Easier to dry if it does get wet . Warmer if it gets wet . Cheaper , less fussy about storage and airing and a good bit more robust generally as down bags seem to be light as **** material to get good loft in the bag

All depends on end use imo. ( Ave got a couple of down bags that are generally my go toos if I’m bike or back packing – but car camping I take my synthetic hi gear bag – it’s cheap – warm – cotton inside so nicer to sleep in and easy to wash

onandon
    Free Member

After years of using down jackets and swapping to synthetic, I’m a convert and really don’t need the faff with the cleaning routine.
    My stuff gets used and throw In a washing machine – yes with whatever special cleaner but drying down is a pain in the arse.
    Bag weight isn’t an issue so synthetic all the way.

Thanks for the options but not seen anything tempting yet. I find the hoods annoying so would rather do away with it.
    If all else fails, I’ll buy one of those cheap shite Ines I had as a kid in 80s 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Picked up a mountain hardware lamina for £57 from blacks about 6 weeks ago. Also this is a bargain.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012BDHTW/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

big_n_daft
    Free Member

1.1Kg for the long version

If you can point me at somewhere with the long version in stock I’d be grateful

mafiafish
    Free Member

Might be a bit pricey but the mountain hardwear hyperlamina/ lamina series sound perfect for what you’re after. Synthetic and designed specifically to be warm when wet, so good for UK conditions/not having to be delicate about your fancy down bag.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What three season synthetic sleeping bag?’ is closed to new replies.